Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

The giant 8 engine B-52 has chrashed [Video]

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

The giant 8 engine B-52 has chrashed [Video]

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 02:06 AM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The giant 8 engine B-52 has chrashed [Video]

1.) Well, I had to look at the video about ten times. I could not tell which way the plane was banked just prior to the crash. He had one second and one chance to take action.

2.) I was not at all impressed with the test flight video. The plane never humped up and got to a groovy speed. It appeared to have a heavy wing or some lateral stability problem the entire flight.

3.) The day of the crash, the conditions did not appear to be very favorable. It appears to be gusty and relatively overcast and dark.

4.) And yes, the announcer was a distraction and I believe too close to the pilots.

5.) He had a no-win situation after take off. Make a tight turn to keep the plane in close and he risks a stall. Make a broad flat turn to keep the lift vector vertical and he finds the plane so far away on downwind that it is difficult to see.

6.) Add to the above list the likelyhood of "go fever" the day of the airshow. A team of people made the bad decision to fly.

Of course he said it was pilot error. You can't very well go in and say " yes , we flew a laterally unstable plane with marginal control at a crowded public event".

Based on what I have seen and read, I would give the pilot 1/3 responsiblity for the loss of control. But since he must have been part of the decision to fly, I would credit him with another 1/3.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:22 PM
Shortymet55

That sucks, but I think it is hilarous how the announcer dud was like do u see the planes great profile in the sky. Then silence thin a few holy craps then the crash.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:14 PM
chris77
My Feedback: (1)

Even the best pilots crash because of their mistakes, a good pilot just makes fewer mistakes. Flying in too much wind or being distracted by something or someone else is pilot error. I.E too much wind = don't fly, someone talking to you while your flying = don't pay attention to him and don't answer, your not being rude your flying a potenially dangerous airplane.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:55 PM
Dago Red
My Feedback: (11)

at least he admitted it was pilot error rather than going "uh uh, it was the wing, and ya, things just happened.
Old 03-04-2005, 05:58 PM
chris77

My point exactly dago red, I have read posts that said it could not have been his fault because he's a good pilot. but all my crashes so far have been my fault even when my reciever batt went dead because i flew all day long and never checked them, luckly i ran out of fuel 10 seconds before the batt went dead.
Old 03-05-2005, 07:40 PM
Dago Red
My Feedback: (11)

Ill admit ive screwed up as well. However, most of the time its radio problems i get, but when those inverted flybys go wrong, or the plane structure becomes over stressed, its all my fault, and im not afraid to admit it, a pliot that is willing to admit his mistakes is better than the pilot blaming it on a flase reason i believe.
Old 04-25-2005, 02:17 PM
Cummins

Big Buff Mk II is on its way!!!!!!!!!!!1
Old 04-25-2005, 04:09 PM
sweetpea01
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope the Big Buff 2 is more like an H model (at least in regards to the Rudder)color and ECM antennas.

I think it flew just like a Buff does! (since I have flown in one on many occasions). Keep it scale.

As for the comments above........All modern jets are inherently unstable. The Buff isn't so much unstable as it was desigend to fly High, Slow, and carry tons of bombs and fuel!
Old 05-15-2005, 05:27 PM
CF-FZG

ORIGINAL: Cummins

Sorry to report, but on it's maiden it crashed during takeoff.

There are several unconfirmed rumours about why, but we're waiting for the crash report.

Mark.
Old 05-15-2005, 05:54 PM
CrashPro

heck with the report......wheres the VIDEO?
Old 05-15-2005, 06:22 PM
RC-Captain

Whilst
Old 05-16-2005, 01:14 AM
Cummins

IT CRASHED ON ITS MAIDEN!!!????

I was hoping I could come and see it at the Duxeford Large Aircraft meeting in July.

RIP: Phoenix
Long Live the Phoenix.
May you rest in peace.
Old 05-16-2005, 01:52 AM
volkan

see this
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/B52_...2964045/tm.htm

video at http://www.rc-expertise.com/wrap.php.../b52_crash.htm
Old 05-18-2005, 12:38 AM
GRANT ED

ORIGINAL: CF-FZG

ORIGINAL: Cummins

Sorry to report, but on it's maiden it crashed during takeoff.

