Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Crash #1 and Philisophical Resolutions

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Crash #1 and Philisophical Resolutions

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2002, 10:42 PM
rplumbo
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crash #1 and Philisophical Resolutions

This was my first crash as a somewhat established pilot. I've only been flying for 4 months or so, but I'm well out of the "imminent crash danger" phase. The field I fly at has powerlines lining the road which runs N/S and borders our field. There was a slight wind E/W, so I decided I could make an approach in front of the powerlines and set her down on the grass (overconfidence). I aimed her at the powerlines, dropped to idle and did the ol' bank and yank to get her back 180 degrees to land right into the wind. Well, I dropped to idle a little too soon, because the Pizazz stalled midway through the turn and fell right out of the sky. Broken fuse, cracked sheeting and dented wings are the only damage and it's very repairable, but an ego hit nonetheless. How are we to deal with crashes? Things like this never happen on the Golf course. I say, well, "it's part of the hobby", but that still doesn't make me feel any better. The only consolation is the nagging urge to fly that is now creeping up on me. So tomorrow the CA gets uncorked and hopefully I'll be flying again. I need to hear some other crash philosophies and resolutions!
Thanks!
Reid
Old 07-29-2002, 11:26 PM
Crash_N_Burn

Sorry, Reid, that's the Pitts.

I've only lost one in ten years (...as he blesses himself) and it was my fault.

Just solo'ed and thought I'd get out and practice before everyone arrived. Just dawn, no sun...yet.

Took off and flew around a while...thought I'd try a few landings...turned on final...up comes the SUN! Blinded, inexperienced and overwhelmed, I pulled up, and I guess it did a nice loop and augured-in.

It was so far away the sound of the crash took a few seconds to reach me.....

...Sickening. Sickening.

I still hear that death-sound in my sleep but it has made me a more cautious flier. Brimmed hat. Polarized sunglasses...and I don't fly until the sun comes up!

So....They all have a death certificate pasted inside, we just are unable to find it....until, well, you know when.

Re-build, learn like we all have......ALL of us!

Best of luck, my friend.
Old 07-29-2002, 11:52 PM
RSands

My philosophy is if your afraid to break it, don't fly it. Be a twitt and leave it hanging on the wall!

Obviously, that's not any fun, and it sure as hell does nothing for your flying skills, so go push the limits, slowly and carefully. Enjoy and learn from those times when you get away with something you shouldn't have, and don't let it get you down when it does augor in. It's the price of admission, and well worth the cost.
Old 07-30-2002, 12:25 AM
rplumbo
My Feedback: (3)

It's the price of admission, and well worth the cost.
This is one of the best aphorisms I've ever heard. Thank you!
Old 07-30-2002, 05:56 PM
miamifly
My Feedback: (2)

My first, and only severe crash was with my trainer about a year ago, I had made about 10 succesful solo flights and was very confident. I took it up and was flying great, trying loops, rolls, hammerheads, anything possible with a trainer. Then, I went into a loop very high up, when I was about 3/4 of the way through the loop, (pointed straight down) I noticed I had no elevator response, I tried despreatly to level it off, but had no luck as a heard the guy next to me say "better pull up" and then a horrible crashing. Since this was my first, I didn't think to cut the throttle, from about 300 ft going straight down. The engine was burried upto the back of the crankcase, in the middle of a cirrcle of splintered balsa. From the area where the trailing edge of the wing sat forward was gone. This crash really crushed my confidence for awhile. I was afraid to try aerobatics or risk anything, but I guess I recovered, I accept the risk of flying these expensive timebombs now...
Old 07-31-2002, 12:49 AM
Crash_N_Burn

RSands, I wish you flew at my field.

I like your outlook and your attitude.

I'd hold your horizontal stabilizer while you cranked-her-up, anytime.

Please post more.
Old 07-31-2002, 12:47 PM
Unstable

Build a Pizza Box Flyer.

you will get so used to crashing that you will think thats how you are supposed to land

there is only one plane that I am afraid of crashing.
my CG super chipmunk. its only cause it flys so good and has never let me down in the months I have owned it (and the years the previous owner had it) so I dont take stupid risks with it.

but I fly it time and time again.

now my something extra.. its only a matter of time before that goes in (probably will correlate to the exact time i get the nerve to do a inverted tail touch )
Old 07-31-2002, 02:02 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Reid,
You've only been flying for 4 months, Put the pizazz back together and build something new this winter. Then build another plane the following winter (God knows we have plenty of time to build here in Minnesota!) Before long, you'll have a small squadron. Then, when you plant one, you just put the engine and radio into another and fly that one while you rebuild.
Old 07-31-2002, 02:18 PM
bgi
My Feedback: (7)

I'll admit to being a ex-member of the "Hey, I've burned up about 3 gallons of fuel with no crash yet and getting a little cocky" club. My first crash was a direct result of getting bored while practicing touch-and-goes. I was doing a series of "touch - climb 45 deg - 1/2 roll - 5/8 loop - touch again". On the last one, the climb wasn't enough. The bottom of the 5/8 loop was the end of that flight as well as the end of the firewall's attachment to the fuse.

