Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Funtana S40 crash

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Funtana S40 crash

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 06:50 AM
StarQuest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Funtana S40 crash

Well it was, without doubt, a pilot error. I was standing too close to a "telephone post" at the school yard that we fly, comming in for a close fly-by and got hit by a wind gust as the plane was 40ft in front and it rolled right. By the time I ducked and got behind it I caught the poles "guide wire" with the left wing..DOH!!! [:@]
BUT.....three days later, I pulled it out of the trash can and rebuilded it , and have 6 filghts until I lost the right Elevator as I came out of an inverted flatspin. Got it back on the ground(thanks to my Buddy) at the cost of the landing gear. So I built a new "solid" Elevator and will be testing again this weekend.
I really love the plane so it's worth the hours of repair.

I video tapped the repair, but I'll take pix of the finish soon.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48950.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	173995  
Old 09-16-2004, 02:08 PM
wingman2005

Default RE: Funtana S40 crash

personally that looks like it would be a really painful experience putting a Funtana into a guide wire, but i think that it would defintiely be reapirable.....

just as a question.....why would you be flying in a school yard? do you not have a flying field nearby that you could have gone to to avoid the whole situation?[:@]
Old 09-17-2004, 02:04 AM
StarQuest

Default RE: Funtana S40 crash

Yes there is an AMA field near by, but the people that fly there are kinda anal, so we "outlaw" at the school. Some of the guys that fly at the AMA field also fly at the school for the same reason. There is plenty of room for safe flying, but I didn't prepare by moving to the middle of the field after takeoff. I won't make that mistake again.
BTW I'm using a Surpass 70(first model) w/ 14-4 wood prop, what size prop are you using?