Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Lost my plane during flight

It happened to me, and is very dangerous as my plane could fall anywhere!
    I have flown R/C's for 30 years and never got into this problem. There were 3 planes in the air, all small electrics, with similar color scheme (white and red/orange) and for a split second I took my eyes from my plane to look for the trim on the transmitter, and looking back could find my plane. In fact, when I looked back I started "flying" another airplane for a split second until I realized it was not my airplane, and for 1 or 2 seconds could not find my airplane in the air, crashing somewhere in the woods. I believe if I had a glow engine plane it would never happened.
    The wing was destroyed and the fuse got a hard blow to the nose. A total loss perhaps, but I decided to rebuild it.
    I have restored the fuselage (will post pictures) and already cut new set of ribs for the new wing.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Hi ARilos
    I have had similar experiences; look at transmitter and then could not find my plane. Now I NEVER look down at the transmitter. Instead I move the transmitter up so it is behind the plane in my line of sight to my plane. Try this trick. It is much easier for us old folks.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Good trick, Villa. But I never had this problem with noisy glow airplanes. Maybe I will bring my Saito back to life again.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Some Pictures.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LA1.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	928.5 KB 
ID:	1921639Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LA2.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	862.4 KB 
ID:	1921640Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LA3.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	818.7 KB 
ID:	1921641Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LA4.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	1921642
    Fuse is being reinforced, "good as new". Wing was badly damaged, has to be rebuilt. Ribs are done.
    Last edited by ARillos; 09-17-2013 at 08:23 AM.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Left wing on magnetic board. Building is much easier with magnets!

Name:	LA5.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	1922382

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I found that flying electric that I really have to concentrate on calculating the planes speed to see if I am losing battery power and never think for a moment to take my eyes off of it. A few times I have flown to the point where it just fell out of the sky. Timers help but sometimes a quick current draw down could happen. Some times quiet flight can be detrimental.

With glow, I have looked down at my transmitter or have taken my eyes off the plane and flew just judging by the engine noise.
    If you love your plane, set it free, if it doesn\'\'t return, you should have checked the battery.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Electrics or glow have their pros and cons. But I really miss the noise from my Saito 91, and I am really considering a return to gas (glow and/or gasoline). I like to build from plans, and electrics are more affordable for building small airplanes.
    Last edited by ARillos; 09-23-2013 at 07:16 PM.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Wow, this could happen with glow also and electric has nothing to do with it.We had a guy do the exact same thing with 4 hanger 9 mustangs and he looked down to check his watch and thought he was flying his plane right until the last guy landed. Funniest thing ever
    This is the real task before us: to reassert our commitment as a nation to a law higher than our own.

Ronald Reagan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Hi ARILLOS
    I suggest you stop finding your plane in the air by the noise it makes. That is dangerous. As the last poster stated, it may not be your plane. I learned yesterday that the same thing happened at our field about one week ago.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Hi Villa,
    The plane is ready and will fly next weekend but I will use your trick for sure. Thanks.

Name:	LA6.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	941.4 KB 
ID:	1926324
    Last edited by ARillos; 10-01-2013 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Added picture

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I can usually find my trims with out looking but my timer I need help with . I will get my spotter , if I have one to look for me and tell what I want to know . Holding it up in front of my face or looking down at it dosent work all that well for me because I need reading glasses . However taking my eyes off my plane is definitely not an option . That is dangerous and will be expensive sooner or later.. You will be lucky if you can locate your plane . I have known planes to fly away forever and be gone . You don't even get the parts back . You have done a very nice job on the repairs . Your plane looks great . Don't forget to check the balance and good luck .
    Ken , Biker BC Cub Brother #6 Ultra Sport Brother # 100 Tiger Club # 7 Pulse Brother # 1 Sig Brother # 58 Top Flight Brother # 9

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Thanks, bikerbc. Eye contact with those critters, will try all the time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Hi bikerbc
    I too have bifocal glasses, so the lower part is for reading. I use a kitchen timer I bought at Walmart that I Velcro to my transmitter. It has very large numbers.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Thanks Villa I don't need Glasses for distance ,only close up so to see my transmitter I would need to put my readers on and then my distance site goes for a dump . .. But the timer is an great Idea .
    Ken , Biker BC Cub Brother #6 Ultra Sport Brother # 100 Tiger Club # 7 Pulse Brother # 1 Sig Brother # 58 Top Flight Brother # 9

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by ARillos View Post
    It happened to me, and is very dangerous as my plane could fall anywhere!
    I have flown R/C's for 30 years and never got into this problem. There were 3 planes in the air, all small electrics, with similar color scheme (white and red/orange) and for a split second I took my eyes from my plane to look for the trim on the transmitter, and looking back could find my plane. In fact, when I looked back I started "flying" another airplane for a split second until I realized it was not my airplane, and for 1 or 2 seconds could not find my airplane in the air, crashing somewhere in the woods. I believe if I had a glow engine plane it would never happened.
    The wing was destroyed and the fuse got a hard blow to the nose. A total loss perhaps, but I decided to rebuild it.
    I have restored the fuselage (will post pictures) and already cut new set of ribs for the new wing.
    Well I've seen the same thing happen to many guys while all were flying glow planes, Unless you're saying if you had glow and the others had EP you'd have been able to distinguish yours from theirs, otherwise not sure why the power source is an issue.
    You're so smart,, you figured out how to read this!! Or maybe ya just got lucky??

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Never seen a magnetic building board what a great way to go!