Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

easiest way to rebuild a wing with no plans?

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

easiest way to rebuild a wing with no plans?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 12:46 PM
flyierjon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default easiest way to rebuild a wing with no plans?

Whats the easiest way to rebuild a wing with no plans? Its an old Ohio Models Cap 232 that was originally a kit. I can add a picture later but just one half of the left side needs to be rebuilt all the way to the tip. a tree branch split it. it is a one piece wing 72" long...
Thanks for any advice
Jon
Old 07-17-2015, 01:03 PM
flyierjon

Default pic

Pic, hope its not too small...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	2109736  

Last edited by flyierjon; 07-17-2015 at 01:11 PM.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:45 PM
castlebravo

OK...I'll give it a shot....First I would carefully strip away all of the covering form the damaged wing. Then I would take the good wing and draw an outline on a large plan sized sheet of paper. You will need to "disassemble" the broken wing as much as possible without damaging the ribs as you will need to use these as templates for the new ribs. For the ribs that were crushed in the impact....try to glue them back together as much as possible to determine the outline.
You might find it easiest to also strip the covering from the "good" wing and draw your "plan" on your big sheet of paper by tracing the rib and spar locations. The wings are more than likely built exactly the same way with the only difference being covering and servo locations....so dont build two "right wings"

Correction...I just saw it was a one piece wing.....everything I said above holds true....just mark the centerline of the wing...then flip the wing over and draw the left wing "plan" by flipping the wing over and tracing the right side laying over the left bad side. You may not have to re-build the whole wing....just the components past the breakage. Anyway...good luck!

CB
Old 08-08-2015, 08:38 AM
mgnostic

Received 85 Likes on 73 Posts

With a break that close to the root plan on cutting out and replacing the old spars. It looks like some material was probably lost to crushing but if you can reassemble the wing as much as possible (a single piece again) it become its own jig. Be careful not to induce any unwanted twist. Before the sheeting is replace you can remove and replace each spar, one at a time. You may have to remove some of the sheeting to do this. The leading and trailing edges carry less load and can be spiced. The more neatly your sheeting is spliced the stronger it will be and the less glue required. It doesn't look like you lost that many ribs. As CB points out piecing the ribs back together for templates is a well established practice.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:45 PM
SeaJay
My Feedback: (6)

Last edited by SeaJay; 08-17-2015 at 10:19 PM.
Old 08-16-2015, 08:49 AM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cut the good panel off the broken half. Use the good panel and trace the root and tip ribs. Make templates and use those to cut two new foam cores. Sheet with balsa and finish as ypu see fit. Sounds like a lot of work but is not as much as building or repairing your broken wing. I had a similar situation. I didn't document the wing but the rest is here. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/cras...cap-232-a.html

Ken