Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Bust the Nobler's back

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Bust the Nobler's back

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 08:53 AM
Spoiler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bust the Nobler's back

Had an engine out on Sunday last. The 40 FSR died after 3 consecutive loops at full throttle. I was plenty high enough and didnt try too hard to bring the bird back, just did a quick 360 to get her facing into the wind. I must have tapped off too much airspeed instead of letting her dive and pulling out for a nice landing. She stalled and went in from about 30 feet at 60 deg. The elevator had no effect despite the rapid increase in airspeed. The noise was deafening and the plane bounced back into the air in a couple of pieces. There was a stunned silence from the rest of the field who were watching (I was the only plane in the air). Damage was limited to the fus - she went in dead straight so the wings are 100%. She broke in half midway down the wing cutout at the thinnest part of the fus, the front tank hatch came adrift and the rudder hinges (badly installed ca hinges!) popped. I've had many deadstick landings in the last year and never had a problem - this was the Noblers first tho. I reckon the highish wing loading undid me and I stalled her. Would never have guessed she was so temperamental from low speed handling I'd experienced on landing approaches. Anyway, I was lucky and the fus is back together already. After an engine test on the bench, I'll get her in the air again in a week or so.[8D]