Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Tree induced loop

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Tree induced loop

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2002, 01:41 PM
rsallen13
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tree induced loop

This didn't happen to me but a couple of years ago when I was living in New Jersey one of our senior members had a flight I will always remember.

He was flying a giant scale bipe in a pretty navy trainer colors just tooling around the pattern trying out the new ignition he put on his glow four stroke.

He started to make a long approach from the north coming in over the trees. Usually you make your final turn in front of the trees as there is a lake on the north side of the trees.

Well to make a long story short he misjudge his altitude and caught the top forked tree branches just as he was adding power to gain altitude. Realizing he had been caught by the tree he cut the throttle.

The plane rebounds back and the comes forward popping out and flipping over out of the branches on the field side of the trees pointed straight down. A bunch of us at the same time yell "ADD POWER" to which he throttled up and pulled out about 15ft from the ground.

He flew around for about 5 or 6 minutes to regain himself before landing this time making the approach in front of the trees.

The only damage was a small dent on the leading edge of one of the upper wings. He did have additional drag in the way of some small branches that were caught up in the Cabanes and landding gear.

I only wish we had gotten it on video. If there hadn't been a large group of us at the field I don't think anyone would have ever believed that it actually happened.