Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Thunder Tiger Trainer 60 crash-0

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Thunder Tiger Trainer 60 crash-0

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2002, 11:23 AM
Steve-o-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wow

hey Mammilian....

Tough breaks.... nice crash pics though !!!!! nice to see the INSIDE of my plane. (how is the glue joints on yours, now that you are in the guts?????)

I have rebuilt it, made it better (Steve Austin) it flies really good, landings are improving.... Flair!~ Flair Dammit!!!! This TT60 has 18 flights on it.

I love this plane, and am in no hurry to move from a trainer ... this thing can do anything i want it to, except hover. flies inverted really well, hands off !!! anyone else have a TT60?

Oh yea... the other day, i was watching the guy who tought me to fly teaching an older gentleman (60ish) to fly. Has the TT40 - basically same bird. Not on a buddy box, instructor took off, leveled, handed her over to overconfident, coke bottle glasses wearing old fart. Here is where everybody else at the field starts their stop watches. Flying it like Mr. Magoo. Swoops, rolls all the way inverted in the turns, saves it from eating dirt 3' off the deck in a turn on his second pass. Instructor takes box back..... three or four patterns, hands back.... WOW, Has he been drinking???? looks like Dean Martin driving after a night at the Copa.

Anyway, within three minutes he had that thing balled up. Turn to final (altough i dont think he had intended to land) went inverted, straight into terra firma. Overconfident Magoo makes walk-o-shame.... he's out there for 20 minutes looking for the hunk of metal that used to be at the front of his plane. Was kinda funny.... like pee in the pants funny. I know we should not celebrate other's failures, but this was too much....

Mamm.... have you re-built her? that plastic piece of the fuse doesnt look too good at all. Whats your evalaution??

Ken: what do you think??? are you succesful at flying now? what do you hink of the TT60? send a pic or two !!!!!!!!
Old 08-12-2002, 04:19 PM
Mammalian04

Default Thunder Tiger Trainer 60 crash-0

I don't think so. There are just too many things wrong with it. When it smacked tree it poked holes everywhere on top of all the MAJOR structural damage. Landing gear broke, would have to get new left wing or completely rebuild (beyond repair), rebuild top half of plane from rear of the wings forward, more holes, ect.

Would take way to long. Another 135 is a little steep for my pocketbook right now but it beats spending the amount of time for repair. I go back to school in 2 weeks and next semester is going to be extreamly tough for me so I don't think I would have time to fly anyway. Will probably rebuild over Christmas.

On the bright side the engine cleaned up great and all radio and servo's apear ok. Haven't tried it but seems to look good. If I was gonna total it I'd want it to be a crash like that. Was pretty cool (besides the whole destoyed plane part!)

Take it easy,
Jason
Old 08-14-2002, 05:09 PM
Montague

Default why deadstick landings are better

I think part of the reason why people seem to land better deadstick has to do with the power coming from the engines, even at idle, espeically since a lot of people run fairly high idles. With out the engine, you wind up in a stable glide and a low airspeed. With the engine running, even at idle, you don't have the drag from the stopped prop, and you have a little thrust, so you're more likly to come in a bit fast for an easy flair.

I once had a supra-fly 25 with an OS .32F on a pipe. That thing couldn't land on my normal field at the time with the engine running with out a strong wind blowing.
Old 08-15-2002, 09:19 AM
Steve-o-RCU

Default And now i see.........

Hey, that is something i never really thought about.

My TT60 has a TT .61 at the front. I always set the idle so that on the ground, the plane will sit still, on asphalt. So, my idle is set really low.

But you bring up interesting points about good dead sticks and idle speed. My trainer comes in pretty hot - it was relatively heavy to begin with + lotsa epoxy. In a dead stick situation, it comes in nicely.

Hmmmmmmm..............i see the light.

Steve-o
AMA 747902

Swerving all over the sky
Old 08-16-2002, 03:06 AM
FlooredCOBRA

one thing i always do is cut power to idle on last turn and line up. If it comes in to shallow i add very little power but keep nose up whole time. Naturally at a slow speed where it wont gain alttitude. Then i put it across the field till over runway,with nose still up and then cut power to idles again. Then i start to flare slowly puling back until it about stalls then land.

At times i use the throttle to loose and gain alttitude when the nose is up. I just line up with nose up and lower idle to loose alttitude or gain power to rise some. You can settle it doen very slow by doing this. Looks good to!
Old 08-16-2002, 04:03 AM
Mammalian04

Default Flaperons?

I am thinking about my next TT60 I am going to build. What do you guys think about dual servo's for flaperons?

