Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Good- Bad Luck @ de feild

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Good- Bad Luck @ de feild

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2002, 04:35 PM
Low Wing
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good- Bad Luck @ de feild

freak'n 90-plus Saturday blue's...230L Extra...eight months in moth balls...tweaked it out...first flight for me...started the 3.2 brisson(with some trouble keep reading) got it going...blood pumping(this ain't yer Grandma's ride)...one more control check(I knew there was a good chance I had to much throw) I took off and it was fishy and even after I trimmed it out it was still sucking...I flew it for about 6 minute's...right turns were almost a crash every time...I was pissed that this motor didn't seem to have enough power...the control set-up was not to be toyed with...so I began a one shot landing(one wrong turn on a fly- by and it could be fatal)...I got down pretty good, lost air speed short of the run -way(like I was fricking warned by everybody) she dropped that last 6 feet flat like a rock...Ok' the good new's is not to bad...The cowl is with my buddy Greg getting a new paint and fiber glass job...the landing gear was torn off(It had plastic screws ) a little epoxy and a prop and some mono-coat on the wings(two hole's from the gear)...stupid news...there was a plug on the fuel line that was supposed to be pulled out...that explains the power problem...the tank was almost empty and all sucked in...the electric ignition was the only thing keeping the motor going...I'll be back next week for revenge...
Old 08-04-2002, 10:35 PM
w4kv
My Feedback: (2)

Default Good- Bad Luck @ de feild

I had an experience only an Irishman could have. Plane came in quite hot, smacked into some weeds at the end of the runway. Only (apparent) damage was a broken prop. Replaced the prop. While refueling for another go-around, fuel starts dripping out of the tank compartment. Pulled the radio, then the tank. Fuel line was cut by the brass tubes going into the tank. Pack up and go home.

Later:
Pulled out Henry Higley's "Mostly Mounting" book. Changed the direction of the tank tubes. Wrapped extra fuel line around the tank as described. Pretty day--No bench test--Just off to the field. Start her up. Runs rough. Still a pretty day--maybe it will be better in the air. Take-off: no revs--eat weeds--no damage. Fiddle with mixture for 2 hours. Starts raining. Go home. Figure that the engine is messed.

Still later:
Go to hobby shop where engine was purchased. Ask them to check out the engine. Get called--"Where did you come up with this goof-ball fuel line setup? We shortened the line, and it runs great." "From Higley's book!" "Did you check it out?" Blush

Finally:
Runs well. Takes off. Doesn't cut out. Haven't done hot weed landing test yet . Will post pictures when I do.
Old 08-05-2002, 04:00 AM
Low Wing
My Feedback: (1)

Default Fly In Your Eye

Yeah...sometime's it's the little things that get us...