Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Buddy Leads & Dual Rates - A Cautionary Tale

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Buddy Leads & Dual Rates - A Cautionary Tale

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 02:42 PM
ric_lamb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buddy Leads & Dual Rates - A Cautionary Tale

This was my first crash with my Seagull Boomerang Trainer, with OS46LA and Futaba radio gear.

I've flown for a few weeks with my instructor using a buddy lead and wasn't doing too bad. Had a bit of trouble landing, but nothing hard that did any damage.

Anyway, last week I had three flights during Sunday afternoon and again, wasn't too bad. For my fourth flight, one of the other instructors said he would take me up, but we didn't use the lead. He misunderstood how much I was able to fly, so took the Boomerang off with my Tx and said he felt it was twitchy - something I hadn't been aware of before. Anyway, he handed over and hell's teeth, it seemed much faster and tougher to fly that ever before. To cut a long story short, I went inverted, got it back and then it went sailing off into the distance, over the Golf Course next to our field. I managed to invert it again, but it was way too far away for me to see which direction it was going. Pulled a left turn and did a beautiful wing-over behind some trees. Back up again and I just saw it going up up and away. By this time, my instructor realised I was out of my depth and took the box, but it was far too late!! Straight in at full chat. We went over to the Golf Club and apologised for any problems! I was lucky, I hadn't hit anyone, nor was anyone anywhere near as it came down.

The wing is now 2/3 and 1/3 the fuse 1/2 & 1/2 and the engine buried one half of the prop in the ground, broke the aluminium mount and ended up 15 feet away, in perfect order. All the radio gear is good too.

Got everything back and at the post mortem, decided that I had previously flown on the Dual Rate setting on the Master Tx and when we used my own, the Rate switch must have got knocked into the 'up' position, giving me nearly twice the throw I was used to.

So here's my tip ----- CHECK THE RATES ON BOTH TRANSMITTERS ! ! ! ! !

Take Care Out There

Ric
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54069.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	66372   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xt60117.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	66373   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kq36105.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	66374  
Old 10-08-2003, 03:08 PM
3d-aholic
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: Buddy Leads & Dual Rates - A Cautionary Tale

said he felt it was twitchy
...as maybe in "overly sensitive"...

Sounds to me like you may have had the dual rates set differently between the buddy box and the real transmitter. Or, maybe the buddy box didn't even have dual rates.

I think the dual rate switch causes more problems than its worth.......get a hack saw!!!!

I only use it when I do the first flight because I have no idea what to expect. I want a crutch against over-control and/or may need "extra" control if something is terribly wrong. After that, I try and fly all the time with the most sensitive setting..... I think its better that way.
Old 01-21-2004, 08:41 AM
lennonj

Hi Ric my name is John. My apolagies for the crash, looks in a bad way. Is that no good now, will you need to buy all new parts??? I bought a boomerang 2 days ago and im still in the process of building it. I have never flown a remote control areoplane in my life but i have paid for some lessons from a very well known pilot in my area. I was just wondering if you can give me some pointers, Like what speed it does, how easy or hard is it to control, wht ever you think will help me out. I will see mine flying on Sunday but i wont get to control it. But just for a heads up.

Thanks Ric
Old 01-21-2004, 04:15 PM
Katana

That plane is fixable
Old 01-21-2004, 07:07 PM
SkyDude

I thought boomerangs were supposed to come back to you? (Sorry, couldn't resist)

Sorry about your crash. I do a preflight check each time which includes noting the frequency pin # before turning on the radio. Then turn on the radio and check the radio model #, battery status and switch settings before I turn on the plane. Then I turn on the plane and check each control surface movement. It takes all of 20-30 seconds and if it saves me just one plane, then it's worth it. Plus, I feel more like a real pilot by doing safety checks. It's a good habit to get into.

Also, I wouldn't recommend flying without a buddy box if you're still not comfortable with soloing. Sounds like you've had some experience, but I've seen guys drop transmitters trying to hand it off in a hurry/panic and that's never good. Even if you don't drop it, there's a good chance for accidently hitting a switch, trim tab or control stick.