Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Destroyed my Tiger Moth

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Destroyed my Tiger Moth

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 11:21 AM
WRX
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Destroyed my Tiger Moth

Had I crashed it I would not have been so upset, but I was carrying the plane through the parking lot tripped and landed on the plane. SQUISH! "GO@#@#Fu%^#@#Son of a...#@$%$#^@...!!!!!!!!!!!Mother!#@!%%#$%!!!!!!!!!"
Old 07-01-2004, 11:31 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Destroyed my Tiger Moth

Yup, thats my luck too. Except I either trip over the kid, the dog, or if I survive them, I get into the house and stick the plane into the ceiling fan.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:45 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Well....not really hangar rash...how about we just call this one severe taxi-way rash!
Old 07-01-2004, 11:54 AM
ED209

Sorry to hear about your loss, but your brief yet effective description actually made me laugh out loud at work. Thankfully, my boss is an RC guy too, so he could appreciate my reaction. It reminded me of the time I was prepping my 4-Star on a really cold winter day. As I leaned over to switch on the RX, an adjustable wrench slipped out of my pocket and punched a hole clear through the wing. It was my first plane and didn't have a scratch on it to that point. It was an easy fix, but I felt like the biggest idiot and let off a stream of obscenities similar to yours all the way home. Now, whenever I'm wearing a jacket I keep the pockets zipped.
Old 07-01-2004, 01:30 PM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a post somewhere on this site (saw it over a year ago) about a guy who build a Sukoi in the bedroom. When he was finished he made sure there was a clear path throughout the house to be sure he could get it out. He was walking through the living room carrying it, tripped and fell against the couch with it. Broke it right in half as I remember.
Old 07-01-2004, 02:18 PM
Falcon Jet

Oh I can imagine your disgust, after all that work. A year ago I was building the nose section of a large P-38 from plans, had the frames just right with all the stringers. Was very meticulous and took me two days to get it just so. While I was sitting at my workbench, I picked the part up to do some light sanding on it when I dropped it. Out of pure reaction, my knees came together so it would land in my lap instead of the concrete floor, unfortunatly, I wasn't fast enough. When my knees came together I completely destroyed it. Would of been better off just letting it hit the floor! My whole neighborhood heard my commentary on how I felt about it that night!

Chris.
Old 07-01-2004, 04:39 PM
Skeletor

heheh,,, oops,,, sorry. I was sanding wing ribs flush once, the wing slipped out of my hand and when I grabbed it I tore out several ribs. [:@] While looking at what I had done, trying to get over the shock, I thought to myself, "I should have just let it hit the carpet." The good thing about building from kits is that you do know how to fix it. Good luck.
Old 07-01-2004, 04:48 PM
Falcon Jet

Know how ya feel. The first thing you think of is "I can't believe I just did that"! Then you kick the garbage can clear across the garage, re-group, and move on from there!

Chris.
Old 07-01-2004, 07:44 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There was a thread here on RCU and a guy wrote that he deadsticked a big plane into a clump of grass at the end of the runway. It only took off the gear and he went home to get some more bolts. He put his plane on the picnic table as he opened the workshop door, when a wind came out of nowhere and slammed his plane upside down to the ground. I remember that it was smashed after surviving the certain death of landing just short of the runway.
Old 07-01-2004, 09:01 PM
âûñøåå îäíî

that sucks man, but we have all damaged our plane, besides crashing. So far i have only ripped off a control horn when takeing the plane out of the car, but my time will come
Old 07-02-2004, 02:08 PM
hogbilly

Man you guys are lucky. I always seem to be the one who tries to catch the x-zacto knife as it rolls off the table
Old 07-02-2004, 02:39 PM
Falcon Jet

OOUUCCHH!!! I scramble as fast as I can to get out of the way when I drop my x-acto! Talk about sweating bullets!
Old 07-04-2004, 01:38 PM
Nickerz

Awe man! That sucks!

On your way down...you should've hand launched it! LOL! j/k

Nick
Old 07-04-2004, 04:17 PM
Vogan

I tried to catch a chefs knife a while ago, not much of a cut but learn't to just let a knife fall.

On a RC note, I punched a hole in the wing of my LT-40 with a pushrod end that I was trimming off, I cut it with the pliers and didn't hold the end, it went flying up and piecerd the covering, a little patch on the wing before it had even flown

Cheers
Vaughan
Old 07-04-2004, 04:28 PM
Falcon Jet

How's about completing the covering of a wing, looks perfect, only to have a hot ash from my cigarette fall and burn a hole threw it. I know, the hazards of smoking, but still irratating.

Chris.
Old 07-04-2004, 07:00 PM
electricfan

when the xacto knife rolls i dont try to grab it or run because theres so much stuff around me. i just sit and hold my breath and clench my toes. i have yet to bitten by it. i also keep smacking my plane on stuff but it never seems to break.
Old 07-04-2004, 10:04 PM
conradj87

lol i hit my planes all over the place, i learned through experience ot carry the tailfeathers first, one of em fell off the table as a iwas building it, i was on one of the swiveling chairs, cracked teh fuse, fixable
Old 07-04-2004, 10:23 PM
icenine

ORIGINAL: hogbilly

Man you guys are lucky. I always seem to be the one who tries to catch the x-zacto knife as it rolls off the table
try gluing a peice of scrap to the knife handle it will prevet it from rolling
Old 07-04-2004, 10:40 PM
electricfan

i think they even sell xacto knives that have a built in tab to keep it from rolling. i guess they figured out that smooth rods with a razor on the end are dangerous
Old 07-04-2004, 10:50 PM
Rebellion
My Feedback: (2)

Falcon Jet, been there with the cigarette. Also have had the X-acto roll off the bench and stick in my bare foot. Put a zip tie around 'em and cut off the excess. Stops them from rolling at least.

David E.
Old 07-05-2004, 12:04 AM
Falcon Jet

Never thought about the tie wrap around the x-acto handle, great idea!
Old 07-05-2004, 12:22 AM
Rebellion
My Feedback: (2)

Read about the X-acto tie wrap idea in one of the model mags a while back. It works !

David E.
Old 07-05-2004, 04:59 AM
KFalcon
My Feedback: (18)

Man that really sucks! I too have done more damage to my planes by moving them around than I have flying.
Old 07-05-2004, 08:51 AM
RCFlyerNYC

My X-acto knife only rolls off the table if I'm not wearing shoes. You would think I would have caught the hint but noooooooooo
Jeff
Old 07-05-2004, 09:16 AM
Devin McGrath

here is what i have done to my tiger moths ans in more than one

first one --- my dad folded the wing and i watched it spiral to the ground (fixed it and flew it again and again

second --- indoor flying one guy decided to try to cut some alerons on my top left ging with his prop lol and took a chunk out of the wing.. after the indoot flyin when i had alreay cound al the parts and fixed it and was walking back to the car the entire right side of the wing blew off when i had it up against myself to try to protect it o well though now
still second my dad and i are flying both our tiger moths in our front yard and i look away to talk to this kid next to me and looked back and was watching his and there for some reason was no response to what i was doing next thing i know there is a plane with a folded wing falling to the ground yea now i have built a new wing for that one and i have been flying it less because it isnt quite as much fun a my shocky

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.