Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

kadet is total

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

kadet is total

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2002, 10:08 PM
upnflyin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kadet is total

Put my kadet senior in full bore tt61 just screamin all the way.
It was dumb thumbs fault. There wasn't hardly anything that wasn't broken. Ripped the servos out of the wing. Eng was buried about 8 inches in hard dirt. Broke carb off. Like I said there just isn't much left to salvage. Have to build another now that I know what mods I would have included had I known about them before. Now its back to building therapy again.
Old 05-13-2002, 10:54 PM
majortom-RCU
My Feedback: (40)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kadet is total

8" into hard dirt hurts just to read it. Sounds like the TT is a goner as well, unlikely the crankshaft held up to that punishment. However, I buried a GMS47 in soft soil a year or so ago, broke off carb, gave it up for lost, kept it in a bag for a year before doing anything with it, pulled it out the other day, disassembled and inspected, and it doesn't look so bad. Got it soaking in kerosene right now, bearings turn without any ticking, so I have a new carb on the way and will see how it runs once I put it together again. You never know.

Bot a Sr Kadet at auction a week ago, had a Saito 80 in it. Been trying to fly, but bad weather keeps me out of the air. Patched the covering in several spots. Removed 1/4" balsa servo mount rails, replaced w/1/4" birch ply. Put in wing mount dowels up front, hold-down bolts in back. Re-routed antenna inside fuse, now tip of antenna almost reaches the opening at the tail. Bird came with two wing servos (on same channel) and strip ailerons. Engine ran great for one tank on the ground, 9300 rpm on 14x5 prop, but at end of run I notice the mount is hanging off the firewall by three loose screws, fourth screw shaken out entirely. No way to access the screws without removing the engine first. Vertical stab shaking 1-2" either way, so put in tail-brace wires with Sullivan kevlar package, fixed it good. Put a drawer pull knob in wing at CG (ran threaded rod through the wing, re-inforced with triangle stock), stuck a clamp on it and re-balanced with 1/2 oz weight on wingtip. Knob lets me pick up & carry assembled plane around field & pits with one-hand. Re-connected engine after fixing the mount, ran it a few minutes to re-set throttle ATV, has the nicest slow idle I've ever seen. Ready to fly when it started to rain, so back to the house.

Saito 80 seems like mucho power, ought to go vertical all day, we'll see. This is not a plane to do much stunting with, but could be a glider tractor one of these days.

Will try to post flight results later this week.