Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Covering a plane

Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Covering a plane

Old 01-04-2015, 07:52 PM
destroyer85golf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Covering a plane

I have been searching the archives and short of reading every post I can't seem to find much in the way of coverings. I read a few things about monokote and have looked at it online, but haven't decided yet . Are there any tricks to it anything that would be a better a better alternative. I got this plane in a lot with a bunch of other planes and have had no luck in identifying it, I'll try to post pics tomorrow. It had a bunch of rips in the old covering and it looked terrible. So I tore all the old covering off and discovered, 1 that it has been crashed and repaired . 2 mud robbers had made a home in it. Easily doubling the weight of the plane. All in all I took out over 3 pounds of nests. any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-12-2015, 08:45 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Hello you have options, removal of all those dirt dobber nests is a definite positive. I assume the bird has been setting up for a long time so look it over real good. as to covering consider coverite. just about any iron on will work just be sure to clean the bonding surfaces. use the minimum amount of heat to put it in place.then increase the heat to set it in place.............good luck!
Old 01-12-2015, 09:19 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Solartex, available from Balsa USA
Old 01-12-2015, 09:58 AM
destroyer85golf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the planes from a guy, and I'm assuming they all spent some time in a garage. I have completely stripped it down, found some repairs and started the rebuild. It's new servos receiver and gas tank and lines. I settled on ultra cote, just wish the company I ordered from would have let me know before ordering the stuff that half of it was back ordered... At least had the courtesy to call and ask if I wanted to cancel the order or wait.