Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Preflight Preflight Preflight!

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Preflight Preflight Preflight!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 06:59 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Preflight Preflight Preflight!

Just a little remider guys to make sure that you do that inspection and pre-flight of your plane if it has been in storage for awhile. I lost a Cherokee this weekend because I didn't do a good enough checkout. I was too involved with the BSing with the fellows while doing my range check to notice that the ailerons WERE REVERSED. To make matters worse, the in-cowl muffler was loose and caused the throttle to jam wide open.

I took off in a 15 mph crosswind with full right rudder, then went to 35% left aileron to keep the wings level and then BOOM, she goes hard right and through the safety barrier and missed a truck by a few inches.

We all had spotters who were great at giving the "heads up". But still, this wouldn't have happened if I had taken the time to concentrate and do the preflight correctly.

The plane was a total write-off.[&o]
Old 05-17-2004, 08:13 AM
WarpdSpazm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Preflight Preflight Preflight!

Sorry to hear you lost your plane in such a harsh manner.... You make a very good and often neglected point... I almost lost my Waco the first 3 flights due to complacency (actually believed the manual for the CG).

I must also give you credit for openly admitting fault on your part while offering the advice/reminder. Few can do that.

best of luck on your next flight.

[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 05-17-2004, 01:06 PM
frank99
My Feedback: (29)

boy o boy use my radio for a buddy box and you know reverse the controls to fit his plane work great[&:] till i flew mine took off and left left and then boom in it went to THE RIGHT[&:][X(]
Old 05-17-2004, 02:06 PM
scottrc

Thats what happened, I used this transmitter two weeks ago as a buddy box and forgot to note it that I changed the servo direction.
Old 05-17-2004, 02:16 PM
frank99
My Feedback: (29)

iam thinking about going back to golfand selling the heard[&:]
Old 05-17-2004, 08:24 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

SOrry to hear about the loss but you are right.
Preflight checks are the one thing that we can do to ensure a chance of a successful and uneventful day at the field.
Old 05-18-2004, 06:45 AM
davidmor

ORIGINAL: WarpdSpazm

Sorry to hear you lost your plane in such a harsh manner.... You make a very good and often neglected point... I almost lost my Waco the first 3 flights due to complacency (actually believed the manual for the CG).

WarpdSpazm : You bring up a good point yourself. I almost lost my Waco biplane on the second flight after maiden last year because I neglected to go over the plane to check for things that may have vibrated loose after the first flight. I used a Dubro heavy duty pull-pull on the rudder and elevator and the little aluminum cone shaped nuts that secure the horn to the rudder had vibrated loose. I tried to take off and it was very squirrley and I had to abort. I shook it off to nerves and this being my first bi-plane I knew that bi-planes can be hard to control on takeoff. So I took a deep breath and tried again. Again it was squirrley and I had to abort. Not being detered I tried a third time. This time I cartwheeled it down the runway. Luckily only a broken prop and torn off wheel pant but I decided to quit while I was ahead! That is when I got smart and went over the plane and found the problem.

The moral of the story, check out the plane after the first flight! I know I will never forget to do this again. After a year of building, I would have been crushed if I had re-kitted it because of something so easy to detect and correct.[]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27619.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	133574  
Old 05-18-2004, 09:02 AM
WarpdSpazm

That's a real beauty! Glad you didn't lose it... To clarify my point though, I was meaning NOT to out right trust tha manual.. My arf Waco said the CG is 5-5.75" back from LE..... NO WAY.... after 3 scary flights THinking it was the incedence or something.... I was helped by some RCU'rs that the plane should be 4-4.75"..... THE MANUAL IS OFF BY AN INCH!!!! after dropping in 8 ounces of lead on the nose, she's fine...but damn! My point is don't take any manuals for gospel. Question everything. Get 2 or 3 peoples thoughts and make an educate choice for yourself... My LHS owner hates that i question him... I guess his being an AMA Hall of Famer has something to do with that. anyway... i'll stop now..
Old 05-19-2004, 09:13 AM
davidmor

