Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

What to do after a crash?

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

What to do after a crash?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2002, 10:22 PM
recon-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do after a crash?

I just had my first real crash last week and just got around to getting all the equiptment out of it. What should I do to check all of the radio equiptment to see if there is any (internal) damage before I put it into another plane? With the engine, there is dirt all over it and I will use some ether to clean that off. There is dirt in the carb, should I take off the carb and clean it with ether as well?

Details of the crash: I was flying in the evening with my sun glasses on and the sun went behind some thick clouds. I was coming out of a hammer head when my plane went black and I got disoriented.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20983_5074.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	13262  
Old 08-12-2002, 01:02 AM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Man...you scattered that one...

Too bad about the crash...now for the salvage...
I would take the carb apart, and clean it with fuel, a cleaner like 409, rubbing alcohol, or kerosine.
I use a mixture of kerosine and Magic Mystery Oil to rinse out the motor...for cleaning, or for storage.

As for the radio...I never re-use a switch or a battery pack...especially after a crash like that.
They're too cheap to replace...rather than risk another crash, should they fail.

I put red stickers on surviving servos, to I.D. them for use as throttle, or rudder servos only. I always use new servos for elevator and ailerons. If you have some stripped servos...and the mounting flanges aren't broken off....you can get replacement gears for them.

As for the reciever....you can give it a "bench test". Plug in a good battery, and fill all the channel slots with servos. Get it up and going and tap on the reciever with a pencil....if there is no glitching...the reciever "may" be OK. I'll run the Questionable reciever for a few flights in a "thrasher" a few times and see if it is ok.

The older radio stuff ends up in the least "lovable" planes....all new, pride-and joy planes get a new flight pack....bottom line.
Dave.
Old 08-12-2002, 03:33 PM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

throw away all the wood bits of planes, i used to keep tails and bits of wings, incase i ever needed extra bits. i threw away 3 1/2 wings last night from my tiny shed.
but.... you MUST! tear a little bit of film off, or save a smashed bit of balsa that you can look back on in a few years and remember that plane. i have them hanging over the shed door. stickers from wings, canopys, ect.
sad arnt i LOL
Old 08-12-2002, 07:38 PM
Unstable

Check inside the engine. if dirt got through the carb and into the crank case you should strip the entire engine down.

all it takes is a little crud to get in a bearing to ruin it.

also check and double check that the crankshaft isnt bent.

AFTER cleaning the engine mount it on a test bed and rotate the crank (taking the glow plug out so it rotates freely)

make sure there is no wooble in the crank at all... then bench run it with a balanced prop to check for any odd vibration.

as for the RX and servos.. put each servo on a RX on the bench and move them through the full range. while doing this hold the arm and feel for any grinding or slipping. if you feel anything that servo needs repair.

to check the RX bench test is like Flyboy Dave says but keep it on for a full battery charge to make sure there is no intermitent problem

everything else (control horns, linkage, control rods, etc) toss them.. they are too cheap to risk having a cracked one in a good plane.

always save some scap wood just for minor patches, spacers, etc. but dont trust it with anything under stress.

have fun building your new plane and hope you have more luck with it.
Old 08-12-2002, 10:30 PM
recon-RCU

but.... you MUST! tear a little bit of film off, or save a smashed bit of balsa that you can look back on in a few years and remember that plane. i have them hanging over the shed door. stickers from wings, canopys, ect.
sad arnt i LOL
LOL, I have a little peice of the front of the fuse that says the name of the plane hanging in my garage now.

All I am keeping from the wreck is some screws to add to my collection. The engine is all cleaned up waiting for its new home...
Old 08-13-2002, 01:05 AM
Flyboy Dave

Default Is it skill....or "Dumb-Luck" ?

Once you master the technique of the "drill-em-straight-in" crash, like I have starting up a tail collection is easy.

