Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

My first crash in over 25 years! (pics)

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

My first crash in over 25 years! (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 06:36 PM
Chevelle
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first crash in over 25 years! (pics)

Not because I'm all that good. It's because I was away for all that time.

I escaped all last year without a mishap while I was relearning but it caught up to me today. (Some Easter.) Just a dumb thumbs thing. There was a mild crosswind, not enough to matter much but I wanted to practice so that I could handle stronger crosswinds. After a few passes over the field with the right amount of rudder keeping the plane slightly crabbed but straight down the runway, I thought I was ready.

I planned on a touch and go. Lined up great. The light wind cause a slight drift to the flight line. (I was alone at the field.) I zigged instead of zagged. Wrong rudder input. I was almost on the ground and going real slow. If I added power, I would have flown right over my head and directly over the flight line. Even though I was alone, that would not have been a good idea. I cut the throttle, put it down and hoped for the best. The plane touched down and rolled toward the fence. The wingtip clipped the post. A relatively mild event. The motor was still running!

Damage is easily repairable and I've already started. It should take just a few nights. 90% of it is just split wood that will easily CA in place. I'll have to make new wingtips though. They are plastic and the port one is pretty shattered. The hardest part will be to recover the whole wing.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg14088.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	121169  
Old 04-11-2004, 08:23 PM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: My first crash in over 25 years! (pics)

Ouch!, that royally sucks, I went to the field and had no mishaps but was paid a visit from a friend who bought my tiger 2, apparently he landed but the tail wheel didn't respond to his inputs(wheel collar was loose) and ended up rolling right into the small tree at the end of the field. He was upset that he broke the wing but I told him it would only take me 3-4 hours to fix and he sighed in relief. I didn't have the mishap but I still have my hands full in repairs for people.

Name:	Fd92990.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	121211   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83039.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	121212   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu51359.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	121213  
Old 04-11-2004, 09:14 PM
RCRAINMAN

Yikes!
Old 04-11-2004, 11:03 PM
BULL-RCU
My Feedback: (15)

Chevelle;

Sure we have been trying to fly together with our Eindeckers since last yr... Last week we plan to meet and we get SNOW Squalls in April... This week I show up and by chance you are there and I'm thinking "Great we can fly together..." Needless to say you showed me the results of your touch and go landing with the post... Get working remember Sunday next week is coming fast... PS: Thanks for the extra set of hands today at the field... Good thing you were there or I would have left and not got my 3 flights in... I was COLD! Oh yea Ontario is starting to dry up just a little soggy.... Bumpy Needs to be rolls bad. Later... Give me a call at work with your info... LEE
Old 04-12-2004, 09:02 AM
conradj87
My Feedback: (1)

Instead of trying to replicate their plastic wing tips, maybe cut the good one off as well and make your own? then you wouldn't have as much balance problems, etc.
Old 04-12-2004, 10:11 AM
Chevelle

Oh that is definitely the plan. I intend to make new wingtips from balsa block and replace the undamaged plastic one so that there is no balance problem.

The covering is on the way. Should have the wing rebuilt by mid-week, covered by the weekend and in the air on Sunday. Ya hear that Lee?
Old 04-15-2004, 11:02 PM
BULL-RCU

OK Chev... I'm suposed to meet you Sunday so we can Fly our Eindeckers Together... First We set up plans to meet on that Sunday April Squall snow conditions... two week later nice weather little cold and windy... I show up and you are loading up your crashed Eindecker... OK so were on for this Sunday... What do I do... Put it in the air on a buddy box with a guy and let him get too close to the Ground... Actually front of the plane got planted 6-8 inches nto the ground... Not going to be flying together this Sunday... One is order already and will be in Next week... My son in the pic with the plane..

Name:	Wu61090.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	203.3 KB
ID:	122766   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50031.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	234.8 KB
ID:	122767  
Old 04-18-2004, 03:22 PM
SunTracker

Whats this I see, ailerons? Well thats your problem right there. The real Fokker Eindecker used wing warping.
Old 04-18-2004, 06:01 PM
BULL-RCU

It's an Eindecker from about 200 ft away... any closer and it turns into a Trainer... but looks good and flys better... Was without doubt the best $100 plane I've ever baught...
Old 04-28-2004, 11:07 PM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't fly much huh?
I haven't crashed THIS month...
Old 04-29-2004, 08:19 PM
Chevelle

hehe. I've been lucky but the dumb thumbs caught up with me. All fixed and in the air now.

Name:	Nl30216.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	127677  
Old 04-29-2004, 09:00 PM
Chevelle

It's an Eindecker only if you are blind in one eye and can't see out of the other.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:01 PM
BULL-RCU

It's nice to have connections too... Chevelle is doing my new Eindecker front in the same Chrome... Can't wait... Not this Sunday, but the following we will be flying together... Thanks for helping me with the Cowl on the Eindecker...