That's a real beauty! Glad you didn't lose it... To clarify my point though, I was meaning NOT to out right trust tha manual.. My arf Waco said the CG is 5-5.75" back from LE..... NO WAY.... after 3 scary flights THinking it was the incedence or something.... I was helped by some RCU'rs that the plane should be 4-4.75"..... THE MANUAL IS OFF BY AN INCH!!!! after dropping in 8 ounces of lead on the nose, she's fine...but damn! My point is don't take any manuals for gospel. Question everything. Get 2 or 3 peoples thoughts and make an educate choice for yourself... My LHS owner hates that i question him... I guess his being an AMA Hall of Famer has something to do with that. anyway... i'll stop now..
I understood your point. I learned the hard way not to trust the manuals blindly for anything as important as the CG. I have seen too may planes ruined by following the manual without questioning things. That is the great thing about the internet. A few quick clicks and all of my questions are usually answered by someone who has been there-done that.

I built the 1/6 scale model so I may have a different one than you but I just checked my manual and plans and it shows the CG at 4 1/2" back of the LE of the top wing. The manual doesn't say anything at all about the CG. I built mine last year and it was the laser cut kit. They may have updated the plans if you have an older kit. The CG on mine came out spot on without any added weight, and I was even so lucky that I didn't even have to re-arrange anything to get it to balance from my first radio/battery installation. That is a first for me! The plane flys beautifully and I wouldn't hesitate at all to use it as a trainer for a new student. It is that easy to fly.
Old 05-20-2004, 06:40 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I saw one of these go into the lake at the Ribcrackers field due to something coming loose.
Made a believer out of me.

ORIGINAL: davidmor

WarpdSpazm : You bring up a good point yourself. I almost lost my Waco biplane on the second flight after maiden last year because I neglected to go over the plane to check for things that may have vibrated loose after the first flight. I used a Dubro heavy duty pull-pull on the rudder and elevator and the little aluminum cone shaped nuts that secure the horn to the rudder had vibrated loose. I tried to take off and it was very squirrley and I had to abort. I shook it off to nerves and this being my first bi-plane I knew that bi-planes can be hard to control on takeoff. So I took a deep breath and tried again. Again it was squirrley and I had to abort. Not being detered I tried a third time. This time I cartwheeled it down the runway. Luckily only a broken prop and torn off wheel pant but I decided to quit while I was ahead! That is when I got smart and went over the plane and found the problem.

The moral of the story, check out the plane after the first flight! I know I will never forget to do this again. After a year of building, I would have been crushed if I had re-kitted it because of something so easy to detect and correct.[]
Old 05-21-2004, 07:17 AM
TimeFLYING
My Feedback: (3)

Im amazed that no one has said to do a pre flight at home the night before so that you can go over everything without ppl talking and messing up your train of thought, and you may see something that you needed to fix or change. Then when you get to the feild do a quick check and off you go.

I know that this wont save all planes like that listed above about checking after the maiden flight but it will help tons on a proven plane.

My .02 even tho its not worth the cooper its stamped on

Troy
Old 05-21-2004, 09:58 AM
scottrc

That was the my 1st cardinal sin I violated. I always do a complete "annual" of all my planes before the season. This plane wasn't fully checked out in the workshop, but I took it to the field anyway, and well, screwed the pooch.

ORIGINAL: TimeFLYING

Im amazed that no one has said to do a pre flight at home the night before so that you can go over everything without ppl talking and messing up your train of thought, and you may see something that you needed to fix or change. Then when you get to the feild do a quick check and off you go.

I know that this wont save all planes like that listed above about checking after the maiden flight but it will help tons on a proven plane.

My .02 even tho its not worth the cooper its stamped on

Troy
Old 05-21-2004, 11:01 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you fly more than one plane on a given transmitter, you are among are those who have lost a plane to reversed ailerons, and those who haven't YET. Unfortunately, I'm in the first group.

Why is it that the more expensive the education, the better I remember it?
Old 05-21-2004, 03:06 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree, I help double check and maiden some planes at our field, I had one that the ailerons and rudder were reversed, supposedly some has flown it before I checked it out too[X(] Dont know how! No wonder it crashed last time!