Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Is it rebuildable

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Is it rebuildable

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 04:55 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

A grain is a unit of measure for pharmaceuticals, gun powder and anything else that needs very exact measurement. If you look it up, you might find that it was based on a grass seed's weight or something like that.
Old 11-09-2014, 05:04 PM
drac1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by combatpigg
A grain is a unit of measure for pharmaceuticals, gun powder and anything else that needs very exact measurement. If you look it up, you might find that it was based on a grass seed's weight or something like that.
So how can using the formula for calculating the force of a bullet, be used for a model plane?
Old 11-10-2014, 12:31 PM
combatpigg

Think of a model airplane as a bullet with wings. The theoretical impact figures assume that the force is centered at the engine's spinner.

Here is the article from the November 1987 issue of Model Aviation. The article clearly shows that a control line plane did cause a power outage.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	combat power outage.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	584.3 KB
ID:	2046356  
Old 11-10-2014, 05:06 PM
combatpigg

[TABLE="width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TD="class: dcdark, bgcolor: #EEEEEE, colspan: 2"][TABLE="width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TD="class: dcdark, width: 100%"]JohnT4051[/TD]
[TD="class: dcdark, align: right"]Tue Nov-11-14 12:45 AM[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: dcdark, width: 100%"]Member since Dec 25th 2003
577 posts[/TD]
[TD="class: dcdark, align: right"] [/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: dclite, colspan: 2"]#26. "RE: COMBAT CARNAGE IN TEXAS...?"
In response to Reply # 25

[TR]
[TD="class: dclite"]

[/TD]
[TD="class: dclite, width: 100%"]I also witnessed the Lincoln incident. It was spectacular to watch the looping plane approach the wires, then a white fireball and bang - bang- bang- bang as four transformers blew in succession, blacking out the whole neighborhood.
The immediate aftermath was a MACA meeting in which it was decided to take action ASAP, to avoid higher-ups in AMA getting involved. As a CL Contest Board member present, I was asked to put in the proposal to require safety thongs, which I did, and which passed.
Incidentally, predictions of apocalypse (You can't fly Combat with safety thongs!) proved to be untrue.
I believe AMA had to pay some sort of financial settlement to compensate the businesses' losses caused by the power outage.
Also interesting: The combat model involved was not damaged. Only the lines hit the power lines.

John T
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Old 11-12-2014, 08:24 PM
combatpigg

#32. "RE: COMBAT CARNAGE IN TEXAS...?"
In response to Reply # 0

[TR]
[TD="class: dclite"][/TD]
[TD="class: dclite, width: 100%"]Although not a fly away, back in the late 40's or early 50's I guy named Jim Norvel (I think) was killed when his CL plane hit the power lines some where near the board walk here in Santa Cruz. I was very young at the time and I hope I got that correct. I know he died.

Next, my Dad, Roy DeCamara and I went to a contest somewhere in the San Jaquine (sp?) valley in the early 50's and we saw a combat ship circling around with the lines attached and NO pilot! Don't know whatever happened to that one.

And finally, while flying RC gliders in Visalia Ca. one of the contestants with his "carbon" reinforced wing glider landed (well crashed actually) into the power lines at the end of the flying field with a huge KaPow! Transformer went up in smoke. I actually saw that one!

Cheers, Jerry
OBTW: What's the earliest anyone can remember a power line incident?

Garana

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

How about Ben Franklin...?
Old 03-03-2015, 01:51 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually saw that transformer explosion in Lincoln, the 1987 NATS. We were out on the runway flying RC Pylon, standing where we could see the power lines. Pretty impressive explosion when the transformer went off.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:38 PM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

A split second short circuit on a high voltage....ANYTHING....causes a MASSIVE high voltage spike to be created. Add in old tired transformer insulation & a ...ARC ...can occur. That arc inside the transformer can melt windings very Quickly. The fuses have no effect then . BOOOMM !!

It can kill a transformer.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:22 PM
combatpigg

There have been a lot of naysayers who claim that .018" steel flying cable would simply vaporize.....but none of them were standing right there at the Lincoln Nats.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:09 AM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by combatpigg
There have been a lot of naysayers who claim that .018" steel flying cable would simply vaporize.....but none of them were standing right there at the Lincoln Nats.
Having been involved in related areas in my career it does not surprise me, as the cable will vaporize but that just creates an ionized arc path that can support a surprising amount of current. The high voltage sustains the arc until something has to give. Usually a circuit breaker will swing off but Murphy is always present to cause something more impressive! I have had to dodge the access lids of 10 foot high transformers after they blew off into the sky.
Old 03-28-2015, 04:47 AM
Calvinman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Once the path has been made by the wire for the current to flow through then you get the "Jacobs Ladder Effect" (as stated above)