Aeroworks 50CC Mustang Rebuild
I picked up this Mustang from a flier in North Carolina after it had suffered a wing mounting dowel failure. The fuselage bore the brunt of the damage. Wing is in good condition except for the trailing edge where the mounting bolts were located. I traced out all of the parts that I could and will cut them out of the wood that just arrived today.
Here is how she looked after the crash...
I made templates of the formers, servo and equipment mounting trays and of the "good" fuselage side so I can cut new parts for those that were obliterated in the crash.
My wood order arrived today from National Balsa, took them a while to get it to me but the quality looks good for the 1/8" Balsa and lite ply. Also had them ship some triangle stock and 1/8" dowel for reinforcing the rebuilt motor box.
Since I had some free time, I went ahead and started cutting out the replacement fuselage side and motor box parts from the 1/8" ply. I still need to cut out the right side for the motor box, it is a duplicate of the left just being a tad shorter to account for the built in engine thrust. Lightening holes still need to be cut out as well.
I had previously been working on the wing and here are a couple of closeups of the damage done the trailing edge where the bolts ripped out. I will cut the damaged area out and splice in some new hardwood that will be tied into the remaining hardwood block. Once everything is repaired, the top of the wing will be fiberglassed.
This pic shows where I cut out the damaged areas and the new hardwood blocks that I have cut to shape to match the wing profile.
When the wing departed the fuselage, the servo wires and air lines damaged some of the sheeting. I have removed the damaged areas and will replace.
And that is pretty much where I am at right now. I have ordered a new cowling, canopy, cockpit kit and radiator scoop from Aeroworks. I will need to wait until that stuff arrives so I can use the cowling to get the outline for the formers that turned to dust in the crash. The fiberglass wing fillets are pretty messed up as well, but they are not available as replacement parts so I will probably need to go the evercoat route and make them myself.