Try to avoid the "inverted tail-spin flop", pulling up....in an inverted low pass, and extensive "cart-wheeling". These can be very destructive on the tail feathers.

So remember....if your gonna pack one in..."pack it straight in".

Name:	21220_5977.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	13263  
Old 08-13-2002, 03:07 AM
recon-RCU

LOL
Old 08-13-2002, 03:10 AM
arjunchopra

Follow all the instructions as per above .;

Then , if u are married , throw the Wooden & Plastic debris of the crashed plane , otherwise wife will throw it out with u in tow .

Get the confidence back and buy a new plane .

Couldn't get simplet than that .

LOL .

Cheers.

Arjun
Old 08-13-2002, 04:42 AM
Flyboy Dave

Default perfection...on impact....

I don't know about you.....but I think this spinner is pretty well "munched". :stupid: (lol)

The benefits of the "one-point" landing couldn't be clearer. Sure, everyone enjoys that "crunch sound" now and then, and the hidden snickering ...but let's face it....it's much better to have something to show for that $400. crunch. ( Is that why my EX doesn't even call anymore ?)

So next time....when you're thinking about plowing it in, or scattering, mulching, splattering, sifting, scredding...or some other nifty technique comes to mind....remember the "China Syndrome"....works for me...

Name:	21278_5977.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	13264  
Old 08-13-2002, 03:12 PM
Cactus.

love the trophys LOL
i did forget to say i add the details of the crash to the bits, like why, reminds me not to cause that again
Old 04-16-2003, 12:44 AM
esacjack

Default curiousity / Trainers

How many of you whom have been flying for quite some time, still have your very first trainer? And what condition is it? How many times have you planted it?

Old 04-16-2003, 04:48 AM
Flyboy Dave

1- no
2- bad
3- too many

Old 04-16-2003, 01:33 PM
phayd

1 - Yes
2 - Disabled (radio & engine stripped out) otherwise excellent condition.
3 - No "face plants" but one landing on a barbed wire fence. It caught the wing and slammed the engine into the fence post. Sheared the carb right off of the engine. Front of fuse and left wing required rebuild.
Old 04-16-2003, 01:56 PM
Canard flyer

I still have my orriginal trainer. 1 year of flying on it. A tree is nicely holding it for me
Old 04-16-2003, 01:59 PM
darenm
My Feedback: (2)

This is what you should do after a crash:
http://www.dubairc.com/video/panda_wing.wmv

Makes you feel allot better.
Old 04-16-2003, 02:00 PM
deckerv

Still have my Craft-Air Scout 15 that I learned to fly on Been crashed several times, looks like heck, but still flyable if I really wanted to fly it.... I would love to build another one.. but cannot find a kit anywhere. I did retire mine about 18 years ago Still have the very first plane my dad built but we never flew.. an Ace All Star Bipe.
Old 04-16-2003, 02:00 PM
Cactus.

forgot to say...
what to do after a crash
take a pic for the club web site
if the owner is a little annoyed about the crash, take it when hes not looking, other wise, grab the cam and run out to the wreck first
Old 04-16-2003, 03:04 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Clean up the mess. Go home. Salvage what you can. Pour a stiff drink. Grab a few catalogs and pick out the next one.

My first trainer made two flights (a Sig Kadet built 20 plus years ago and "flown" without instructor or knowledge). More recently, my second trainer made about 100 flights. My 'instructor' crashed it on it's maiden flight before I had a chance. It had a charmed life after that until a major lawn dart incident a few weeks ago.

I have a tail section that might look good on my mantle, LOL! If only I had a mantle.
Old 04-22-2003, 10:48 PM
Just1kamikaze

Default What I did to clean my....

