Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

HELP !!! CRASH AT THE SEPULVEDA BASIN !

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

HELP !!! CRASH AT THE SEPULVEDA BASIN !

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2004, 08:56 PM
newart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP !!! CRASH AT THE SEPULVEDA BASIN !

I was flying this morning minding my own business when some guy came from the right w./ a Cub taking off perpendicular to the runway. I’ve glanced over my shoulder for few seconds . . . and next thing you know . . . I’ve lost sight of my plane! I wiggled the wings but the plane I was looking at wasn’t mine (!). I didn’t even see where and when it went down! I looked in the bushes for about 4-5 hours but all I got was a golf ball (the entire site was an airplane graveyard) !!!
IN CASE ANYBODY WAS AT THE SEPULVEDA BASIN THIS MORNING (SUNDAY 01/04/04) DID YOU SEE ANYTHING? IF SOMEBODY FINDS THE PLANE OR KNOWS OF ITS WHEREABOUTS PLEASE E-MAIL ME (I’ve also posted a sign at The Apollo XI Field). It was a Hirobo Sky Trend Max .40.
Any lead will be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92467.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	87781  
Old 01-04-2004, 09:39 PM
ifixairplanes
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: HELP !!! CRASH AT THE SEPULVEDA BASIN !

i've had that problem before, but i always was able to refind my plane. After a few scares like that I now con stantly keep my eyes on my aircraft and NEVER turn away from it. sorry to hear about that. Excuse to move up to bigger and better planes

sean
Old 01-04-2004, 09:40 PM
Dewey2
My Feedback: (24)

with it being a trainer type . ultra stable it mite be in the next state . check local radio stations they mite say something about it . a guy did about the samething with his pt 40 it went 3 miles away hit somebodys pool . anyway good luck
Old 01-04-2004, 10:22 PM
jsn
My Feedback: (8)

If you were at half throttle or so I'll keep my eye's open here in vegas prophanger is right it may very well be several miles away. just for future reference.... I put a small name plate in all of my planes, name address and phone# and reward if found. haven't needed to use it thankfully.

John
Old 01-04-2004, 11:07 PM
newart

That's a good idea, AMA # will help too . . . Where do you put yours on the plane?
Old 01-04-2004, 11:09 PM
ifixairplanes
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont put my name in cause it might break something i cant afford.....
sean
Old 01-04-2004, 11:11 PM
newart

OS .46FX at full power ! Hmmm, it might be in the dam now . . .
Old 01-04-2004, 11:19 PM
zetor
My Feedback: (2)

LOL
ORIGINAL: ifixairplanes

i dont put my name in cause it might break something i cant afford.....
sean
Old 01-04-2004, 11:31 PM
jsn
My Feedback: (8)

newart, I put mine somewhere in the wing saddle/receiver area inside the plane, i use clear packing tape to secure it.

ifixairplanes, yeah i have to admit that thought crossed my mind...... that's why I have insurance, I just hope if I ever need it the sob's pay the claim.

BTW newart I hope ya find your plane!!!!

John
Old 01-04-2004, 11:42 PM
upnflyin

Contact the AMA and they have adhesive labels for that purpose. I understood that it was a ama requirement that they be in all our aircraft. Good luck on finding it anyway. Losing one that way really s***s.
Al
Old 01-05-2004, 04:12 PM
invertedpass

It's a hard lesson to learn but your not the first to loose sight of your plane .I agree keep your eyes on your plane ,fly your flight not the other guys.Good luck finding it.[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 01-05-2004, 04:14 PM
Daren Savage
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: upnflyin
Contact the AMA and they have adhesive labels for that purpose. I understood that it was a ama requirement that they be in all our aircraft. Good luck on finding it anyway. Losing one that way really s***s.
I think it's only required if you want to file a claim. No address, no claim.

I'm sorry for your loss. This is yet another reason why it's a good idea to fly with a spotter (especially at a public park/flying field); they watch the traffic, you watch your airplane.

Daren
Old 01-06-2004, 02:14 AM
newart

After 4-5 hours of searching yesterday I went back today (this time equipped w./ some army binoculars), and still nothing. My only hope now is on the post I put at the field.
Old 01-06-2004, 02:16 AM
newart

Yeah, I agree w./ you. That’s my first (and hopefully last) that this is happening. See the next post on the results . . .
Old 01-06-2004, 04:20 PM
Montague

The AMA safety code requires the name or ama # in or on the plane. Planes that have "AMA" or "USA" followed by the number on the wing are fine. I always found that funny, since if it flew away and landed in some sub-division, your average joe home-owner with a new skylight is not going to know that the number on the wing somehow traces back to the owner. But that's just me.

Depending on the plane, one trick when you loose it, is to start looping. Obviously, if you're flying something that will fold the wings easily, this is a bad idea, but for most .40 and smaller sport planes, you can go to 3/4 throttle or so, and a reasonable amount of elevator, and hold it there and the plane will loop until you figure out which one is yours. Assuming it's not already over the horizon or in to the ground. (This is an RC Combat trick, when we often have a high number of very simular looking planes in close proximity. New pilots somtimes wind up flying the wrong plane, but the looping trick will save them most of the time)
Old 01-08-2004, 12:03 PM
Skeletor

I was trimming my plane once after a minor rebuild and looked down for the elevator trim on the TX, when I looked up, no plane. I had had it almost trimmed and figured "what have I got to lose" I pulled up on the elevator and saw a glint in the sky. I flew it back and finished the flight. And on the unlucky side of the coin, I've seen many postings on various fields that read "Reward, (tear stains) lost plane". I had some fun with my bro-in-law one evening, we were racing R/C cars that looked almost identical. His ran into the ditch and when I realized he thought my car was his, I started mimicing his inputs and finially got him to chasing my car around the yard, hehehe, when he finally realized what was going on, I had to run around the yard but it sure was fun!!!!!!!!!!!