Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Any Hobbico NexSTAR CRASHES or MISHAPS???

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Any Hobbico NexSTAR CRASHES or MISHAPS???

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2003, 03:51 AM
bobs_201
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Hobbico NexSTAR CRASHES or MISHAPS???

Tell me about your NexSTAR CRASH...include picture/videos if possible.
Old 11-30-2003, 08:33 AM
jboy381-RCU

Default RE: Any Hobbico NexSTAR CRASHES or MISHAPS???

from what i hear,that plane is uncrashable...a lot if people have said it's the perfict traner...

john
Old 12-07-2003, 09:55 PM
Pilotsmoe

I don't know about that, any plane can crash.
Old 12-08-2003, 10:52 AM
shawnh

I ran into a guy at the LHS that put his in the ground. I dont know the details of the crash I just know he bought another one so he could keep flying.
Old 12-18-2003, 07:11 AM
Col. K0rn
My Feedback: (1)

Default Yes, the Nexstar will crash

Yes, it will crash. One of my buddies bought one to learn how to fly on. He was flying great all day, but made a classic beginners mistake. He flew until it was too dark. How dark is too dark, you ask? Dark enough to where he got disoriented, and misjudged his plane's height, and spun it into the ground. It had a debris field about 40 feet in diameter.[]
Old 12-22-2003, 12:25 PM
Thunderbird5

Default RE: Yes, the Nexstar will crash

Believe me, it can crash. ANYTHING can crash.
Old 12-22-2003, 06:34 PM
bentgear

Default RE: Yes, the Nexstar will crash

Saw one fall of the hobby shop shelf. Crashed real good, no damage tho.............

Ed M.
Old 12-25-2003, 11:49 PM
ethrjock

Well I did it. I destroyed my new 2 day old Nexstar today. Sorry no pics.

I was a "ok" flyer about 8 years ago (trainer 40 by great planes). I wanted to get back into the hobby. I knew I needed to re-start with a trainer so I bought the NexStar.

On my first flight it was a bit windy. I took her up and flew it for 5 minutes or so. Not sure how long she could fly for on a tank and considering the amount of taxing around I did I felt it was time to land her. The landing was pretty good. One bounce but she came back to the ground intact. What a rush it was.

On the next day, Christmas day, I was less nervous since I felt good that i flew her and landed it sucessfully. I was in the air about 2 minutes practicing my landing aproaches. I misjugded the distance the plane was from me as I brought it over the tree tops. I thought the plane was between me and the trees....my mistake. It was still above the trees. I hit a small pine as she descended for landing about 30 feet up. It hit hard on the wing and them smashed into the ground. It broke the fuselage in half near the servo tray and broke 1/3 of the wind in half. 2/3's of the wing made it to the ground the other 1/3 was in the top of a pine tree. Needless to say I was heart broken. My wife bought it for me for christmas.

The engine and radio seems ok. The tail section is ok. I had to use my shot gun to retreive a part of the wing left in the tree. I limped back home not looking forward to telling her about the crash.

Now what? The fuse kit is $62 and the wing is $69. Both are on back order at Tower hobbies. Part of me thinks I should just buy another type of trainer ARF. Not because the Nexstar is a bad plane but because I can buy another plane for the cost of a wing and fuse for the Nexstar. I do agree with others the AFS system is of no use. I disabled it. So without that it is more like any other trainer. Any sugestion?? ...besides getting my prescription glasses checked. How about the Hobbico MKIII.

Man....depth percepiton is a bear. I never thought the plane was any where near that tree. Boy was I wrong when I heard the loud crack.
Old 12-27-2003, 09:41 PM
Combat Addict

The AFS can mess up if the sun is at a low angle. So expect pics uall.
Old 12-28-2003, 12:21 AM
Dewalt17

I almost had some good video today of my dads Nexstar. We both have Nexstars and I am a little ahead of him with getting mine broken in and flying on the sim. He still doesnt land too well on the sim. Today he was breaking the motor in and doing a little taxiing around. Now keep in mind that today was my first solo and no way was he going to be "outdone" by his son. I kept telling him dont take that thing off the ground until you master the sim. Did he listen??? Of course not. So one to many "wild hairs" later he advances the throttle, takes off. ALmost ground loops it, goes straight up, almost stalls it, sort of gets control, then does a loop. Halfway up the loop hands the tx over to an experienced pilot standing next to him(thank god he was there).

Now i also told him to disable the AFS but he likes the feature and doesnt listen much to me. Today was the worst day to have it on, bright, sunny, not a cloud in the sky kinda day. When the experienced pilot grabbed the controls he was fighting the plane all over the place. He almost crashed it. Brought the plane right down and landed it. The experienced pilot was shaking as bad as i was on my first flight. Once on the ground we told him about the AFS feature. Needless to say he wasnt thrilled about the system.