What I did to clean my OS 52 four stroke.
After it buried itself in the dirt from an altitude of about 100 feet , I took it home to start working on it. See when the wing shears off the fuselage doesn't want to fly and comes down like a bomb . Fortunately, it was in a plowed field. Anyway, when I got home, I filled my sink with very hot soapy water and began dismantling the engine. I had it completely tore down and in the water. Once I washed a part off I rinsed it with hot water and dried it thoroughly. Then I added a generous amount of after-run oil and rebuilt the engine. This way I didn't have to worry about any fumes or cleaners. The engine sat in the basement for about five years because I never needed it until, about 3 months ago. I bought one of those Senior Kadet ARF's. Though I haven't flown it yet, I decided to see if the engine would run. That sweet thing turned over and purrrrred. I gave it the gas and she said "Let go" I must say that I'm a firm believer for OS engines.
Old 04-23-2003, 03:00 AM
easysport
My Feedback: (2)

Ahh yes just had to add my trainer to this fine list. First my Avistar did a one point landing into a fenced sewage pond for the local fair I climbed the fence and " fished" it out went home and was out flyin the next day after dumping the water out of the wing and rebuilding the front end. Took off from the field and it turned right and headed for the crowd oops forgot balsa soaks up water and had to have one of the "OLd Guys " save my bacon. Flew it till I got an Easysport whose tail is mounted into my garage wall right now after a major dork. Well dug out the Star and was warming up for the year and took the boy out with me to train.Big Mistake did a China Syndrome dive.It is amazing how deep you can burry an engine into the ground the muffler was 8 in. below ground level. and no my star will rise no more.
Old 04-25-2003, 12:16 AM
RC Havoc
My Feedback: (-1)

I would pull the whole engine apart and clean it up. You never know if theres a little peice of sand or dirt resting on the piston, just waiting to wedge itself inbetween your sleave and piston. Whenever I buy a new engine, ill usualy run 2 or 3 takes through as rich as possible, then take it apart and clean out all the metal shavings. Just to be safe
Old 04-25-2003, 07:52 AM
Cactus.

did i forget to say laugh and throw it again?
but then, it was a EPP combat glider
Old 04-26-2003, 08:11 AM
Luke 3D

What i do after most crashes- Smile!Gives you an excuse to get a better one as a replacement! If its a long walk at least its good exercise.
If my Funtana crashes after I've got it i will probably cry though-my best plane dead after it took me 2 years for me and dad to save up enough.But i shouldn't talk about it because i do not want to tempt fate!
Old 08-13-2003, 01:19 AM
rainman87

Sorry to hear about your loss, seriously.

In 1 week, I had my Funtana come apart mid-air (3rd flight ever), straight into the ground.

Following weekend, my Magic, which I've flown 60 times plus, for no reason, 10 seconds into flight had a glitch, no control, full throttle, 45 degrees into the ground. Two flights later, brand new Stik, after a vertical stall, rolled pretty much straight into the ground. All I can think of is, rx in Funtana went in stik, plane didn't respond (or I stalled the surfaces, though witnesses say I was going well fast enough to get out). Swapped batteries with Magic, no response. Maybe bad battery?

I've also had a spad go straight in (too much flex in elevator rod).

I've had 2, yes, 2 Hobbico Electrics go straight in (lack of experience and wind).

All I can say is I've bought 4 brand new rx's, 4 new crystals, about 20 new servos, and another new radio. I'm getting ready to package up my radio, three rx's and sending them off to be checked out or thrown out. I'm in the process of buying new batteries as well.

I agree, throw out the cheap stuff. Why risk $30 worth of stuff on hours of building, money for kit and engines/engine parts. It is really sad when you pull a brand new ABC engine out of 3 inches of hard soil.

later
al
Old 08-13-2003, 05:56 PM
Blue_Moon_

Default Re: curiousity / Trainers

Originally posted by esacjack
How many of you whom have been flying for quite some time, still have your very first trainer? And what condition is it? How many times have you planted it?

1- Yes

2- The right ving-half is smashed-in, and the fuselage is ripped apart in the middle.

3- around 4 times (first pretty soft in the snow, and the last crash was..... yeah the last probably )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.