Jason
Old 08-16-2002, 09:47 AM
Steve-o-RCU

Default Way to go.....

Cobra : that's the text book method!!!! doesn't always work out that way for me, but that's the way .........

Mamm......Your building another one???? Way cool - i love this plane. Flaperons? Awesome.... she does come in kinda hot.... flaps would slow 'er down just right.

Side Note: last night I pulled the ailerons off, saw that all the hinges where never even glued in. Scary.... glad i fixed this before they jettisoned in flight.
Old 08-16-2002, 08:41 PM
FlooredCOBRA

text book method, well never thought of it that way...hahaha. well just saying what works for me. I guess I started landing this way when I started flying my Morris Hobbies Spinsation. I like those slow floating lands. Then i just carried out this way wih other planes when landing.
Old 08-18-2002, 05:05 PM
Hummve

good thing it went down before the water steve-o
Old 08-19-2002, 09:42 AM
Steve-o-RCU

Default Water Landing 101

Yea, I didn't have the floats on either....

I don't know how to convert it into a sub....I think i would need additional servos...?

I don't know how to swim......

she still flies great....

Any one else have one, fly one?
Old 08-28-2002, 03:01 PM
Partsmn

Default Tiger Trainer 60

Just got one of these finished with a Enya 80 four stroke for power! All the guys at the field said it will probably have enough guts to hover! The plane is exceptionally good looking. And I'm anxious to fly it soon. As you said it may be wise to land dead stick as it will probably come in fast.
Old 08-29-2002, 09:28 AM
Steve-o-RCU

Default He aint' heavy, he's my trainer.......

Wow......the first i have heard of a four up front!
I would think it is exceptionally heavy now?
What is your empty tank weight?
Where did it balance?
have you fown it yet?
Send some pictures !!!!!!

Advice:
#1. Pull the ailerons off, glue the hinge pins in both the wing and the aileron.

#2. Replace the weak landing gear. The front one went south on the first crash.... re-bent, re-bent again, etc.... I got Fault's dual strut nose gear $15.- http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1&I=LXH125&P=0
and a BJ's Mfg aluminum main gear $15.- again.http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1&I=LXCFR7&P=0

#3. Epoxy that firewall in !!!

#4. Actaully i epoxied all that i could see...... all ribs, servo tray, etc....

#5. Replcae the weak wire pushrods.. the wood ones are okay, but the nose gear one will be weak when you repace the gear.

Other than that, she flies awesome !

Steve-o
Old 08-29-2002, 01:21 PM
Partsmn

Default Trainer 60

Will take a picture or two shortly. Actually I was ready to add ballast thinking the engine would make it nose heavy and when we checked the center of gravity it was right on the money! Radio, fuel tank, ect are in factory recommended places... This thing ought to be John Deere green with this much torque. Would be a perfect "tractor plane" for pulling up glider planes... or maybe put floats on it and pull water skiers! Reminds me of the the old V8 vega engine conversion. No weight and tons of pull....Only thing I would do different is maybe put a set of shock insulator engine mount in it as the stock oem from thunder tiger is a little on the scrawney side for this but it does work...till later
Old 09-19-2002, 10:07 AM
Steve-o-RCU

Default Did I really just crash into my pickup truck?

What a goober!! Ican't believe Ireally crashed into my pickup truck !!!!!!
Check out the pictures while i tell the story.

Since my last posts i have replaced the firewall completely, faulks dual wire up front, tru-turn, replaced fuel tank after it developed a split at the seam, rebalanced flies well....almost 40 flights on 'er.

Found a huge field out west towards the everglades that a couple guys fly at. Dirt & Gravel. I ussually fly off asphalt. First sortie at this field, i don't have any reference points for base to final turn, take it too wide.....but its okay, its a huge field....floating in....flair... lands main gear first, tail low...tail hits larger rocks thown to the side (to clear landing strip - remember i am wide 10') rips balance lead which was double sided taped to bottom of fuse completely off - wood and all !!

That was all the flying for that day. Repaired in 20 minutes at the house. Cut out and replaced 6" of wood on bottom of fuse at tail where weight was ripped off. Put the lead on the INSIDE this tim !! Put a piece of teflon runner on the bottom of fuse.
Bought dave brown 3.5" lite wheels - i love em !!!!!! Since they come in a pack of two (why is that?) i still used the original nose wheel.
next day i had four up and nine down (touch and goes count for landings) getting good at this.

okay so you guys are all up to date so far.?

