Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Refurbishment of my 40-yr old CG Sr. Falcon

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Refurbishment of my 40-yr old CG Sr. Falcon

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 04:15 PM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very nice, Dave.

It didn't take very long, either.

All the work was well worth the effort.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:54 PM
Calvinman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes it looks like a new plane
Old 11-21-2014, 07:37 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah, she looks kinda like she did a long long time ago, but better. The present monokote on the plane dates to 2003, so there's some age there but I didn't think it was necessary to strip everything down and start all over again - it doesn't look all that bad overall. Of course, the new monokote sits alongside the old monokote and the old stuff is showing its age a bit (even though it's all from the same exact rolls), it's just slightly discolored - but you've gotta be right next to it to see the difference, and with the new/old line directly under the wing I don't think anybody will notice the difference.

Y'er right - didn't take very long at all - I honestly thought it was going to be more of a project. I took her off-line in Sept, when the firewall came loose. First "look-see" was 8 Nov, tear-down (and this thread) started 11 Nov and today she's back on the wall rack waiting for batteries and next flight.

There WAS one item I did and didn't chronicle very much - the main LG mount. Actually, it wasn't in bad shape, oil-soaked surface wood was about it. I used my dremel sanding drum (coarse) to sand off about 1/8" or so from the surface to get rid of most of the oil. A couple days were "slightly" occupied with several applications of acetone & alcohol to draw as much of the rest of it out as I could. Once it was all dry again I epoxy'd and screwed new hardwood surface wood (silver maple in this case - it's what I had handy) to the original block, fibreglassed & lustrekoted the whole thing, then remounted the struts. It was one of those "ain't got nothing else going at the moment" kind of things.

Will be sure to chronicle the first flights.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:21 PM
skylark-flier

Hokay! Stole the batteries from the Eagle-II and it was definitely worth it. It took about 2 minutes to get the throttle-rod set properly. I had to put the rcvr battery under the hatch in the fuel tank compartment AND I added 3 oz of lead (epoxied to the front underside of the hatch cover) for starters. She flew good but the CG was still 1/2" behind the rear-most recommended location so I added 2 more oz, wrapped in foam, under the hatch. Second flight was much better but not quite right - a bit long on the T/O run and a bit hot on landing. Settled on 4 oz total, PLUS the battery as far forward as it can go. As far as I can tell, she's flying just like she did originally - GREAT!! She also seems to be a bit faster than before at full throttle, but it might just be my perception. She sure is sleeker though, if a Sr. Falcon can be called sleek.

Can't believe there was that much weight with the old wood. The new nose was built a whole lot lighter apparently. Anyway, she's back on-line, flying great!! Hopefully, next time she's out I'll have my 2nd half with me to take some in-flight shots.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:46 AM
TomCrump

Congrats on the re-maiden !

I'm glad that she flies as good as new.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:02 PM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Congrats on the good re-maiden Dave.
I just saw your thread and read it. Great job. I enjoy seeing old planes restored.
I may have been late to your thread, but I am never late for dinner.

Ken
Old 11-24-2014, 08:12 PM
skylark-flier

Hey Ken!! Glad to see ya here. This thing's not totally over yet, I'm still considering tearing all the covering off and re-running it with koverall & dope. I dunno yet.

Anyway, had her out again today until the wind came up too much for my comfort. For her 2nd flight of the day I removed the 1 oz foam-wrapped lead, just leaving the epoxied 3 oz under the hatch. WHAT A BEAST!! Everything she's ever been, maneuver-wise, came right back - and the CG is now 7/8" behind the rear-most recommended point. I'm pretty sure though, that's pretty close to where it's always been. After a deadstick landing I've always had to pick her up just behind the landing gear block, same place today. Had some pretty nice (or maybe I should say nice & pretty) landings today too - 2-wheel touchdowns and running on mains only until I cut the engine to stop. Moving/rebending the landing gear struts forward was definitely the right thing to do.

One other rather nice note - 9 flights total over the past couple days, all taking off from the gravel and 6 landing ON the gravel - and not a hole in the horizontal stab. She sits higher now, and it makes a difference.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:52 AM
flyingagin

good to hear Dave
Sure will be glad to get to work on GL
Ken
Old 11-26-2014, 09:56 AM
skylark-flier

No flying today ... darn!

Snowflakes are so big they're denting my lawn!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1774.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	2.75 MB
ID:	2050268   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1771.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	2050269  
Old 11-26-2014, 09:59 AM
Calvinman

Well it is -27 deg C here Dave so you get no sympathy from me ;>)
Old 11-26-2014, 12:49 PM
skylark-flier

I don't care who you are, that's COLD!!!!!

That's also the reason I'm here, and not back in Alaska where I'd originally intended to retire.

It's 37 here now (5c), Sunday is supposed to be 64 (17c) - - - Sunday we FLY!!!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	brrrrrrrrrrrr.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	2050309  
Old 11-26-2014, 01:59 PM
Calvinman

Nice Dave, you are lucky to live where you can fly more of the year than we can up here. I keep telling myself it nice to have a "building season" but 6 months is a little unreasonable I think Santa is brining me Real Flight for Christmas, so I can at least get some stick time in.
Old 11-26-2014, 02:53 PM
flyingagin

Skis Dave skis

Ken
Old 12-05-2014, 09:32 AM
skylark-flier

Skis????? Skis are for people with REAL snow. Besides, wheels work just fine most of the time anyway - even on snow around here.

BTW, I did fly that day. I also found out she's outstandingly nose-heavy. Took the wrapped lead out of the nose at the field, and when I got home I pulled up the original plans. Apparently, I miss-read the plans originally or had the wrong ones in the first place (might have been looking at the Falcon-56 plans) - I had the CG at 3.75" behind the LE, plans say 4.75". So, once I got home I used my dremel to grind all the epoxy'd lead out of the hatch cover. Wouldn't you know, CG is exactly where the plans say it should be, exactly where it was before I started working on the plane.

Anyway, took her back out again - what a dream machine!!!!!!!! My baby's back and she's performing GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by skylark-flier; 12-05-2014 at 09:38 AM.
Old 12-05-2014, 12:24 PM
TomCrump

I'm glad that she's flying well, Dave !

Up here, with our 100+ inches of snow per year, we use floats to fly from the snow. Skiis sink into the deep snow. Floats distribute the weight better, allowing the model to sit on top of the snow.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:24 PM
flyingagin

I never had the SR Falcon, but I built 2 56's. bothe were covered in silk and had short lives

Ken
Old 12-05-2014, 08:23 PM
skylark-flier

Ken, you have my most sincere sympathy. I've seen the 56's fly, and they're good, but the Sr. Falcon is an entirely different bird, performance-wise, and mine is powered (presently) by a 10-yr old OS.46LA and 11x6 prop, so she's no kind of overpowered. The Sr. is a rather heavy bird for her size, especially by today's standards, 6.25 lbs with a 69" wing. Mine is a bit heavier (7.125 lbs right now), always has been, and she's stable as a rock in the air. With that long fuse rear she goes exactly where you point her, will not fishtail in the air if you use rudder only to turn her - smooth as glass.

If you ever have the opportunity to build/fly one, don't pass it up. Outstanding airplane.