PS: I fly at the same field as Chevelle and the cross winds can be nasty... The day he was there and crashed his I brought mine and was flying it... Doing low passes over the runway and holding it with the rudder it was flying at a 45% angle to the runway from the wind. Fun to watch but landing could be tricky... Rudder left / Rudder right.... Which way was it? OH YEA OPPS TOO LATE>... Bunch of the guys who don't know what a rudder is for won't even fly on those days. I've seen Chev fly and he's a good pilot, We all have those days... OPPS>>>>
Old 04-29-2004, 09:07 PM
BULL-RCU

Hey Chevelle....

The New Pilot for my WACO 60... Not sure how well she is at the controls , but she looks good doing it...

Name:	Ca82554.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	127683   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy80094.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	127684   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88784.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	127685  
Old 04-30-2004, 05:39 AM
Chevelle

Oooo Baby! She's a real doll!
Old 05-06-2004, 06:14 AM
BULL-RCU

Well, been working on my New Eindecker for the past few days... What a difference between my first Eindecker and this one I just baught to replace the one I crashed... Everything fit perfect on the first one... It went together fast and easy. This one was the friday at 5 arf... Lots of the glue joints are lose or half done. The wing tips don't fit right and are lose and unglued... Even the wings don't fit like the first one. Peices just don't fit right... Cowl dosen't fit right. After I tweak... twist... trim... push... pull... and glue... it will be fine, but this one is twice the work. I can see how some people get arfs and say JUNK! If this had been my first ARF from this company or just my first arf in general, I would not have been impressed. It opened my eyes a little bit to the quality control problems... For $109.00 you can't expect much I guess...
Old 05-06-2004, 02:32 PM
DualdudE

Old 05-06-2004, 02:34 PM
DeepSpace

My eindecker is still in one piece, and i like to keep i that way :P

But now a question, does yours fly a bad as mine? i have a 10 cc Saito some extra weight in the tail so i it wil glide a bit better. i also lifted the back of the wing with 4 mm.

Old 05-06-2004, 02:38 PM
DualdudE

Old 05-06-2004, 02:43 PM
DeepSpace

ORIGINAL: DualdudE

Lol...can't i post anywhere without you following me?!

i can talk for my self you know
Old 05-06-2004, 02:44 PM
DualdudE

Old 05-06-2004, 05:09 PM
BULL-RCU

@Chevelle

A friend of mine has EXACTLY the same plane. What engine did you have on it. He uses a Saito .65 with 13x6 master airscrew. The thing is a b#tch to fly. When you don't come in quick enough it just falls like a brick on the field.
I flew mine with a ASP 61 4 stroke... Balanced perfect... And ask Chevelle... I used to almost stop mine in the air! Slow turns... Was a great plane. Had someone on a buddy box and had them real close to the ground and they stall turned it and I couldn't pull it out... I liked mine so much I'm building another one. This time the quality of the arf isn't as good but nothing I can't fix... Hope this one flies as good as the last... I know CHevelle's flies great too...
Old 05-09-2004, 03:12 PM
BULL-RCU

Chevelle I need your help... The chrome monocote trim on the front of the plane is not sticking... Tried to heat it back down but it won't stick. I tried to peel it off but part is sticking.... Whats the best way to get it off so I can just paint it? Thanks Lee
Old 05-09-2004, 07:20 PM
Chevelle

A bad flyer? Quite the contrary. These plans fly great! At least that is my experience.

Mine is powered with just an OS40LA and it does just fine. (Here is a link to a short movie I made.) I did have to add weight in the nose because the engine is so light. Maybe a 40FX or a 46 would be better but it really doesn't need any more. Lee's with his 61 is great to watch too. Flies great with not much more than 1/2 throttle.

Lee, just strip it off. I'll recover it again when all your cutouts are made. Call me.

[link=http://www.wings-of-valor.net/uploads/E3_03_250.wmv]Eindecker Movie[/link]
Old 05-09-2004, 08:39 PM
BULL-RCU

@Chevelle

A friend of mine has EXACTLY the same plane. What engine did you have on it. He uses a Saito .65 with 13x6 master airscrew. The thing is a b#tch to fly. When you don't come in quick enough it just falls like a brick on the field.

I would guess your friends is over weight... I am using an ASP 61 four stroke witch is over powered... The 61 asp is a bored out 52 asp 4 stroke so it is lighter then the 52. If your friend is using a saito 65 it is probably over weight... mine balanced perfect with no weight added... If I were him I would take out the 65 saito and go with something lighter... I love saito motors and for sure that is over kill for power for this plane... The Saito 65 has tons more power then the asp 61. and is way heaver... plus the added weight in the tail... If it is droping fast that takes the fun out of this slow fling plane... With any head wind at all I can have mine almost come to a float in mid air...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.