Yesterday, i bolt from work early...pass by the crib to pick up my gear, beautiful day to fly 5 knots from the east. No one at the field. I pulled my truck onto the field near where i was gonna take off.
Gas up, take off into the wind....20 minutes with good approaches, touch and goes and good flying. Winds aloft are alot stronger than on the ground. I can tell when i turn.
Land, check 'er out, everything ok, gas up, back up.

30 minutes flying this time (i am trying to see what max flight time is) flying slow and lazy now, feeling really comfortable (danger zone) . I guess the winds had picked up a little and i didn't notice.
I am on final, lining up with the runway (the smooth area of the field) wind pushes it closer to me, crabbing into the wind now, and dammit if my truck didn't get in the way!!!

Ford F-150 with a ladder rack on it-------plane struck the ladder rack with a cool crash sound (it is amazing how quiet it is just after impact) Engine, firewall, tank and nose gear still fly another ten feet after impact - unfortunately the the rest of the plane didn't. Gouged the bottom fuse ripping two stringers (this and the firewall should be easy reapirs) the tail feathers came off - anyone who knows this plane knows it has two plastic pieces that make up the upper cabin all the way to the tail--the aft section, including the stab & elev

Whew !!! truck came out unscathed.

I'm, not worried about the plane - easy reapirs, it will be back in the air this weekend.

Man that was FUN !!!

So gentlemen, rejoice in my failure. I bet no one else has ever crashed into their own vehicle !!!!!! If so, i wanna hear it !!

I am glad i could give you guys a morning chuckle, and i deserve all the heckling you can muster.

Steve-o
Old 09-19-2002, 10:09 AM
Steve-o-RCU

Default Pics

jetisoned engine
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	26679_9655.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	8750  
Old 09-19-2002, 10:11 AM
Steve-o-RCU

Default pics

owwee.....

Name:	26680_9655.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	8751  
Old 09-19-2002, 10:12 AM
Steve-o-RCU

Default pics

where it impacted the upright of the ladder rack

Name:	26681_9655.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	8752  
Old 09-19-2002, 10:13 AM
Steve-o-RCU

Default pics

The carnage.

Name:	26682_9655.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	8753  
Old 09-19-2002, 01:26 PM
Partsmn

Default NAME CHANGE!!!

OK ! It's official We have changed your name to CRASH-O instead of Steve O........
Old 09-19-2002, 05:13 PM
Mammalian04

Yikes, I guess we have two TT60s down.

Jason
Old 09-19-2002, 05:24 PM
Steve-o-RCU

Default Down???????

Down???
not for long!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We can re-build it, we can make it better !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crash-o ..................kinda like it. says alot.

Do i get the dumbest crash award?????? i have looked all over this forum, i don't see any dumber moves....

Steve-o Crash-o
Old 09-19-2002, 07:45 PM
Unstable

Default crashing into ones own vehicle

I havent done it but i have witnessed it.

guy had a few electrics out at a hotel (were he was staying dueing a warbirds fly-in) took his first plane out into the courtyard and ended up crashing into the only tree there.

so he goes out front with another plane and flys around the parking lot.

during an approach he comes in wide... bounces off the hood of his friends car right into the side of his van.

minor damage to the plane but it was funny to watch.
Old 09-20-2002, 06:09 AM
Nex
My Feedback: (2)

Ok, this thread is going in my favorites.

This stuff is too funny, laughing so hard im crying
Old 09-20-2002, 09:20 AM
Steve-o-RCU

Default wow!!!

so i am almost ready to fly this weekend. Got most of 'er back together.

You know what amazes me? That when a 8-9 lb (heavy piece o' crap, huh?) plane smacks into something imovable at about 20 MPH, you would think i would have been picking up splinters, instead of what you see here.

Arf, Arf, Arf...........say what you will, but i don't think too many other planes woulda survived. let alone a cheapo arf from taiwan.

i really do know how to fly, honest. just maybe not as good as yous guys.

all in all, i love this peice o' crap..... i don't know why i always hear everyone asking what is good for a second plane... i'm bored, etc, etc....I am having enough fun with this plane, and am in no hurry to crash, er...fly another one.

Glad you guys like the pics, and rejoice in my agony. I am sure there will be more pictures and experiences posted here!!!

Steve-o
Old 06-08-2014, 10:21 AM
goobtdog

hi all I have one of thees tiger trainer's, And have had A lot of good flit's with it, but some bums and brusis, need to know whair to find some parts for it, like the wing tips and cowling,
its a 60 size glow with the marking's ( N60TT ) on the side of the fuselage