Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

TaildraggerCG

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

TaildraggerCG

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 06:16 AM
greenberet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TaildraggerCG

i recently changed my Telemaster (10 years old) low wing from tricycle landing gear to a taildragger and still using the same glow engine. My CG seems to be more nose heavy then I want. I have read and been told two different ways to proceed.
1. Use the CG recommendation by the manufacturer.

2. Move up CG for proper balance.

I would appreciate any and all info from members concerning this. I have been into the sport/hobby now for18 years but never attempted this rebuild before. Prior to attempting the rebuild I read as many articles possible as well as talking with my flying buddies
Old 05-23-2018, 02:29 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The correct location of the CG is dependent on the configuration of the plane. Use the same one that the manufactured recommended. Keep the new main gear about 10% of the CG in front of the CG. Be ready on the rudder controls to make adjustments.during take off. Dan.

Last edited by All Day Dan; 05-23-2018 at 02:34 PM.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:15 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

The CG needs to be adjusted according to how the airplane flies. Gear placement is a complete other issue. When establishing the gear placement on a taildragger design, I always go with placing the wheel axles in line with wing leading edge or slightly forward. This is very simple and has always worked well for me.
Old 05-26-2018, 06:12 AM
greenberet

speedracerntrixie ,
Thanks for the info concerning the CG .I placed the wheels axels slightly forward , as you said , during the rebuild but it just seemed a tad too nose heavy than what I was use to with the plane . I know she will fly fine , after all nothing flies like a Telemaster . I have a friend at our flying field who loves this plane and I always let him fly her just to see the smile on his face .
When during approach with full flaps utilized you can sit her down at your feet . Nobody actually believed that she was a Telemaster due to the low wing build , since all Telemasters are high wing , until I showed them the manual .. In fact I haven't been able to find the low wing under the Telemaster name anymore I guess they stopped manufacturing of the model and that's a shame because it is a sweet fling plane .
Old 05-26-2018, 06:25 AM
greenberet

All Day Dan ,
Thanks for the come back on the CG for my landing gear rebuild . She just seemed a tad more nose heavy than I was use to , but I guess that should be expected with the movement of the landing gear. The lading gear is just slightly ahead of the leading edge , I know she will fly fine with just some tweaking
Old 05-26-2018, 06:37 AM
mgnostic

Received 84 Likes on 72 Posts

Speedracerntrixie is correct about the usual placement of landing gear for tail draggers. If anything, shedding the nosegear and adding a tailwheel makes an aircraft tail heavy. If you were happy with the way the airplane flew before the conversion than you should probably balance it at the same point on the wing as before. If the the "nose heaviness" is in regard to ground handling then the issue is gear placement. One other possibility is rolling drag in the main gear. Nose gear will tend to mask the problem if there is some drag in the main gear but it is like riding the brakes. If the airplane wants to tip onto its nose as it begins to roll that may be an issue. A bind in the wheels that doesn't seem like much at rest can have a greater impact as the aircraft speeds up. BTW that new canopy really makes the airplane.