Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Too close for comfort

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Too close for comfort

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2002, 09:41 AM
Mustang51
My Feedback: (25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too close for comfort

I was at a warbird meet last year. I'm just standing there minding my own business prepping my P47 for a flight, right at the flight line ( at the time, I was standing right at the rudder). I hear a plane over my head so I look up. This damn thing was coming right down on top of me. Every body scatters, I do a running diving, tuck & roll (I was quite sure this thing was going to hit me in the back as I dove, that's how close I thought it was).
I was awarded a 10 for execution, but suffered points in artistic interpretation(LOL).
Had this thing hit my Jug... Iwould have been PISSED! Would'nt you? Wounds and broken limbs\back heal, right? Guys in wheelchairs can fly R|C right? But Oh GOD... had it hit my baby!
The worst part about it was, that this was a "Warbird" meet. This is a disguised hangar 9 cub.

-Mustang51
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20778_2547.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	13107  
Old 08-10-2002, 01:00 PM
drewhosick

That was damn close if you we're right with your plane. I take it that is your plane beside the cub?
Old 08-10-2002, 02:01 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Guys in wheelchairs CAN FLY, and well at that.

How can he crash a cub, it doenst fly fast. Must be a beginner???
I would have made him replace whatever was broken. If I didnt take it out of his hide!
Old 08-10-2002, 06:16 PM
Mustang51

That picture was not staged... that's where it crashed, right in front of my jug.
This guy was a beginner. I don't think beginners should be flying at highly attended meets to begin with. It's hard enough to fly these things. Add in a full flight line with a busy sky, and a thousand + spectators? A beginner is asking for a disaster.

-Mustang51
Old 08-10-2002, 10:35 PM
vegas mossie

Can you put up more pictures of the P-47? Would like to see the whole thing. Thanks Loren
Old 09-05-2002, 05:31 AM
sukhoipilot
My Feedback: (4)

Oh it is Real and it was VERY VERY close I can tell you this because I was 5 feet away and didnt know if I should run or Tackel mustang51 (Good Friend).

For the person that wanted pics heres a few.

Name:	24552_3024.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	13108  
Old 09-05-2002, 05:32 AM
sukhoipilot

another

Name:	24555_3024.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	13109  
Old 09-05-2002, 07:50 AM
vegas mossie

Man that is a nice looking plane! Is it patterned after a real P-47, or did you make your own up? Sure looks good. Thanks Loren
Old 09-05-2002, 09:31 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

So what was the disposition of the cub pilot?
Old 09-05-2002, 09:47 AM
vinnie
My Feedback: (1)

WOW! Is that great weathered look artistic or actual? Fantastic job! That Cub pilot is lucky to be alive
Old 09-05-2002, 11:06 AM
Mustang51

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the "non-replies" but my computer has been "down" and just had to re format... what a drag.
Sukoipilot, thanks for posting the pics for Loren...good shots.
(How's my 190 cockpit comming? Plane is in 1st. paint. Test fly in 2 weeks. Please tell Rich... the sooner the better (set-up thing), not trying to rush)

Thanks for the kind words Vegas, and Vinnie. Took alot of time on her. 95% of the weathering was intentionally done with airbrush, sandpaper, and steel wool. The other 5% is from never EVER, clean a warbird. Leave the mud from wet fields on them, and just "blow" the dust off of them.

I think the cub pilot was feeling a little sheapish. How often do you crash in the pits, almost killing people and comming close to destroying other peoples property with an illegal plane at a sanctioned meet.

-Mustang51
Old 09-05-2002, 06:19 PM
sukhoipilot

No Problem Dave, To answer 1 un-answered question yes that is an actual sceme off a real warbird, Dave the guages are in the works so the pit doesnt have far till completion, when the 190 is done will you be able to remove the tub or will it be Permenant? I cant guarantee he will make your deadline but hey you cant rush perfection!
Old 09-06-2002, 12:35 AM
Mustang51

Rgr that Chris.
I was in the middle of an edit to answer the other question about the 47 when I lost my server. Sukoipilot is right. "Daddy Rabbit" flew with the 366th fg out of y29 in Belgium, late "44". In my research of her, I was put in touch with the fighter group. upon seeing pics of the plane, the secretary of the 366 invited me to their reunion a few years back.
These guys are in their late 70s to early 80s. When they saw her from across the room, they all made a bee line to her, knocking one another out of the way, pushing and shoving to get to the jug, not my jug, their jug... for that day it was theirs. They recognized her as their own, the colors, the markings.
I was incredibly fortunate to meet the crew chief, and two or three pilots who actually flew missions in her.( How many modelers can say that, about their subjects?)
The crew chief had his photo album with him and I was able to take pictures of his pictures. Turns out, as you can see in the picture Sukoipilot posted, the nose art was actually painted in "mirror" on the right hand side.
Meeting these men was truly one of the highlights of my life, I'll never forget it.

Chris... Cockpit tub will be removable, thanks.

-Mustang51
Old 09-13-2002, 05:00 AM
KCFlyBoy
My Feedback: (12)

great looking P47