Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

One of My Oldest Planes Crashed Today.

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

One of My Oldest Planes Crashed Today.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 04:35 PM
A. J. Clark

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

This is it. I had the antenna in a straw . The end with the circuit board was outside the straw. Maybe vibration messed it up. I have an other one I'll have to check . I replaced this one with the newer concealed antenna.

Old 05-11-2019, 04:40 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Ha, well have you seen the new Spektrum antenna-less receivers? You don't need an antenna. https://www.horizonhobby.com/SPMAR41...oCv_IQAvD_BwE?
Old 05-12-2019, 04:39 AM
Appowner
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The short piece that broke off WAS your antenna. At least the active part on that lead. Having it break could possibly have de-tuned the entire Rx to the point of losing control. It's hard to tell as antenna theory has made such strides, it's hard to predict what exactly happened without knowing exactly how the manufacturer intended it's use. The little circuit board I'll 'guess' is an amp or filter or both. Indicating that particular antenna was the one that captured the weakest of signals from the Tx. Lose it and you've lost most your range and your link.

The antenna less Rx does have an antenna. It's simply printed on the inside of the case. You can see it if you look close.
Old 05-12-2019, 04:41 AM
Appowner
Banned

Oh, and to help prevent this in the future, a little dab of RTV at the solder joint will help support the connection against vibration. Which is what probably did it in in the first place.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:13 AM
A. J. Clark

Originally Posted by Appowner
Oh, and to help prevent this in the future, a little dab of RTV at the solder joint will help support the connection against vibration. Which is what probably did it in in the first place.
There was some type of rtv on the area were the wire is soldered to the board. I scraped it off the end that broke. If you look at the photo you can see the solder joint on the other end of the board that still has the rtv . Then there was shrink tube around the board and extended out on the wire about 1/4 in.

What about that other shorter antenna why would it not funtion and carry things on?
Old 05-16-2019, 09:45 PM
Appowner
Banned

Originally Posted by A. J. Clark

What about that other shorter antenna why would it not funtion and carry things on?
Hard to say really without knowing more about the radio, how it functions with regard to the two antennas and the situation/environment of the failure. Just guessing but perhaps the antenna with the amp is designated as primary in some way. Or perhaps the time for the Rx to switch over took too long. Especially if some signal was getting through. Perhaps conditions were such that even with the antenna broken, the other one simply wasn't getting enough signal to take over. Or maybe the loss of the one antenna de-tuned things to the point where nothing worked right.

Again, without more facts about the situation at the time and some test equipment plus more knowledge as to the way the thing works, it's really hard to tell.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:46 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Appowner

A good idea but make sure that electronics safe RTV is used. Most general use and automotive use RTV is corrosive.
Old 05-19-2019, 11:43 AM
A. J. Clark

I purchased the new tx a DX9 . I've had it 4weeks now. I also bound it to an other plane . A flying wing. It to crashed after a few flights. It had a orange rx in it so I changed both planes to a ar410 rx with telemetry. Flew both again both had a lot of frame losses and a couple of holds. Not bad enough to crash. That's not acceptable . Both planes have been flown with a DX7s for several years without any problems . Tomorrow the tx will be sent back for service.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:15 PM
speedracerntrixie

Just out of curiosity you may want to publish some pictures of your install. I have heard that some Spektrum TX use a SIM card and that card should be removed before use. Take that with a grain of salt as I have no personal experience with that. I did a while ago have some suspicious behavior from a couple airplanes that I was using the same TX and it turned out to be a bad TX module. The module was replaced and it's been good since although my overall experience tells me that TX failures are a rarity.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:45 AM
A. J. Clark

Both planes have been flown for several years with a DX7S without any problems. The radio installation wasn't changed with the DX9.

The radio didn't come with a sim card and I don't have one for it.

The radio been sent in for service. Will wait for a report.

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Just out of curiosity you may want to publish some pictures of your install. I have heard that some Spektrum TX use a SIM card and that card should be removed before use. Take that with a grain of salt as I have no personal experience with that. I did a while ago have some suspicious behavior from a couple airplanes that I was using the same TX and it turned out to be a bad TX module. The module was replaced and it's been good since although my overall experience tells me that TX failures are a rarity.
Old 05-23-2019, 01:53 PM
A. J. Clark

I got an email from Horizon that my tx had been checked . There report was that everything was working properly. Now what do I do?
Old 05-24-2019, 08:41 AM
speedracerntrixie

Post a picture of your radio install. We may be able to find a thing or two that may cause an issue. With 2.4 GHZ antenna placement is a bit critical. Doing a thorough range check on a new install is also a must.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:50 AM
A. J. Clark

Here's the radio installation of the balsa plane. I'll try a different location with receiver. I purchased a 8010T with the dx9. I'll try it also it has two antennas plus I can add a satellite. If I have to I'll go to a different rx with satellite.

Old 05-25-2019, 10:17 AM
speedracerntrixie

There are two things there that make me uncomfortable, I don't like having a RX that close to a switch, it's a minor thing and by itself not a big issue at all. The other thing is the use of a 4.8V enloop battery. First off I don't run anything less then 6V on any 2.4 system but Spektrum is even worse with a brownout voltage of just over 4V. The enloop cells have been proven to not be capable of delivering the nessesary current. When a demand for a certain amount of current happens the voltage is going to dip. IMO that could very well be your smoking gun.
The following users liked this post:
aviatortroy (02-13-2020)
Old 05-31-2019, 07:54 PM
A. J. Clark

I tried the ar8010t rx and got good results. Then I put the ar410 rx back in using a different location at the back of the wing on the bottom of the fuse. I got better results but didn't think it was good enough. I didn't want to use the ar8010t in this plane. So I got a ar6600t. It has worked out good . So I think I am good with the radio now.

I have been changing to life batteries when I need to replace one. This plane probably needs a new one. I don't think it has been a problem. This plane is a 3 ch . So only 2 servos doing most of the work.
Old 06-03-2019, 04:23 AM
Appowner
Banned

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie

A good idea but make sure that electronics safe RTV is used. Most general use and automotive use RTV is corrosive.
Which is why I said RTV which stands for Radio Television. The original electronics silicon adhesive.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:11 AM
speedracerntrixie