Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

4 Star no more

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

4 Star no more

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 05:40 PM
BobFE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 Star no more

OK, not sure if I'll post any pics of this because this one hurts. I was flying my 4 Star 60 for the first time in about 5 years. In the past several weeks I had worked on the engine, checked over the plane for any problems, checked and replaced the batteries, and balanced the plane. Today I took it out and because the weather was good decided to fly it. Did all the pre-flight checks. Checked the throws on the flight controls, range checked the receiver, checked the batteries, etc. Fuled the plane, started the engine, checked the tuning of the engine, taxied and took off. Flight started out good. The plane was needing a lot of up elevator and I was working on trimming it out. I had just made one lap and was turning the plane around and figuring out how I was going to work the trim on the next pass. I was a little low, but not bad and started the right turn and climb. The plane did not seem to want to climb, then it rolled sharply to the left, then to the right, then left and went nose down into the pasture. When I got to the scene of the crash I knew the plane was done. the fuselage was broken in at least three places with a few of the frames totally destroyed. There was some damage to the right wingtip, but most of the wing was in good condition. The prop was sheered off right at the hub. Not the engine, just the prop.

I really do not have any idea why this plane crashed. I can't think of anything I did to make the plane crash. I know it didn't stall because the airspeed was good. The only things I can think of is either the receiver failed or I got "shot down". I'm still using 72Mhz radios so this is possible. My mother-in-law who was watching said a crop duster flew over a minute or two after the crash. I also know I was on the low rate because the previous turns were normal. I'm now planning on moving up to a spread spectrum type radio for the future. It also makes my choice for the next kit easier. I need another 4 Star 60.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:47 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts
Default RE: 4 Star no more

I feel your pain. Last year my 4*120 snapped a wing off in mid air, and came spiraling down to become one with the earth.

Since it was an ARF and a defect in the build, SIG replaced it with a kit. I finally finished it a few weeks ago and flew it. Flies Great, but a pain to land because it floats, and there is corn on 3 sides.

Better, stronger faster and more nimble, the New 4*120

Old 09-16-2013, 08:24 AM
jimmac

I like your plane what engine do you have in it, I have the kit that will be built one day but I want to put a petrol motor in it.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:44 PM
BobFE

It had an OS .70 4-stroke. Not a really fast engine, but plenty of power.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:18 AM
jetmech05

Sounds like a stall. As flight crew you know you have no idea what the airspeed was but you had good ground speed. Not the same thing.
where was your throttle stick? And how was the engine noise, not climbing, rocking wings, after or while in a bank is classic. If it ever happens again fire wall the throttles figure out the problem later. Sorry for the loss
Old 10-13-2013, 03:04 PM
a70eliminator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I planted mine on Friday, I grabbed it by the rudder to re-position it down the footpath runway and the rudder cracked loose at the base of the fuse, now only being held by monokote. I wanted to fly so bad and all I had was a few T pins in my flight box, I pushed 3 pins at 45 degree angles to stabilize it and made a couple easy no frills flights, by the 3rd flight I had totally forgotton the rudder and pulled a nose down spiral, went to pull out and actually heard the rudder slam down as she continued straight down into the turf 10 feet away from me., DAG NABBITT I hate when that happens!
Old 10-16-2013, 05:59 AM
jetmech05

Good thing no one was around when you planted your plane. Flying an airplane that is not airworthy is dangerous.
food for thought here if you have a problem on the ground it only gets worse in the air
Old 10-16-2013, 10:16 AM
a70eliminator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

For sure 10-4. No way would I have put that one up around people, happened in my own back yard.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:03 AM
jetmech05

You were there
Old 02-02-2014, 07:55 PM
manks7477

My 4 Star 60.

Field was a bit wet, likely saved me from worse damage.

On take off roll hit a puddle

Got through it ok and got into the air.

Coming in for a landing, about 3 feet up and moving slowly, caught a sudden, strong cross wind, too low and slow to recover, pushed the plane into the ground, broke off the main gear, not much other damage, back flying the next weekend.

