Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

How to repair a fuel tank?

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

How to repair a fuel tank?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 10:02 AM
Jack_K

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to repair a fuel tank?

One of my favorite fuel tanks has a crack at the bottom of the neck (the part the "cork" goes in).

I roughed up the crack with a coarse file and dabbed some MEK over it. Let it set a few hours and it seems to be just fine now. I pulled and pushed on the neck and the repair held. I put the fueling assembly back in and tightened the screw. It still held up.

Will this repair hold up? Any other way to repair it?

Jack
Old 05-07-2016, 05:13 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I'd buy a new tank.
Old 05-07-2016, 06:10 PM
Jack_K

Originally Posted by Tom Nied
I'd buy a new tank.
Thanks. I'll send you my mailing address.
Old 05-08-2016, 05:25 AM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack_K
One of my favorite fuel tanks has a crack at the bottom of the neck (the part the "cork" goes in).

I roughed up the crack with a coarse file and dabbed some MEK over it. ...
Jack
MEK is a solvent but not for polyethylene which is what most fuel tanks are made of. I don't know how the MEK did anything except clean the area it was applied to. However, once an area is cleaned I have had limited success with applying a generous amount of silicone rubber sealant over the cracked area, and letting it cure. But, like others said, I would buy a new tank, unless it is an emergency and a leak in the tank would not damage anything. Good luck.
Old 05-08-2016, 06:25 AM
Jack_K

Originally Posted by spaceworm
MEK is a solvent but not for polyethylene which is what most fuel tanks are made of. I don't know how the MEK did anything except clean the area it was applied to. However, once an area is cleaned I have had limited success with applying a generous amount of silicone rubber sealant over the cracked area, and letting it cure. But, like others said, I would buy a new tank, unless it is an emergency and a leak in the tank would not damage anything. Good luck.
What can I say? It seems to have worked. I read about roughing the surface and using MEK (somewhere) on the web, so I tried it. What can I lose, a little fuel? NBD
Old 05-08-2016, 05:47 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

"I'll send you my mailing address" - classic!

When I was a poor kid, I fixed tanks with strips of plastic and a Weller soldering iron. They looked like hell, but worked fine. The strips were made from plastic bottles that looked the same type of plastic.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:14 AM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Why tempt faith when tanks are so cheap? I predict you will regret trying to fix the unfixable (never really works out) the seam is weak no doubt and may well fail again in another location. Like batteries once they start going bad there is no going back and the results are never good?
Old 05-09-2016, 06:28 AM
Jack_K

Originally Posted by Gizmo-RCU
Why tempt faith
faith?
Old 05-09-2016, 10:58 AM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I did it because everything was mail order 46 years ago, so most orders took about two or three weeks. Never had one fail, and I repaired several. On top of that, I often modify the shape of tanks by heating them up and molding them against a buck as they cool off. That way, I can fit a larger tank than I otherwise could. It's called modeling, try it sometime.

Last edited by HighPlains; 05-09-2016 at 04:01 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-09-2016, 01:27 PM
RAPPTOR
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jack_k
one of my favorite fuel tanks has a crack at the bottom of the neck (the part the "cork" goes in).

I roughed up the crack with a coarse file and dabbed some mek over it. Let it set a few hours and it seems to be just fine now. I pulled and pushed on the neck and the repair held. I put the fueling assembly back in and tightened the screw. It still held up.

Will this repair hold up? Any other way to repair it?

Jack
hot glue
Old 05-10-2016, 06:07 AM
Jack_K

Originally Posted by RAPPTOR
hot glue
Hot glue won't stick very long.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:29 AM
Twin_Flyer
My Feedback: (4)

Either use the soldering iron trick or go to the LHS or Tower Hobbies and order a new tank.

If not then one day you will find you just filled the plane with fuel and not the tank!

Bill S.
Old 05-13-2016, 06:54 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

These days a new tank can be at your door in a few days. If your too cheap to buy one ask around the field, I'm sure one of your flying buddies have one that will work. And before you ask........no a broken prop can't be repaired.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:38 AM
Jack_K

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
These days a new tank can be at your door in a few days. If your too cheap to buy one ask around the field, I'm sure one of your flying buddies have one that will work. And before you ask........no a broken prop can't be repaired.
i appreciate all your help, but I just wanted to see if I could repair it. I'm going to use it on my engine test stand (if that's OK with you).

Sure, a broken prop can be repaired, but I wouldn't recommend using it on a running engine.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:32 AM
bikerbc

Years ago in an emergency some cracked props could be repaired by wrapping string saturated in glue around the crack equal amounts on both sides to balance but now adays its hardly worth it . I Think it would be better to make a new tank ,or buy a new tank sooner than risk a fuel leak inside an airframe ,however if you are just using it for a bench test tank then great idea..you will get to see how well your repair stands up . I would be inclined to wrap a small gear clamp around the neck for extra support maybe . I bet somebody at your club will have a used one they would either give you or sell you for next to nothing . We all have a few kicking around . You know this forum can be friendly we don't need to argue or insult each other like kids .
Old 06-02-2016, 12:00 PM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

shoe goo works on everything
Old 06-02-2016, 06:21 PM
Jack_K

Originally Posted by raptureboy
shoe goo works on everything
What's shoe goo?

Never mind. I found it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoe_Goo

Last edited by Jack_K; 06-02-2016 at 06:24 PM.
Old 06-04-2016, 02:41 PM
jetmech05

I wouldn't use it.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:35 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good as anything else suggested but still a new tank is a sure thing and all of a few bucks. There's frugal and then there is just plain old cheap.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:45 AM
Jack_K

Originally Posted by raptureboy
Good as anything else suggested but still a new tank is a sure thing and all of a few bucks. There's frugal and then there is just plain old cheap.
Thanks for the encouragement. As I already stated, I wanted to see if it would work. Well, guess what? It's working great on my engine test stand. I don't need to buy another tank; I have about a dozen already. You can save your criticisms for someone else.
Old 06-08-2016, 03:33 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I use a dented/crunched tank on my test stand too. It is always good to try stuff out. Good education to learn plastic welding in case there is a bigger project to do. I have a windsurfer that needs a repair where plastic welding may save a few hundred bucks.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:11 AM
jetmech05

Jack please remember you asked us our opinions. We gave them and it seems you didn't like the answers you got a became nasty.
The RC community is kinda small.
Old 06-12-2016, 12:42 PM
Jack_K

Originally Posted by jetmech05
Jack please remember you asked us our opinions. We gave them and it seems you didn't like the answers you got a became nasty.
The RC community is kinda small.
Well you're right, I was a little nasty. However, being called "plain old cheap" required a response in my opinion. I apologize to everyone except that poster.

Yes, I did ask for opinions. But I asked about repairing a tank, not whether or not I should buy a new one. I did get several pertinent responses though.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:24 AM
jetmech05

Jack thank you for your response. You aren't the first by a long shot asking how to repair a tank.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:53 AM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

New tanks of the right size and shape are NOT ALWAYS available. Not nearly as many tank options these days as in years ago. Tank manufacturers are going away or reducing choices in their product lines.

I fly smaller planes and sometimes a particular brand and shape of tank will fit much better than another. If that tank becomes damaged and is not available, then a repair may mean the differences between installing a 4 oz tank and a 2 oz tank.

How to repair a tank or construct a new one is valuable information for a modeler.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.