Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Lanier Edge 540 crash...

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Lanier Edge 540 crash...

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2002, 04:03 AM
matlok

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lanier Edge 540 crash...

The crash happened a couple of months ago, but here's a pic of what's left anyway. Without going into the 3 page essay of it's last flight, I'll just shorten it to say that it started to dive from level flight, and it took full up elevator and full power just to keep it level. I managed to make a BIG flat turn at one end of the field, but by the time I fought it to the other end it decided that it just couldn't stay in the air, and went through the tops of some trees at full throttle, almost out of sight. Yadda yadda yadda.... we think that a hard landing a while back cracked the fuse behind the wing, and it finally let loose on this flight. Elevators, radio, etc. checked out ok. no range or batt. problems, no control surface/stab failure. Obviously totaled the plane, stripped 5 digital servos, cracked case on one, broke ignition module in two, broke ignition BATTERY pack in two, bent spinner backplate but luckily motor lived w/o major damage (a few scratches) - all in all, one of the worst wrecks I've ever seen. And it had to be mine!!

P.S. - A LOT of the joints in (whats left of) the fuse appear to have little to no glue on them. Most of them came apart cleanly without tearing or splintering, like they were pressure fit and never glued. I can't help but think this had a little to do with it, but oh well, so much for big ARF's.

Lanier - USE MORE GLUE! 2 oz EXTRA WON'T HURT!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	12427_4669.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	8231  
Old 05-28-2002, 04:06 AM
matlok

Oh yea, check out the wing tube - howz that for an impact!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	12428_4669.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	8232  
Old 05-28-2002, 01:12 PM
Extra_flya

God when these things crash they really explaode into millions of pieces. Sorry bout the loss.

Jake
Old 05-30-2002, 07:48 PM
Texas 3D
My Feedback: (16)

May the flying gods be good to her
Old 05-31-2002, 03:04 AM
Low Wing
My Feedback: (1)

tell me you didn't crash that and then do a rain dance on it
Old 05-31-2002, 04:28 AM
matlok

Low Wing:
nope - went through the top of a tree (several, actually).

It went in out over the woods off the end of our field. I saw it hit the first tree - sheared off a wing tip and started to rotate around. I lost sight of it as it went through the second (and third and fourth....) We had trouble finding it because there really wasn't a plane to find. Just pieces here and there. The tail w/elev. servos was in one tree, wrapped up by the rudder cables. The center of the wing and one aileron servo was in another tree, and a few pieces of the fuse was tangled up in another branch on the same tree. The motor was about 10 yards downsite from this tree, which was about 15 yards down from the first tree it hit. It took me and 5 other people about 2 hours to hunt for all the servos and climb trees to get the rx, servos, etc. I still don't have all the pieces either - once I found the expensive parts we grabbed the bulk of the mess and left.
Old 05-31-2002, 01:06 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That's another reason I won't buy an ARF. I want to KNOW how it's been built!
Old 05-31-2002, 11:11 PM
Low Wing
My Feedback: (1)

a friend of mine was power diving back from the east end of our field with a chipmunk...he lost his depth of perception and came through a tall tree at the very end of the tree line about 200 yards out...it came out on our side like confetti...it was a bad scene, it even broke the 4 stroke we found after we dug it out of the ground
Old 05-31-2002, 11:54 PM
Traxxas_Tech
My Feedback: (22)

Hmmmmm, I could fix it! :spinnyeye

Sorry for the loss, I know how you feel, I had a 120 Extra go into the asphalt at full throttle, Even destroyed the YS 120.

Good Luck with your next one!
Old 06-03-2002, 05:17 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I looked at one Saturday in the box and while the glue joints were not blatantly obvious, they were glued.