Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Aging Balsa How does it last?

Old 09-02-2018, 08:32 AM
Electriceddie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Aging Balsa How does it last?

Hi Guys,

I was wondering does anyone know what the lifespan of Balsa is if it is kept well over the years? It all looks good No warps, not brittle etc.

Thanks
Ed
Old 09-02-2018, 09:13 AM
udithag

I think you will be able to keep them for more than at least five years if they are kept well. May be spraying some wood preservatives would increase lifetime from another several years
Old 09-08-2018, 10:25 AM
flyingagin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have varius sticks, sheets, shaped pieces of balsa, some bass and spruce sticks that I bought 30 years ago. stored in such a fashion to keep them straight and flat. Perfectly fine. I have a couple of planes that old also. Covering is done for, but the airframes themselves are just fine. Glue joints wood be suspect before the wood. They were sealed well from oil penetration by at least 2 coats of thinned epoxy.. Bodys and wings stored to prevent wrapping. Bodies flat and wings on their leading edges, never stood up on an end.

Ken
Old 09-10-2018, 05:49 PM
Tom Nied

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It's not like cheese that goes bad. You might notice some surface oxidation, it should be good. BUT, test some, see how it holds up. That way you will have a better idea of its condition. Balsa is gold to me, I don't waste any if I don't have to.
Old 09-11-2018, 05:47 PM
Highflight
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If kept in a dry environment (just in a garage is fine... doesn't have to be air conditioned), Balsa should be like ammunition. Good until needed.

I've got a stash that's almost 35 years old and it's all good. Still flat (because it was stored flat) and not brittle at all.