Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Extra 300 goes in/Video

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Extra 300 goes in/Video

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2004, 08:47 PM
CrashPro
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extra 300 goes in/Video

As you can see in the video....he tries to steer plane up the runway but it torques to the left, he backs off the throttle for a second but decides he can take off across runway, which he does,but plane banks to the left and goes in. Post mortem we find the aileron trim was all the way to the left. He figures he accidently bumped it and didn't know.[:@]

sorry.....video gone
Old 09-05-2004, 09:16 PM
Fletch124
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: Extra 300 goes in/Video

looks like a radio hit it also looks like he didn't have his antenna on the transmiter extended
Old 09-05-2004, 09:48 PM
CrashPro

Definately not a radio hit, only 3 other transmitters there at the time, all different frequencies,and we were all sitting there watching. You may be right about the antenna, however, he range checked the plane at twice the distance the plane was from him when it crashed, range checked ok.
Old 09-06-2004, 12:42 AM
Fletch124
My Feedback: (7)

humm them i'm guessing either servo failure or a electical connection got unplugged
Old 09-06-2004, 03:16 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Radio hit? No. Trim problem? No. Servo failure? No. Pilot error? Most definitely.

When you look at the video you will see the plane roll to the right first, that shows the plane's controls were working. When he horsed it off the ground with insufficient air speed he stalled it, had it been higher up you would have seen the full spin develop before impact.

Classic stall (and almost) spin.

Bill.
Old 09-06-2004, 07:27 AM
CrashPro

Yes William, definately was pilot error. (We were all being nice to the ol' gentleman by agreeing it was his trim setting) He doesn't have much experience, not at all ready for a plane like that.
Old 09-06-2004, 07:53 AM
kennyandannie
My Feedback: (2)

OUCH!!
Did anybody check for reversed ailerons? The airspeed looked high enough for an Extra, however I could be wrong. Even with the trim all the way to the left, the plane will recover if you put in the right input.
The antenna being half way down isn't an issue, the plane wasn't far enough away for that to be a problem.

Sorry about the loss, I hate to see that no matter what the cause.

Kenny
Old 09-06-2004, 08:01 AM
volkan

it does look like reversed ailerons, as thats happened at my club alot!
Old 09-06-2004, 10:26 AM
ifixairplanes
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that is the seagull models extra 300, from my experience with that plane, its heavy, and dosnt like to fly slow. He made it get airborne before it wanted to, tip stalled and dorked it. I like how he was holding like a hurt baby at the end though, lol.

sean
Old 09-06-2004, 10:52 AM
TOPGUNNER

PILOT ERROR!!! definitely...........

he just was'nt ready to fly that day.

The Signs..
#1_The Half way Pulled out Antenna "Obviously was'nt thinking strait or was rushing himself"
#2_Watch the Rudder On take off, you can see the rudder go full left... Why??or is that just me"Did he forget The Controls?"
#3_The Silence Of The Pilot told me... "He accepted that he messed up..."
Old 09-06-2004, 01:24 PM
CrashPro

ORIGINAL: ifixairplanes

that is the seagull models extra 300, from my experience with that plane, its heavy, and dosnt like to fly slow. He made it get airborne before it wanted to, tip stalled and dorked it. I like how he was holding like a hurt baby at the end though, lol.

sean
Actually, it was a Graupner Extra 300,..but flying characteristics are probably about the same.

And yes, checked ailerons before flight, all throws were correct. Too much plane, not enough experience, down it'll go every time.
Old 09-06-2004, 02:26 PM
Righty

#1_The Half way Pulled out Antenna "Obviously was'nt thinking strait or was rushing himself"
How do you know that... the camera moved off him and to the crash, when he crashed. he could have put the antenna down during that time, And as CrashPro said the man dd a range check of more then twice that distance when he was prepping.
Old 09-06-2004, 07:01 PM
kennyandannie

CrashPro,
The aileron thing was just a thought, I've seen it happen. You are probably right about too much plane, too soon. I saw the speed on the video, it didn't look too slow for a safe take-off.
But what do I know? I fly with so much power I don't have that problem.

