Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Severe Aileron flutter smashes both servos!

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Severe Aileron flutter smashes both servos!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2002, 06:03 AM
SkintWorks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Severe Aileron flutter smashes both servos!

Just put a new more powerful engine (OS25 LA) on my favorite own design tiny 2 1/2lb aerobatic machine.

In a fast dive appoximately towards myself the ailerons suffered major and violent flutter, this then sent the aircraft directly towards me! :stupid: eek! One could see the ailerons buzzing away at high speed which sounded like the aircraft was firing bullets at me. I quickly applied elevator and took it as high as I could. I immediatley noticed there was no aileron response and it was out of control. I chopped the power and stupidly applied the flaperons! This sent it spinning downwards (one servos must of gripped onto the only remaining gear tooth!), so I applied power and opposite rudder and elevator (I think) but it went behind some big trees, however it recovered, I could see it was still flying by the occasional glimpse through the branches and leaves, so using my keen sense of guess work I chopped the power, donned my xray specks, slowed it up and landed it....I think! Without me seeing anything I expected to find a pile of bits! Amazingly there was no damage apart from a buckled undercarriage and two completely destroyed mini servos. I went to the shop and replaced them with metal gears!

I was pleased because I really like this little plane.
Old 05-16-2002, 04:47 PM
AirplaneDan98

LOL. Sounds like you had a VERY LUCKY day at he flying field.
Old 05-25-2002, 11:46 PM
rcpropnut
My Feedback: (30)

You say you put a more powerful engine on the plane was your other a 20 or 15.
Old 05-26-2002, 11:48 PM
Extra_flya

I've never had flutter in the 5 years I have been flying now but I have had many hinges break on me. They will just slide right out then when you feel the hinge it feels as smoothe as glass. Cost me a Morris hobbies Top Cap and a few other things

Jake