Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

tips for not crashing, or at least crash not too often!

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

tips for not crashing, or at least crash not too often!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 01:02 PM
ZoomZoom-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: tips for not crashing, or at least crash not too often!

This one applies to all pilots, from expert to novice. FIRST and FOREMOST! Right before taking off ALWAYS dial down to zero the "SUCK" knob on your transmitter!! Works for me every time
Old 06-23-2004, 04:17 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Excellent responses! I want to add one additional thing. Before takeoff and landing ensure that the departure and approach ends of the runway are clear.
Old 06-23-2004, 04:48 PM
Flyin_High
My Feedback: (1)

Make sure you know the hazards around you and in the flying space. When you are flyin, you are so focused in on your plane, your not even looking ahead. I have seen tons of crashes into trees, fences(when landing), and other hazards, and that is the exuse the pilot says. I almost clipped my wing on landing on a fence because of this.
Old 06-23-2004, 05:00 PM
Lee MRC

Nilo, there are a few words that if remembered and addhered to will prevent most crashes--- "Fly the airplane first".
Old 06-23-2004, 05:24 PM
SkyDude

I have one addition to the standard stuff like making sure you have the frequency, pre-flight control checks, engine tuning, clear runway verification and good communication with other pilots.

Make sure you have a game plan for your flght. Don't surprise yourself with trying something that you're not prepared for. Think about the maneuvers you want to fly before you start the engine and don't stray too much from that game plan. Sometimes a pilot gets "cocky" and starts trying new stuff, only to find out he's ran out of altitude or crosses a flight boundary.

Been there, done that. I once was doing a low level pass when I thought at the last second it would be cool to shoot straight up, then do a snap-roll. Well, the plane was pretty close to the flight line to start with, and then the snap-roll pointed my plane right over the flight-line boundary and it was now above me, not in front of me. I was able to turn it immediately and get it back in the flight zone, but I'm sure I crossed the line separating the pilot stations from the runway, albeit while I was about 50-100' up. No one yelled at me, but I knew I violated a cardinal rule (at least at the field I fly at) and had my tail between my legs. But I learned my lesson and don't fly "on a whim" maneuvers any more.
Old 06-23-2004, 06:08 PM
electricfan
My Feedback: (1)

-sometimes i get bored and put the sticks where i haven't put them before- this puts my plane in the wrong place and my particular plane does not have too much power to pull out so i have to be careful- just don't do anything out of the ordinary unless you know what you're gonna do.
-if you're doing a fast low pass, trim the plane so its flying level or slightly downward, this way you don't have to give it down elevator to get it straight because you might screw up and it'll crash
-if you have a dead stick and youre too far away from the runway, land in the grass. my glow plug finally failed in my second glow plane and i tried to bring it back. it didnt make it back and i almost broke it when it stalled
-jruss has a good point about staying up late- i do that all the time and i screwed up my heli