Please give the ol'gent my regards and a possible recommendation of a good 2nd plane.
A nice 4-Star 60 is a good move up from the trainer stage. Although my 2nd plane was a Super Chipmunk, so I shouldn't talk.

See ya,
Kenny
Old 09-06-2004, 07:06 PM
ifixairplanes
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i beleive that the graupner and the seagull are one in the same, if not then the 2 company have the exact same trim scheme! Either way, it crashed

sean
Old 09-06-2004, 07:36 PM
Live Wire

Next he will be banned from flying, Poor old fart!! I guess I am not the only one.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:23 PM
TOPGUNNER

Next he will be banned from flying, Poor old fart!!
LOL!
Old 09-06-2004, 09:03 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

That's was the same scene that is repeated at my field week after week, older flyers flying planes way beyond their ability. Plane is to hot for reflexes that are to slow. Sucks to get old, I'm not looking forward to it. I just hope I have the sense to now when to quit flying planes I can't handle anymore
Old 09-06-2004, 09:18 PM
fiveoboy01
My Feedback: (3)

I've seen it too a few times. Once in a while an older gent will get a funfly .40 size plane, and it's usually so twitchy that it ends up in a very bumpy landing or a crash. We have one older guy at our club and he is a very good pilot. He recently got a large Ultimate bipe done, and he flies it well. He isn't into 3D stuff but does many pattern maneuvers very well.

I hope I don't lose my reflexes too bad when I go grey...
Old 09-06-2004, 09:53 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: William Robison

Radio hit? No. Trim problem? No. Servo failure? No. Pilot error? Most definitely.

When you look at the video you will see the plane roll to the right first, that shows the plane's controls were working. When he horsed it off the ground with insufficient air speed he stalled it, had it been higher up you would have seen the full spin develop before impact.

Classic stall (and almost) spin.

Bill.

classic yank and bank.
Old 09-06-2004, 10:39 PM
spyder0069

Yep. Stalled it. I've done it years ago learning. Probably was still pulling full back on the elevator. Might have saved it with some rudder after takeoff instead of stalling the aileron. Also the engine sounded pretty "relaxed" for a aerobatic plane. Could be wrong but my fun fly's sound like they are ready to rip the wings off at wide open. I like low pitch props and that could be a factor. If he was running a high pitch prop it may not have been in its powerband yet. Once every two weeks I see an older guy put one into the ground. Half the time its right after take off or they have a really scary flight where I am looking for cover and then finally crash. Many of these guys have been with the club for years and years and I can't figure out how they continue to try to fly without a buddy box. I am new to the club but have 3 years of flying behind me. I just help them go pick up the pieces. On the other hand we have a older guy with that new Hanger Nine 46% Ultimate Biplane and he flies the pants off of most people I have seen.
Old 09-07-2004, 04:37 AM
antslake

That was pilot error, without a doubt. The way I saw it he just froze when the plane didn't go the right way down the runway, and he gunned it, didn't know what he was doing, and either tip stalled it, or just flat out didn't turn back right.
Or he pulled up to hard with not enough airspeed, and snapped it, doind a crosswind take-off didn't help his cause either.
There was a feeling of helplessness judging by the way he didn't cut the throttle before dumping it.

Oh well, sad day, we all have em.
Old 09-07-2004, 05:32 AM
kennyandannie

Being that the ailerons weren't reversed, and the trim was in full left, you have to agree that the pilot probably set the stick come to center and it dawned on him too late why the plane kept banking left.
I have moved my trim by mistake, in picking up my radio at a pattern contest, had full left trim, and took off that way. I was able to recover and re-trim immediately, however I got a 3 and a 5 from the judges on my take-off. It should have been Zero's.
I have since moved to a 9C, it won't happen again.

Kenny
Old 09-07-2004, 07:49 AM
NOVAflier
My Feedback: (21)

Looks like a snap to me. Too much elevator. Why was he taking off across the runway anyway?

Looks like he ran out of runway, jumped on the elevator thinking he was going to hit something and it snapped.

Someone should remind him why the runway is as long as it is...