Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

search plane

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

search plane

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 10:46 PM
CRAZYRYAN
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default search plane

does anyone here has a plane that they use to search downed planes? you could put a video system thats mounted under the bottom of the plane a monitor for another guy to watch and a third guy would watch where the plane is going to help out the pilot and of course have some other guys about 2 or4 do a search sweep with radios to communitate or better idea you could have an experience rc heli pilot to search for the downed plane this seems to be a better idea than trying to guess where the hell the plane is. what do ya'll think?
Old 06-25-2004, 12:33 AM
Underaged Pilot

Default RE: search plane

no
if you live in the desert just get a truck and drive down
if you live in the forest there are to much trees
and then interferance
Old 06-25-2004, 08:09 AM
p51flyby

We have a fairly simply solution at our club. Often, someone who saw the plane go down will fly their plane in circles over that area. The searchers then walk among the treees until there's a plane generallyover their heads. It helps the searchers on the ground, because it's difficult to judge distances when walking through the heavy tree growth.
Old 06-25-2004, 12:40 PM
Henry_90lx

That or just put one of those things you put on your key ring that beebs when you whistle. That way you could get out to the general are and listen for the beeb.

Another solution is they make downed plane locators that plug into the reciver and when the plane goes down you shut off your tx and then the reciver loses the tx signal and the locator starts beebing. If you don't want to buy one they are pretty simple to make, and the plans for them are avalible on the web.

Henry
Old 06-29-2004, 01:14 AM
Mhale71

an interesting idea, although the plane would obviously have to be strong, slow and easy to fly, wich spells, a trainers, the video system would have to be a good one, such as something off blackwidowav.com , but with a very good camera, as would be needed to see with any presision all the way to the ground, however, most of the time its just better to run out and try and find it, i dont know what your dealing with, because our club is big and open so the only real places we can lose a plane is if we land it in the chicken farm, and the *****hole that lives there steals it, but that is presumeing he is an *****hole, if he isnt, he's likeley to give it back, if he is, i dont think a modified trainer would get it back.

if you presumeably crashed in an area with many trees , it would not be possible to fetch it with a camera plane, as it would have fallen from the avery, in wich the case is to do some good ol bushwalking to search for it, if it is in the canopy, yoo could get someones modified say, raptor 90 with a goooood engine to go and pick it up with a hook on a rope, or, drag it along the avery to get it back.
Old 06-30-2004, 11:19 AM
Underaged Pilot

Some clubs have Full Scale pilots
Old 07-04-2004, 08:49 PM
TPierce

We have full scale pilots that fly over the area for us. We lost a plane yesterday and 2 of our guys went up in a cub looking for it. They didnt find it.
Old 07-06-2004, 05:29 PM
Spaceclam

one of my flying mates has a right flyer 60 that he modified and installed a really good mini wireless video camera on it which he put on a gimbal controlled by 2 micro servos. he uses it for movies but when he brings it up to the field he will leave it in the shed for us in case we cant find one.
Old 07-07-2004, 08:26 AM
flyinrog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so you loose your $300 trainer and now you want to make a $5-700 trainer, thats bigger, takes 3 people to run it to look for your trainer? I think I'd look for 1/2 day or so and order another if I didnt find it...........but thats just me....Rog
Old 07-07-2004, 09:44 AM
Spaceclam

it is not just trainers we loose. not to mention, it is fun to have around and cool to show off