Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Wanted: Aeromaster landing gear

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Wanted: Aeromaster landing gear

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 08:21 PM
heggen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanted: Aeromaster landing gear

I recently got a wrecked Aeromaster that is rebuildable but is lacking the landing gear. Would anyone out there have a left over landing gear to pass on for the rebuild?
Old 10-10-2013, 03:55 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Aeromaster has simple formed aluminum gear. Lots of suitable substitutes are available. For example:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJ924&P=7

Measure the width of your fuse and the height you need for prop clearance. Then just search through the landing gear available on the Tower site (or elsewhere) for something that suits.

If you can afford it, carbon fiber gear are really nice.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:50 AM
heggen

I had considered the dural aluminum gear, but it lacks the unique shape the wire gear provides. Would still appreciate anyone who can come up with an original Aeromaster wire gear.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:26 AM
mkoe

Originally Posted by heggen
I had considered the dural aluminum gear, but it lacks the unique shape the wire gear provides. Would still appreciate anyone who can come up with an original Aeromaster wire gear.
Make your own. The original Lou Andrews gear was bent 5/32 wire. You still had to wrap and solder the parts together. I have the plans if needed so you can bend your own.

Edited to add: I drew up the gear for you. See attached PDF it is to scale.

MK

Last edited by mkoe; 10-13-2013 at 08:26 AM. Reason: replace Areomaster PDF gear file
Old 10-12-2013, 08:23 PM
heggen

Thanks mkoe. That was very kind of you to go to the trouble of drawing up the gear - and well done, I must say.
I am able to bend and solder my own but bending music wire is not my first choice of things to do in modeling.
I do have the plans and will have to use them to build a whole new fuselage as the wrecked one is very oil soaked and apparently has been rebuilt before. Thankfully the cabane structure is intact and the wings and stab and rudder are in great shape. The rebuild will have the stretched swept wings and a Saito 90. My short wing Aeromaster with an OS 46 is a great airplane but I hear the stretched wing version is even better.
I post this request in hopes that someone out there would have a spare gear remaining after the fuselage and wings have seen their time.
I am not looking for a free hand out. I just want to save some work.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:14 AM
mkoe

Thanks Heggan, I appreciate the acknowledgement. If this had been a few weeks ago I could have gotten you a set of gear. One of the LHS here bought out an estate and there were 14 Aeromasters in it plus a bunch of odd parts for them including gear. I'm sure all is gone, but I will be by there today and will take a look. Maybe if lucky there is a set still laying around.

Mike
Old 10-13-2013, 07:25 AM
heggen

Thank you for your interest in my need for a landing gear. I appreciate your efforts. I look forward to hearing back.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:11 AM
mkoe

Found you a set. a little rusty but solid. PM me with Shipping and contact info.
Mike

Old 01-30-2014, 05:18 PM
Pistenbully101

Mkoe; Thanks HUUUUGE for the plans!!! Any chance there was a 2nd set of gear laying around?? Whats the best wire to wrap with as well. I'm reviving my late fathers '78(I think( Aeromaster) and want the stock gear. Had a guy do a basic restore, but he put plastic gear like on a YAK or something and as we all know, that's unacceptable I greatly appreciate ANY feedback, and thanks again for the plans!!!!
Old 01-30-2014, 07:02 PM
mkoe

use a 20 to 18 gauge solid copper wire, also rough up the music wire with some sandpaper first, use silver solder to bind all together.
mk
Old 02-01-2014, 04:24 AM
Pistenbully101

Crap! I used brass music wire. Not so sure it'll have the strength of the carbon steel wire ANY thoughts on that?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4344[1].JPG
Views:	313
Size:	2.14 MB
ID:	1964268  
Old 02-01-2014, 08:01 AM
mkoe

You need to use music wire, I'm not sure the brass hold up under load. At least you have the bending practice.
mk

Last edited by mkoe; 02-01-2014 at 10:26 AM.