Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

well I finally did it oops

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

well I finally did it oops

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2004, 05:33 PM
Sokhar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default well I finally did it oops

well I finally crashed a plane today been in the hobby for about a year and a bit and went from my trainer to a spad to my supersportster to a 60 sized sport plane with a 91 4 stroke in it and all self taught no flight instruction and had never crashed (but knew it was coming) well I got a 40 sized 3d profile given to me and I decided to put the servos and motor in it and try it out well I did not know the CG so I guessed on the spar (was a bit tail heavy but flyable) so I am flying around she is real twitchy (and needed a fair bit of left aileron to trim out should have clued in here LOL ) but I dealt with it well after a few flights I try to really try it out so I do a few flat spins and hammerheads and what not and I go for a knife edge kinda low but figured it was OK ( figured wrong LOL ) so I am knife edging along 15 feet up then all of a sudden the plane snaps over in a super tight right hand roll and goes in I pulled up in the last 3 feet but she hit real hard

busted the nose riped out the gear broke the leading edge broke the rudder ........... final score ground 1 plane 0

I am not one of those ppl that say ah thats not pilot error its a problem with the plane/weather/act of god even when the !QUOT!oh what happened!QUOT! people came over I said it was my fault I should not have been that low with a new (to me) twitchy plane but after I picked up the pieces I think I figured out the prob I did not built this plane it was given to me and I forgot to laterally balance it before taking it up oops LOL not too upset it was ugly and not much fun to fly as the balance was out ah well

I think I will get a fun fly ARF the extreme throws were fun to toss around just not with that plane LOL

anyways there you have it I hang my head in shame as my spotless record is over LOL
Old 07-05-2004, 12:18 PM
Skeletor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: well I finally did it oops

Welcome to the wonderful world of R/C! My first total loss was the first flight if my third season. I had many hard landings (and so many run ins with the fences that the club put up that orange plastic construction fencing at each of the runway), prior to that though. I looped into the ground after rolling inverted on a emergency landing approach. The tail and one wing were still good and a kid there wanted it for his wall so I stripped it and gave him the rest. I never have tried to knife edge a plane, I do knife edge in the turn on my landing approaches to lose altitude with-out gaining air speed. I doubt I'll ever try it that low to the ground. Sounds to me that you will be hovering soon hehehe, good luck.