Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

1/3 J-3 Overhaul

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

1/3 J-3 Overhaul

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 08:05 PM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I sure can't tell it's patched. Nice job!

By the way... I guess I'm going to be repairing and patching a Cub. Yup, put mine in today. Actually it was on the first takeoff. I brought up the throttle a little too quickly causing the Cub to veer to the left. There was an older gentleman (mid to late 70's I'm guessing) standing too close to the runway trying to get a picture of me taking off. He was kneeling at the time and the left wing caught him squarely on the chest knocking him flat for a while. Luckily he only suffered a possible bruised rib. It could have been a heck of a lot worse had the prop hit him!

Repairs I'll have to make: Left wing cracked near the fuse, struts wiped out, L/G ripped out, and the bottom of the nose section was ripped out. I'm thinking the wing will be the most difficult repair. I'll try to post some photos tomorrow.

Lesson learned hear: NEVER try to fly with spectators to close to the runway! And BTW, this is not an AMA sanctioned field, just an abandoned runway.

Take care,
David
Old 12-27-2014, 09:36 PM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Fortunately no serious harm. The thought of what the prop could have done is freaky scary. I have the scars from getty prop whacked twice by much smaller

Ken
Old 12-27-2014, 11:05 PM
John_M_

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by WacoNut
The repair looks good but( there is always a but) the clear coat looks like crap where I stopped inboard of the repair area.

I am going to wet sand the entire top of the wing tomorrow and shoot another coat of clear across the entire top of the panel. Should have done that to begin with but I was hoping it would blend better. Just too much overspray.

John,
I will check out the Tru-Turn spinner as well. The one I bought is a little on the long side. A Cub spinner is more or less just a dome that covers the Hub. I work in an aerospace machine shop and have access to any of the equipment I need. I was planning on cutting the spinner down and turning a new recess into it. Kind of screwed up, deal with aerospace parts all day then come home and build airplane models. Something seriously wrong with me I think.

Later!!
Anthony
Well you're in heaven then with all that hi-tech machining equipment at your disposal... you could turn a spinner out in no time... you're not screwed up!, thrust me I feel the same way being in the automotive industry, I probably neglect my car more than anyone out there... you do it all day long, and its the last thing you want to do is come home and work on your own vehicle, LoL

I have one of those micro II lathes, which is capable of turning that sized stock to make the spinner, but TruTurn has them already made and at a reasonable price, plus I like to support companies that still manufacture here in the states... their "cub" prop hubs have the right shape, looks just like the real hubs... they come in sizes to suite most brand propeller hub sizes, 1.5", 1.75", 2", 2.5", 3"... the TTH-1500 B is 1.5" in dia and fits both the 18-8 Xoar laminated, and Master Aircrew classic series propellers with just bit over a 1/16" of an inch reveal of the props center hub ... its not a thin shell either, its at least 1/8 thick and a bit thicker at the tip where the mounting screw is located.... they even sell adapters for various engines.

John M,
Old 12-28-2014, 03:19 AM
VincentJ

Received 118 Likes on 107 Posts

Well done Anthony! With this project just about done will you be finishing your Space Walker next?

David, sorry to hear about your Cub, I know how hard (and long) you worked on it.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:28 AM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Hope you don't mind Anthony, but I thought I'd post a few of the photos of my Cub here to start with. Then the big question is: Should I start a repair thread? If so, where? I'm thinking of going back to my original "Giant Scale - Getting Started" thread. I think I can probably guess the answer, but what does everyone here think?

(By the way, due to the bitter cold out today (it was 50° in the garage alone!) I probably won't be starting the repairs anytime soon. I had to rush inside after taking the photos to get warmed up again. )
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_1498.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	2058403   Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_1501.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	2058404   Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_1503.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	2058405   Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_1506.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	2058406   Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_1507.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	2058407  
Old 12-28-2014, 11:00 AM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

(By the way, due to the bitter cold out today (it was 50° in the garage alone!) I probably won't be starting the repairs anytime soon. I had to rush inside after taking the photos to get warmed up again. )[/QUOTE]

Nice pic's for the bitter cold last nite in my garage it was O, but it has warmed up to 25 so I am happy as a clam.

Sorry O/P just could not resist

Cheers Bob T
Old 12-28-2014, 11:45 AM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Dave,
That is a bummer about the Cub. Definitely looks repairable. I would star by stripping all the Solartex off and see what you have. I think the fuse will be very easy to repair and the wing probably won't be too bad.

Let me know how easy it is to get the Solartex off, interested to see if you get the same results.

VJ,
I will be getting back to the Space Walker soon. I have a big mess to clean up 1st.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 12-28-2014, 11:51 AM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Will do Anthony. From the looks of it, I don't think it will be a problem getting the Solartex off.

From my initial investigation it looks like I won't have to go too far on the wing, probably just the first bay at the fuse. Time will tell.
Old 12-28-2014, 12:07 PM
WacoNut

I cleared the wing again and this time I am happy with the results. Nice and smooth no overspray.