Plane has been a warrior, since then.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	4277_83292001930_5649359_n.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	1964806   Click image for larger version

Name:	4277_83292006930_7690014_n.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	1964807   Click image for larger version

Name:	4277_83291991930_4030654_n.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	1964808  
Old 02-11-2014, 10:02 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by a70eliminator
I planted mine on Friday, I grabbed it by the rudder to re-position it down the footpath runway and the rudder cracked loose at the base of the fuse, now only being held by monokote. I wanted to fly so bad and all I had was a few T pins in my flight box, I pushed 3 pins at 45 degree angles to stabilize it and made a couple easy no frills flights, by the 3rd flight I had totally forgotton the rudder and pulled a nose down spiral, went to pull out and actually heard the rudder slam down as she continued straight down into the turf 10 feet away from me., DAG NABBITT I hate when that happens!
Sounds like you were a victim of Flying Fever. When you desire to fly overrides you better judgment. I'll bet if it had happened at home before you got to the field you would have fixed it before taking it to field. You're not the first pilot nor the last that has made this mistake. We all do stupid things at some point or another without exception.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:42 AM
N410DC

Originally Posted by BobFE
... I know it didn't stall because the airspeed was good.
A stall is theoretically possible at any airspeed; the angle of attack is the main factor in a stall. Without a video, it's hard to say if the wing stalled, though this is a possibility.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:34 PM
rye
My Feedback: (10)

look at what the only pole at are fleid did
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	tiger.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	1981814  
Old 03-27-2014, 07:27 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by rye
look at what the only pole at are fleid did
The airplane must be a Republican, no left wing!
Old 06-03-2014, 10:03 AM
flybyjohn
My Feedback: (2)

Yep, I have found that the lower your chances are of hitting something, the more likely it will be hit. I have taken a wing off a SeaHawk through a goal post, have nailed a stop sign with a spacewalker, took off the wing of a tower trainer on the wind sock pole on a deadstick landing, and took the engine and landing gear off a Trainer Forty on a top fence rail.

On a more relevent note, I lost my Goofy pilotted 4-star 40 due to a low rx battery. The plane just started flying around goofy like and then finally hit the ground. The plane was beyond repair but I still have half the wing in the garage.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:25 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by flybyjohn
Yep, I have found that the lower your chances are of hitting something, the more likely it will be hit. I have taken a wing off a SeaHawk through a goal post, have nailed a stop sign with a spacewalker, took off the wing of a tower trainer on the wind sock pole on a deadstick landing, and took the engine and landing gear off a Trainer Forty on a top fence rail.

On a more relevent note, I lost my Goofy pilotted 4-star 40 due to a low rx battery. The plane just started flying around goofy like and then finally hit the ground. The plane was beyond repair but I still have half the wing in the garage.
If it weren't for bad luck you would have no luck at all!
Old 06-06-2014, 08:39 AM
zeroback

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
The airplane must be a Republican, no left wing!
You could work for CNN
Old 06-06-2014, 12:14 PM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by zeroback
You could work for CNN
Or if I want to work for Fox I could say The airplane must be a Democrat, no right wing!

If an airplane has no wings would that make the airplane an Independent?
Old 06-06-2014, 03:10 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Or if I want to work for Fox I could say The airplane must be a Democrat, no right wing!

I would say its career was torpedoed.

So far I have only hit the side of a barn with a plane. does hitting another plane count though? I hit one 3 times, twice with the same plane.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:18 AM
zeroback

After careful consideration I would have to say both wings are needed for balanced flight , maybe an independent uses both wings, as surly with no wings they don't fly at all Seems like a problem trying to fly straight with only one wing especially if it is warped. But I have seen it done, so it is possible.

http://youtu.be/Y90vnB6gUME
Old 06-09-2014, 04:56 AM
FlyerInOKC

I know a Pattern pilot that has successfully landed with one wing gone but he is good enough to have won at the Nationals more than once. If it were me I would still be picking up the pieces!
Old 06-09-2014, 07:42 AM
freddy s
My Feedback: (33)

To bad no one here lives near me.Have a 4 star 40 kit,needs to be finished.No one wants it because its not an arf.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:47 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Man that is a bummer .I have been flying the crap out of my 4 star ME 109 bash this year.. So sweet on electric.

Freddy, you aren't gonna finish it up and fly it? Keep that baby for backup just in case !

Last edited by foodstick; 06-10-2014 at 07:50 AM.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:24 AM
freddy s
My Feedback: (33)

I'll keep it on the shelf for now.Maybe finish it or bash it into something interesting.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:55 AM
zeroback

Originally Posted by freddy s
To bad no one here lives near me.Have a 4 star 40 kit,needs to be finished.No one wants it because its not an arf.
Is the kit 4 sale? I'm not a fan ARFs and their built in sloppy workmanship and inherent weakness from people who don't give a crap about what they are doing. Although if I were in a Chinese prison factory building toys for rich people I most likely would not give a crap either. The only way to get a good plane is to do-it-yourself IMHO. Let me know if your interested in selling the kit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.