There are several unconfirmed rumours about why, but we're waiting for the crash report.

Mark.
Are you saying that the replacement B-52 crashed as well??
Last I heard they had only just started contruction of the new one.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:12 AM
Blighty Chris

Got some bad news guys.The one he built to replace this one has gone in too.[X(]
Old 05-20-2005, 10:01 AM
McFlyboy

The latest word is a structural failure on rotation, but thats all I got at the mo.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:44 PM
Kevin R

The builder of the model recently completed a replacement, identical model, and sadly crashed that one too, about 3 weeks ago. No details as yet
Old 05-24-2005, 04:52 PM
volkan

guys........
just read this:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/B52_...2964045/tm.htm

It has crashed, that has been confermed.
The details are get to be 'published' said Sara
from wren
Old 05-27-2005, 12:48 AM
catboater
My Feedback: (51)

ORIGINAL: Falcon Jet

I'm fairly certain that was the crash that sweetpea01 was referring to, it's the one that came immediately to mind when I read his post. The pilot was known for hot dogging and was trying to impress some VIP (I think it was a General) onboard during that flight at an airshow. What got him was too large of a bank with not enough of airspeed and definately not enough altitude. It's too bad he killed everyone onboard trying to be a show off. Thanks for the video.

Chris.
First let me say that I was just at Joe Nall and I thought the planes I saw there were awesome. And they were.
However, this magnificent B-52 was the MOST awesome model I've ever seen! My sympathy to the team for their loss.
As for the B-52 crash at Farchild back in 91, The pilot was known for hotdogging and had been warned to knock it off. They had been practicing for an air show and were on final to land when they were told to go around for some reason. Instead of throttling up and flying straight the pilot tried to show off and made a hard left turn. The left wing stalled, then clipped some power lines and augered in. It was horrifying. In the video you could see the little spoileron on the right wing go straight up and the rudder go hard right but it was too late.
Old 06-05-2005, 12:44 PM
S E Repton

Does anyone have any more news as to the cause or extent of the damage of the crash?

There still isn't any official word on either Gordons or Wrens website.

Bubba
Old 06-23-2005, 06:13 PM
Matthew153

This is an old quote but I just had to respond. I'm a maintainer on B-52H's at Barksdale. I know a little bit about the B-52 and its history. Expecially since I'm a hydraulic troop and the spoilers are my area of expertise. The B-52 in all of its existance has never had ailerons. There is a reason for this. Because the wings are at a large angle of attack and are so flexible (12ft in either direction) ailerons would litterally twist the wings to the point that they would no longer be usefull. And something with a gross weight of over 500,000 lbs, this SOB isn't going to manuver all that well. That is why they had to put spoilers on the top of the wing just a little aft of the center of the wing. Spoiler does nothing but push the respective wing down. So anyone who thinks there were actually ailerons on a b-52 at any point in history, check your facts.

ORIGINAL: superflea

ORIGINAL: Dago Red

This B-52 had ailerons added to it after the first few flights, the spoilers wernt enough for it.

none of the full scale B52s i ever worked on had ailerons and i worked on B52Hs at minot AFB you know the H model the most current model out there.

but if they were smart about it i would hope that these people would have deviated from pure scale and added elevons to it to help roll response otherwise it would have taken 100 mph to maintain roll control. i would think that with spoilers you would lose roll authority long before you reach the true stall speed. i dont know for sure but it seems like you would any way
Old 06-24-2005, 02:00 PM
bruce88123

bigbubba- I read a report where the pilot reported the cause was due to pilot error and disorientation aggrivated by the overcast that day. It's been a while since I saw it but I recall that the site was rather offical in nature. The plane was virtually a total loss, only a few components survived. Replacement plane in process, status unknown.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:09 PM
bruce88123

Matthew153 - The purpose of a spoiler in full scale aircraft is not to "push down" on a wing as musc as it is to "spoil" the lift of the airfoil and let gravity and the lift of the oppisite wing roll the plane. Sure, there is some downward push but as I said that is not the primary function. And when they are deflected to full, they also become a brake of sorts although not the best.