My dad now agrees that he will be disconnecting the AFS altogether. Well if thats all it took to get him to listen to me we should have had him fly weeks ago!!!!
Old 12-28-2003, 01:33 AM
FletchNJ

Yup I agree. Havent had my NexSTAR even fired up yet, but I have already gutted the AFS, and am eyeing that hole up for maybe some video opportunities.

Can't wait to get an instructor and get that baby up in the air!

Fletch
AMA 796990
Old 12-30-2003, 10:45 AM
Born to Fly

Eventually whether the user gutted the AFS or not, the price of AFS is being paid for already.

I was only hoping that NexSTAR come up with a basic ARF version that excludes all the fancy stuff that I don't need, like AFS, and also I don't like the transmitter supplied with it...
Old 12-30-2003, 02:40 PM
FletchNJ

Unfortunately true. I purchased a Futaba 6 Channel and have carefully packed the NexStar Futaba and servos and their AFS reciever and posted it on E-Bay. I liked the plane, and the Sim. so whatever I get back for the Rx/Rx the better off I am.
Old 12-30-2003, 03:21 PM
tiggerinmk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Born to Fly
I was only hoping that NexSTAR come up with a basic ARF version that excludes all the fancy stuff that I don't need, like AFS, and also I don't like the transmitter supplied with it...
Well that's the problem with RTF packages, you pays yer money, yer makes yer choice as they say. That's what ARF's and kits are for.
A couple of years back when I had the choice of what was available, I looked at the RTF's and and decided to make up my own package with a 60 sized ARF. Of course, now you can get 60 sized RTF's....

Maybe in a few months when the level of interest has been established in the plane an ARF might become available, but don't hold your breath as the Nexstar is more of an integrated package than yer average RTF...
Old 12-30-2003, 06:30 PM
swishman6

Default RE: Any Hobbico <span class=

Well here ya go!! You may have to download it but you can click on pictures for larger on or click on link for vid.
Old 12-30-2003, 06:32 PM
swishman6

Default RE: Any Hobbico <span class=

Sorry forgot the link !!!! http://www.basickoncepts.com/nexstar/index.htm
Old 01-16-2004, 04:16 AM
beavercric

Totally destroyed it today! Did the simulator, landing well etc, and decided to take it to the air. had a great time doing tricks until my wife asked me to land it. I was watching the plane against the clouds and then heard a thump.....ran nose first into the top of a power pole. It cracked the fus at servo box and broke couple minor things. two hours later after spare parts and I was in the air again. This time it wouldn't turn left well and had a hard time controlling it. Lost it in low clouds and heard a loud crash. Man I didn't know there was that much wood. I think I broke everything on the damn plane.
Looking for a replacement plane now. USED CHEAP. NOT WHITE. I think for a trainer they should have colored it all red and black or something diff.
Old 01-16-2004, 09:31 AM
FletchNJ

You should also look for an instructor, and an AMA club to join in your area. Sounds like you decided to go it alone?
Old 01-16-2004, 12:02 PM
ifixairplanes
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!![8D] i dont think there a smiley to describe it...[sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif]
ORIGINAL: ethrjock

I had to use my shot gun to retreive a part of the wing left in the tree. I limped back home not looking forward to telling her about the crash.
Old 01-18-2004, 02:02 AM
Birddog-RCU
My Feedback: (62)

Ya gotta kinda wonder what was left of it after the shot peppered it huh? I'm not sure I've ever conisidered taking a shotgun to the flying field but then we don't have any trees where I fly. I had a good laugh myself
Old 01-18-2004, 02:06 AM
twindaddy_1
My Feedback: (3)

Haven't read all the post's but , I have a question about all the hoopla about nexstar.

Is it just a gyro????

I'm a 10year heli guy and without research that is what it sounds like.[&:]
Old 03-07-2004, 08:29 PM
youngjw

Proof that the Nexstar is indeed crashable. This is the results of the 4th flight on the first day with my instructor at my local AMA club field, buddy cord in use.

Can't say what happened, after relinquishing control to me, I gues I got disoriented and nosed it into the gravel driveway. The instructor tried to take control but couldn't respond quickly enough.

What's the prognosis of the OS .46fx after nose diving into gravel at about 70mph? I'm in contact with Hobbico to see if I can get the plane replaced.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh17123.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	108903  
Old 03-08-2004, 01:18 AM
FletchNJ

There is about a 2 second delay when switching from Trainer to Trainee or vice-versa. I noticed this when matching up the trim settings between my 6XEA and my 4YF buddy box. Add that to the reaction time, and the trainer cord will not save you if you are just about to crash. [:@]

Did you have the AFS on?
Old 03-08-2004, 10:50 PM
youngjw

No, per my instructors request, I lef the AFS disconnected.
Old 03-08-2004, 11:13 PM
FletchNJ

Well good for you, personally, I dont believe in the AFS for myself either. That is where they may deny your claim. Good luck, and keep us posted!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.