For me, it was a feeling of, "Well, it's about time I broke something." Had her patched back up that Sunday.

You gotta get back in the saddle, padna.
Old 07-31-2002, 10:34 PM
crosswind

I've been flying for over 20 years, and have had my share of crashes. I'll guarantee a crash can teach you a lesson that'll stick with you! I really prefer a crash that I know is my fault, and that I know what happened. If it's equipment failure it can be hard to decipher the problem as the crash damage can be so bad it's hard to tell what let loose when it hit the ground as opposed to what might have failed in the air. I've known fliers that couldn't cope with a crash and quit the hobby, but most of us just feel like it was our turn in the barrel and break out the glue ... and try to remember to watch out for whatever caused the crash with a bit more vigor. It helps if you can find something about it to laugh at. That can be hard with a high dollar plane! I'll tell you this... one crash in four months for a new flier ain't too bad!
Old 07-31-2002, 10:53 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

Originally posted by Unstable
now my something extra.. its only a matter of time before that goes in (probably will correlate to the exact time i get the nerve to do a inverted tail touch )
Funny you should mention that. The only time my SE has eaten dirt was because of an inverted tail touch. Well, an attempt at one anyway

It wasn't a bad hit, as I was going slow. Broke the motor mount and knocked the vert. stab loose. The 13" wood prop did not break, which was astonishing!

She's fixed and still flying.

Go ahead and try that low inverted pass. Just don't fall victim to the peanut-gallery's "lower! lower!!" calls
Old 07-31-2002, 11:13 PM
Crash_N_Burn

....Or "Pull up, Pull up!" LOL
Old 07-31-2002, 11:17 PM
Graeme Hogg

Default Gravity Sucks real hard sometimes

Crashing is part of the fun of this hobby, it teaches us better than any near miss can, and it also lets us know how to build in weaknesses that allow us to get back in the air faster after each rebuild. These guys who give up after crashing are taking life too seriously!
Old 07-31-2002, 11:30 PM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Crashing is a huge bummer...I asked how people handle this just the other day in the Clubhouse forum (I should have asked here...you would think I know better as the one who set this site up, right?).

I dumped a new Cap 232 Aerobat electric in on the 1st flight because I used servo tape in the wing...first and last time I used servo tape..bad judgement call on my part and first time I crashed something in almost 20 years that I really liked. I took it hard and am now feeling a bit better. I'm working on a couple new planes so that helps and will purchase another Cap to replace my smashed up one. I'll have the whole saga in my review next month in the magazine section here.

Don't worry...noboby was more bummed than me but in a week or 2 it starts to pass...just get something you like more or replace/fix what you dumped.

Unstable - Oh yes...I wonder when the expiration date is on that SE? If I flew it like you do it would have expired already It is fun to watch you toss that thing around though...that Pizza box must have got you used to crashing and taken away any fear you had burying one.
Old 07-31-2002, 11:43 PM
RONSTERMONSTER

If it was not for the possibility of crashing . It might as well be a video game . It is the possiblity of crashing that sends the adrenalin ( does this place have spell check) through our vains .
I race motor cycles before getting into this hobby and believe me cashing a plane hurts the pocket book and the ego but not bones . Unless you crash into your self . And besides if it was easy everyone would do it . Get back on that horse and go for a ride .
Ron
Old 08-01-2002, 03:43 AM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

Default heh.

Originally posted by Crash_N_Burn
....Or "Pull up, Pull up!" LOL
Fell for that one a few years back. Full-throttle inverted pass with an OPS-powered Gremlin.
Followed by full-back-stick.
Right into the swamp.

eeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

**FUMP**

<column of water>

I retrieved the fuse and fins, but the wing and radio gear ate it.
Muddy Water Isn't Compressible.

I just gave the old fuse and a couple of new wingsets away to a clubmate a few weeks back. Good luck to him.
Old 08-02-2002, 11:24 PM
roni82000

man I remember when i soloed I went through two PT-40's in six months ! hey I guess its all part of the learning curve. yeah glue it back together or buy a new one just remember to keep having fun.