Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Shot Down

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 08:33 PM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Shot Down

Do you guys deliberately miss the point or what? If there are people at the field who can't afford to replace your *VERY* expensive airplanes, then you *DON'T HAVE TO* find a new place to fly. But it would be in your best interest if you think one of us low income people might shoot you down and not be able to compensate you.

I was just putting the 'shoe on the other foot' and saying since they can't afford to shoot down the plane, maybe they should be the one to find another field to fly at or have an appointed time... Works both ways right? From a safety aspect, if there's enough of these 'honest mistakes' happening then maybe the club needs to appoint a better time for these fliers so that other people aren't at as much risk... Like in the quote, maybe it would be in their 'best interest' to find a better time to fly. As i said, works both ways..
Old 03-19-2005, 08:37 PM
RC-Captain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed
Old 03-19-2005, 09:23 PM
CafeenMan

Well I'm looking at it from a standpoint of things happening other than being shot down. For example, poor lil ol' I with my ghetto plane (which is superbly built and maintainted, by the way) am on a different frequency than Joe Jet Jock with his $15,000 exact scale F-15 with every visible detail in place.

I start up my engine with a brand new propeller on it which has been balanced and thoroughly checked for any visible damage. OH MY GOSH!!!!!! The prop blade just flew off and sailed straight through Joe's cockpit not only destroying every detail in it, but causing parts to be sucked into his warmed up turbine engine which causes it to explode and burns down the flight line - half of which is $10K or more jets, 1/4 is $1,200 and up helis and the rest is a roped off area for low income people. Every plane is destroyed and multiple injuries are sustained.

In my panic to get a fire extinguisher from my car, I accidentally release the parking brake causing my car to roll through the club house and onward into a pond killing the last known of a highly endangered species of alligator.

I've just had a really bad day and caused one for lots of other people as well.

Fortunately, I carry Allstate (TM) Renter's insurance. Joe Jet Jock hands me his cell phone (I can't afford my own you know) and demands that I call Allstate - RIGHT NOW!

Allstate, being a world class insurance carrier, sends an agent to the site straight away to assess the damage. He takes copius notes and walks around saying, "hmm..." a lot. About an hour later he turns to me and says, "I have bad news for you."

Apparently I have only $58K of coverage which barely pays for the club house which the Jet Jocks adorned last month with authentic Chuck Yeager memorabilia acquired through a Christie's auction and other sources. It also has a full bar, disco lounge, 5,000 watt sound system and a live band 24/7.

In the mean time, I have no car, the club lost its mascot (and all the babies in its womb - don't know which of the jet guys got our gator pregnant but there's a healthy pot for the correct guess), I still owe for 16 jets, 8 helis and 27 ghetto planes + thousands of dollars in flight line equipment and possible hundreds of thousands or more in medical care for those with slow reflexes.

Fortunately, I'm known within my community to be a responsible person so my income of $15K/year and expenses of a mere $14,700/year will allow me to easily pay off all that debt in a time frame that is satisfactory to all.

But at least I didn't irresponsibly turn on my radio when I didn't have the pin!
Old 03-19-2005, 09:45 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

From your posts it looks like you came up with a new hobby while you were laid up.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:48 PM
CafeenMan

you lost me
Old 03-19-2005, 09:53 PM
mr_matt

Great story teller.

I am cursed. I have to go to work everyday in order to meet my obligations and I just cannot find the time to weave these tall tales.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:58 PM
CafeenMan

I see. Well, I'm back at work now. If you're interested, I work in a crisis stabilization unit. That's where they take people involunatarily if they are considered to a threat. Often these people are on drugs, alcohol and very angry. It's a dangerous but interesting job. Fortunately, I'm stronger now than ever with all the screws and pins in my arm.
Old 03-19-2005, 10:06 PM
mr_matt

ORIGINAL: CafeenMan

If you're interested

Oh very!
Old 03-19-2005, 10:45 PM
RC-Captain

You know , there is a saying called MURPHY'S LAW. ( WHAT CAN HAPPEN WILL HAPPEN) . When that Tsunami hit the coast of all of those little countries, would you believe there was a group of people preparing for such a rare event ? The only problem was they reacted just a little bit to slow to actually make a difference for thousands of lives.

Compare your jet crashing to the Tsunami and don't wait to long to react in preventing it crashing.