I took the wing outside to get some good natural light on it. As you can see the repair area has blended in very nice.
Later!!
Anthony
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	repair 002.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	2058458  
Old 12-28-2014, 12:09 PM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Very nice job! Say, what if I just sent you my Cub?
Old 12-28-2014, 12:12 PM
stevegauth30

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where was that repair again?
Old 12-28-2014, 12:14 PM
WacoNut

Originally Posted by Cub Flyer Fresno
Very nice job! Say, what if I just sent you my Cub?
What and deprive you of a self whippin for hurting your plane? I think not. You broke it you fix it.

This hobby teaches us what not to do all the time. In learning those lessons it usually is very costly to ones pride, time and money. I usually find that I get hit with all 3 at once.

Just keep telling yourself I won't do that again!!
Anthony
Old 12-28-2014, 12:32 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Anthony What you said in spades I am laughing so hard I am having trouble wrighting this post

Cheers Bob T
Old 12-28-2014, 12:44 PM
WacoNut

Dave,
Try not to be too hard on yourself. We all crack them up from time to time. I was totally dejected when I crashed my Waco. I set it in the back corner of the basement for about 6 months before even looking at it again. It now looks better than before the crash. Just like my J-3 revision #2 is better and I am sure your repair job will turn out just fine.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 12-28-2014, 01:07 PM
flyingagin

I knew where to look and still could not discern the repair in the photo. Awsome.

Hey Dave I think would be just fine with a couple of large bandages from the pharmacy. And maybe a couple of zip ties. You can be out there flying her again tomorrow!

That is very fixable. Expect ya to post the repairs.

So how is the gent you smacked?

Ken
Old 12-28-2014, 01:28 PM
John_M_

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Very nice Anthony... that wing looks unscathed.

Cub Flyer Fresno, it hurts me to see those images; I know you put a lot of time into that cub... its looks worse than it is and more than repairable... there's always a brighter side, just think positive thoughts.

John M,
Old 12-28-2014, 01:44 PM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Anthony, don't worry about me, I'm getting kind of use to crashing, just not into people though. I'll get 'er fixed.

Ken, bandages? I was leaning heavily towards duct tape. Got plenty of that and you can do wonders with the stuff!
Old 12-28-2014, 01:57 PM
WacoNut

Well hopefully the old guy isn't banged up too bad and he will stay a little further away from the runway from now on.

Cubs can get a little squirrely on the runways sometimes and the old guy should have kept his distance. Hopefully he has learned a little from the incident as well. Too bad he and your plane had to get banged up for it.

We have a guy in the club who has a bad habit of walking out into the runway while he is landing. Hi depth perception is getting bad and he said it helps him line up for landing. I am afraid one of these days he is going to get whacked by someone that doesn't see his runway intrusion.
Old 12-28-2014, 02:06 PM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Or he smacks himself! By the way, I haven't heard back from the guy yet. I don't have his #, only an email address. I'll let you know though.
Old 12-28-2014, 02:13 PM
flyingagin

OK Dave Gorilla duct tape. It is some tough stuff. And you can get it in camouflaged

Ken

Yeah hoping no news from the whakee is good news. I really am
Old 12-28-2014, 02:18 PM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Hmmm... camouflaged duct tape... That way no one will ever see the repairs!!!

OKAY, ENOUGH!!! Sorry to get that started Anthony. Back to your bird. When can we expect to see a re-maiden video?
Old 12-28-2014, 02:28 PM
WacoNut

I hope to fly it next Saturday the 3rd if the weather permits. We are supposed to have a Freeze Fly at the club. I am OK with fighting the cold as long as the wind is sub 10mph.
Old 12-28-2014, 02:52 PM
VincentJ

Received 118 Likes on 107 Posts

David, I think you should start a new thread in this Forum "Crash and Repair"...

Really came out terrific Anthony!!

Last edited by VincentJ; 12-28-2014 at 02:54 PM.
Old 12-28-2014, 03:13 PM
Planejaw
My Feedback: (53)

It sounds like something's missing here. It sounds like the pilot did not have the aircraft under control during takeoff, not properly using the rudder on takeoff. Folks, you've got to learn to use rudder during an entire flight and not just to steer during taxiing.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:37 PM
WacoNut

Planejaw,
Not trying to be rude here but(there is always a but) people make mistakes and things happen. I don't think it is appropriate to automatically attack someone's skill or lack of without knowing the facts. I may rib at Dave but I know Dave and we tend to take jabs at each other on the light side. Dave has had many flights with his Cub and he took a lot of pride in building his plane. He has my upmost respect as a modeler and an all around decent guy.

Now If I have offended you well I am sorry but I also feel a bit offended by your post. We all make mistakes and I would say you have as well by your post. Now I am sure we will have a moderator come in here and tell us all to get back on topic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.