Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

So, I rebuild my Travel air only for it to fall out of the sky. And so here we are..

So I just posted a thread of me repairing it after buying a damaged plane.

During test flight the plane lost all control and fell from the sky in a downward spin. The plane was for a friend so I used his battery and receiver. It turns out the battery he gave me had previously been in a very bad crash in which a concrete wall was involved. Anyway I think the previous crash pulled the power lead loose from the battery on impact. Its hard to tell as it could of been this impact but its the only clear reason.

So here are the bits:

I'll add another post shortly with details of the rebuild. The fuse it a case of patching together and refitting the servo tray but the wing has suffered massive trauma in several areas where I will need to strip back and rebuild some parts.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Sorry for the loss, some lessons are hard to learn. I guess if you like a challange you can rebuild but arfs are cheap and my time is worth more than trying to rebuild this wreak. Unless it's brand new, discontinued or really special, I chuck them and start over new or buy a good used one. If this is the same radio gear from the previous crash then I would chuck it also.
    If what you believed to be true was false would you want to know the truth?

"You shall know the truth, and the truth will set you free".

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    You don't say what brand radio you were using or the voltage of the battery. If everything worked then I doubt it was a battery connection at the cells. Did you check the battery under load? I don't think I'd be so quick to accept the bad connection theory

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by raptureboy View Post
    Sorry for the loss, some lessons are hard to learn. I guess if you like a challange you can rebuild but arfs are cheap and my time is worth more than trying to rebuild this wreak. Unless it's brand new, discontinued or really special, I chuck them and start over new or buy a good used one. If this is the same radio gear from the previous crash then I would chuck it also.
    The loss is of no concern to me really. It's part of the learning curve.

my time is also worth more than the plane. I could buy another with a couple of hours wages but to me part of the hobby is building and repairing. I find it develops skills and keeps your mind healthy. I also enjoy the sense of achievement when you get a plane back to like new after spending a few nights on the building board.

ill add some repair pics later.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by jetmech05 View Post
    You don't say what brand radio you were using or the voltage of the battery. If everything worked then I doubt it was a battery connection at the cells. Did you check the battery under load? I don't think I'd be so quick to accept the bad connection theory
    It was 35mhz Sanwa radio gear.

what makes you think it wasn't the battery connection if the battery was in a previous crash?

After stripping the the battery down id say it was the battery which resulted in total loss of control.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Because if it had been a connection at the cells I think you would have noticed the battery being intermittent. Hard to believe that you could mount the battery and keep a loose connection intact. If you didn't check your battery voltage under load then my money would be on a depleted battery

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Sometimes we can stall a plane put it into a spin and it seems like we have lost all control.. What were you doing at the time when you lost control ? There is a difference between lost control and loss of connection . Is it possible that you lost control and not connection ? I know that I have done that . Some planes will stall at a fairly high speed . If you are turning and pulling up elevator and suddenly the plane drops a wing and you cant get it to respond to any control inputs that is likely a high speed stall .
    Ken , Biker BC Cub Brother #6 Ultra Sport Brother # 100 Tiger Club # 7 Pulse Brother # 1 Sig Brother # 58 Top Flight Brother # 9