Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Kombat 40 eats dirt

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Kombat 40 eats dirt

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2002, 02:14 PM
Sawyer692-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kombat 40 eats dirt

Here's a buddies Kombat 40 after his second solo. He got disoriented and lost it behind some trees. The carb was ripped off, wing mount torn, fuse bent to hell, vertical stab bent and almost ripped off, and the landing gear was tweaked. He was heartbroken when he saw it but I told him she would fly again. Well, the sun was going down so we worked quickly. We have a hobby shop at our field so we got a replacement gear and a few bolts and finished just before cerfew. Only took about 45 minutes.

The LHS owner was doubtful so we started her up and I although she was running rough, I lifted her into the sky, did two laps and landed. I then looked over at him and gave him a "I told you so" grin. I made the student who crashed it fly it once more and land as a confidence rebuilder.

These planes rock!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	9846_4404.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	6823  
Old 04-30-2002, 04:33 PM
Davis

The Combat airplanes are great. I have two of them, and have crashed, rebuild them several times. After you learn how the fly the trainer get the sport wing. Make it a taildragger, and it will be a hot rod. I have had many a people say these airplanes fly poorly. I think they fly great, and they are not a one crash airplane.
Old 04-30-2002, 05:13 PM
Sawyer692-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

They do fly great. The above airplane belongs to a guy I'm teaching to fly (with no buddy box). I had a Kombat trainer as my first plane and I did get the sport wing and made it a taildragger. I can't count the number of time I was the only one at the field going home with an airplane that was still capable of flying the next day.
Old 09-08-2002, 01:33 PM
HighSierra
My Feedback: (2)

I honestly wonder why more beginers don't buy this plane as a trainer, and once they out grow the trainer just do the sport conversion!! I too am a proud owner.... with some modificatioonis...I've got a 61FX on the front of mine (rather than a .46), I made new horizontal and vertical stabs so I could get larger control surfaces, and I've drilled it in so many times it's ridiculous...... From lnading it upside down (was seeing how low I could go inverted.... on the third pass of dragging the vertical tab across the pavement she decided to stay down.....new prop and it was back in the air), I've flat spun it straigt into the middle of the runway......(engine quit and it wouldn't stop spining....no damage at all) among many other crashes that would send any other plane to the trash can. My fuselage is bent and tweaked but It still flys nicely.... It is an absolute kick to fly...... and deffinatly has a zero pucker factor..... which is nice! I'd reccomend one of these to anyone starting out over ANY other trainer!!