Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

ultra stick crash in the wind

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

ultra stick crash in the wind

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 10:44 PM
kerwin25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ultra stick crash in the wind

I had an ultra stick with a thunder tiger pro 46 with a 12x3 prop that i had been flying all summer and fall an then in dec it warmed up alittle so i thought i would take her out the wind was 20 mph and alittle gusty any ways i threw the trottle to her hed up in the elevator for an instance then i let off the elvator just like always the plane swung left an i add up elevator well she came up an rolled left i applied right alerion but she did not respond so i added more still nothing well she hit on her left wing tip destroying the wing an half the fuse
I am still wondering what i could of done to have prevented this crash when i picked up what was remaing of the wing i held it in the same atitude that it was in before she crashed an it seemed like the wind was putting on alot of pressure
should i of pull up elevator in an attempt to do a knife edge turn before trying to get my wings level again or added lots of right rudder to point the nose in a vertical position and climb out that way
it really made me quite sick losing this plane this way an i havn,t flown since kinda lost my confidence i have been flying on an off for the past 10 yrs an i rember losing lots of planes when i frist started flying but then i quit flying for the past6 yrs an have only started back this past spring anyways can any of u please give me some feedback
Old 02-05-2004, 12:04 PM
stuffer
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: ultra stick crash in the wind

If it wings over due to the wind I continue the turn with either rudder or elevator, and get on the downwind leg and use aileron to right the wings. if the force of the wind was strong enough to flip the wings then no matter what force is applied to the ailerons, it won't make a difference.
Old 02-07-2004, 10:39 AM
rik756
My Feedback: (12)

Perhaps Ailerons were plugged in backwards? I remove the wings of all my planes after flying (have to to transport) so when I put them together at the field I have occasionally plugged them in backwards. Sort of makes the case for pre-flight checksI guess and luckily I haven't forgotten to yet.

Just a thought.. Sounds like you either didn't have control, the control was reversed or the wind was just too strong to be flying.

Rick
Old 02-23-2004, 05:07 AM
billyreedy
My Feedback: (4)

I dont know if you are usinga computer radio or not, but I have see some instances where the dual aileron function was not turned on on the radio and therefore the plane was trying to fly on one aileron and not getting enough deflection to make enough thrust to turn. If you are using one I would check the program and see what is going on there. After flying that plane I am convinced that it would take a lot more wind than you are describing to overtake the plane. Other than that I am not really sure what could have caused it.
Old 02-23-2004, 07:21 PM
Rotcivv_17
Banned

you are ****ing crazy flying at 20 mph winds
Old 02-23-2004, 07:58 PM
Banned

you are ****ing crazy flying at 20 mph winds
20mph isn't too bad. I'm a newbie, but I flew my Xtra Easy II trainer in winds at least 20mph and didn't have many problems. Take off into the wind, get a mistake or 2 high, then when the wind does get you a little it's "Wheeeeeee!" You weren't taking off crosswind were you? That could be way bad.. - Joe
Old 02-25-2004, 07:25 AM
jettstarblue

Next time, wait a little longer, and if you are faced with this again-nose back down a bit, and steer with the RUDDER. Had a guy at the field that would get impatient, and pull the plane off as soon as it looked like it had flying speed, he lost more planes due to the type of crash you described.

Jetts