Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Resurrecting a Great Plans 1/3 Scale Pitts Special ARF

Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Resurrecting a Great Plans 1/3 Scale Pitts Special ARF

Old 04-11-2019, 12:13 AM
erans

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

With the spinner fitted, it was time to check the engine again on the stand. This was done without the cowl first to check for air in the fuel lines, and then with the cowl on for final tuning (none was actually needed).
This run was much better, and I have contacted the Heavy Model Inspector for tentative inspection on Sunday. All I need to do is to check the CG and fill the inspection form.

Old 04-11-2019, 07:46 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah the advantages of a friend with a lathe, and the ability to run it are HUGE !

Nice answer to that problem !
Old 04-12-2019, 03:04 AM
erans

foodstick - You are absolutely correct, having a friend with a lathe and the knowledge to operate it is extremely useful.

I was attending to the last tasks which include balancing and weighing the aeroplane. I marked the recommended range on the top wing and set up the EZ Balancer Lite on a small table.
The balance came out on the forward marker. I usually prefer balancing my aeroplanes on the rear portion of the balance range as I find the "feel" better, but for test flight the current balance will do.
I also checked the lateral balance and there was a significant wing drop, which was corrected with weights hidden under the covering of the light side.
Last, the aeroplane final weight was checked (a requirement for certification) and came out at 8.2kg.

Old 04-14-2019, 02:13 AM
erans

Good news. The Pitts had its heavy model certification completed successfully.
On the test flight using the recommended throws for low rates, it was very sensitive on ailerons and sluggish on elevator, but still good enough to complete the "unrestricted aerobatics" certification.
Subsequent flight with minor travel and expo changes made it more pleasant to fly.
This is the wrap then, a successful resurrection.

Old 04-23-2019, 03:07 AM
jescardin
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats "erans"!

It is with the remaiden and the Heavy Model Certification completion that all the work done makes sense.

I now wish you several flights and many years enjoying your fabulous Pitts!

Best Regards
Old 04-23-2019, 04:03 AM
erans

Thank you jescardin, it is appreciated. It is always rewarding to get a scratch built or repaired aeroplane through the Heavy Model Certification process successfully.

I had few more flights since my last post and she fly well. I changed the prop to a Birch-wood Falcon 20x8. It provides better performance from the old CRRC Pro 45cc engine.
On my last flight of the day the weld-nut holding the muffler screw failed and I had to call it until I receive the replacement (already ordered on ebay).

Cheers,
Eran
Old 04-23-2019, 09:23 AM
foodstick

Wow, I had no idea it has flown now ! great job on that..

Looks pretty nice out on the runway.. Its nice to know it flies as well !
Old 04-23-2019, 10:31 AM
propstryker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by erans
Thank you jescardin, it is appreciated. It is always rewarding to get a scratch built or repaired aeroplane through the Heavy Model Certification process successfully.

I had few more flights since my last post and she fly well. I changed the prop to a Birch-wood Falcon 20x8. It provides better performance from the old CRRC Pro 45cc engine.
On my last flight of the day the weld-nut holding the muffler screw failed and I had to call it until I receive the replacement (already ordered on ebay).

Cheers,
Eran
I too have this model that is sitting in the corner with some relatively minor damage. I caught a wheel pant on wet grass and it cartwheeled. The worse damage is the top wing is cracked so I will have to do some reinforcing on the spar and recover. I had been flying it with a Zenoah G62, another old engine, with C&H ignition. Flew great. This is a beautiful plane. Even with the relatively heavy G62, I had to move the batteries all the way to the front to balance it. I think you have encouraged me to repair it.
Old 04-24-2019, 02:32 AM
erans

foodstick - Yes, she flies great, and she will fly much better when the full power will be available.

propstryke - Fixing the Pitts will be a project well worth doing. It must be a dream to fly with the G62 power.
I do not fit wheel-pants to my aeroplanes as I found them to cause too much damage, especially when Kangaroo droppings get caught in them (and our airfields are littered with them).
Old 04-25-2019, 06:43 PM
foodstick

Erans... just for laughs I rebuilt this one ! She is a beauty now, and I flew it yesterday for the first time this year...

Old 04-25-2019, 08:42 PM
erans

foodstick - Nothing that some CA wont fix... : )
Old 05-07-2019, 06:15 PM
propstryker

Originally Posted by erans
foodstick - Yes, she flies great, and she will fly much better when the full power will be available.

propstryke - Fixing the Pitts will be a project well worth doing. It must be a dream to fly with the G62 power.
I do not fit wheel-pants to my aeroplanes as I found them to cause too much damage, especially when Kangaroo droppings get caught in them (and our airfields are littered with them).
Erans, you did a great job. You actually have given me a lot of repair technique ideas. The wing damage is similar to mine. I never thought about laying a Dubro fuel tank on its side, clever! I like the tank hold down strap though I cannot identify it. Nicely done!
Old 05-07-2019, 06:41 PM
erans

propstryker - I am glad to hear that some techniques will be of use for you. Having these forums these days provide the kind of information that is sometimes unobtainable in the local airfield, especially with the dominance of ARF and foam aeroplanes.
The fuel tank is held by two side "hook and Loop" from the local department store (used for gardening, to tie plants). This is wrapped around under the tray where a "stick on" hook and loop (Dubro #348) hold it in place under the tray and to the fuel tank itself. I use this same method for battery trays and receiver mounts.

Since posting the last photos, I made few changes in my attempts to resolve the power issue. I was suspecting that I get air bubbles from the filter attachment., While I was at it (replacing the fuel line to exclude the filter) I decided to move the fuel tank further back to the fuselage on a built new tray. Looking from the bottom it is mounted inverted to the tray. This change required to move the batteries make space, and new mounts were made for them to the fuselage side next to the wing saddle.

Cheers,
Eran

Old 05-08-2019, 08:45 AM
propstryker

This is great erans, thank you! You took out a lot of time to document your work and I appreciate it. I will use some of these ideas on my current project that I am just finishing up, a Sig 1/3 scale Spacewalker with a Saito 300 twin. I am just starting on organizing the batteries, rx etc. There is more room than in the Pitts. For such a wide fuse on the Pitts, my big hands can get cramped in the Pitts pretty fast!
Old 05-08-2019, 04:09 PM
erans

propstryker - The SIG 1/3 scale Spacewalker is an awesome flying aeroplane. Our club president used to have one with a DLE 55cc engine. Unfortunately. it had a mid-air with a small electric Extra 300, which went vertical into it like a surface to air missile and completely destroyed it.
Cheers,
Eran

Old 05-11-2019, 12:28 PM
propstryker

Beautiful plane! Classic yellow with red. Too bad a little electric took down this huge classic. A Sig Spacewalker takes a little longer to put together than an ARF! Thanks for sharing.