Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Wheel fell off

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Wheel fell off

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2004, 09:31 AM
sdavied
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel fell off

I was flying my GP Extra .40 when all of a sudden, the right wheel fell off! I knew I was only going to get one landing so I flew around for a while before an attempt. My plan was to fly a normal approach and land on the remaining wheel by lowering the left wing and using a little opposite rudder to keep it straight. I made a few "practice" approaches as I have never slipped this plane to landing before. All looked well and I cas comfortable with the cross-controls. Then - the moment of truth. I brought it down to the deck per my plan. I landed on the left wheel and rolled out, increasing aileron to keep the naked gear off of the ground. When the plane got too slow the right wheeless gear came down and tore the gear out of the plane. Oh well, some epoxy and a little time and it will be flying again. No other damage.
Old 10-22-2004, 06:18 PM
TOPGUNNER

Default RE: Wheel fell off

the landing tore the Gear right out of your fuse... Ouch**

how fast were you going........did you land in tall grass??
Old 10-24-2004, 11:54 AM
jzinckgra
My Feedback: (11)

I was flying my GP Extra .40 when all of a sudden, the right wheel fell off! I knew I was only going to get one landing so I flew around for a while before an attempt. My plan was to fly a normal approach and land on the remaining wheel by lowering the left wing and using a little opposite rudder to keep it straight. I made a few "practice" approaches as I have never slipped this plane to landing before. All looked well and I cas comfortable with the cross-controls. Then - the moment of truth. I brought it down to the deck per my plan. I landed on the left wheel and rolled out, increasing aileron to keep the naked gear off of the ground. When the plane got too slow the right wheeless gear came down and tore the gear out of the plane. Oh well, some epoxy and a little time and it will be flying again. No other damage.
Ha! This exact same thing happened to me this summer with my GP Venus. I tried doing what you did upon landing, but eventually the other side has to come down and when it did, R I P. Bye-by elanding gear. A little epoxy made it good as new. The funny thing was the wheel and wheel pant fell off in some pretty thick forest and I sorta had an idea where it might have landed. I took a walk in the woods and after about 10minutes, I found it! Couldn't beleive it. It's like finding a needle in a haystack, but I think the bright red color of the wheelpant helped a lot.
Old 10-24-2004, 04:52 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I have had this happen a couple of times and it is the only time that I prefer asphault to land on over grass!
Old 10-25-2004, 08:43 AM
britbrat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It just happened to me last week with my Blue Movie. Fortunately we have a concrete runway -- no damage
Old 10-25-2004, 09:11 AM
Bruno Stachel
My Feedback: (4)

I did the same thing with a Super Stick 60 a couple of years ago. I brought it in on the one wheel and actually got it to roll and settle down on the wheel-less side of the gear. After a ground loop, all I had to do was brush off some dirt and grass. It was pure luck.
Old 10-26-2004, 05:01 AM
Vortec

Happend to me 3 weeks ago with my ESM extra. I was doing a trimming slight for a patern comp and over shot the runway on first atempt, and noticed only one wheel..Needless to say i came in realy slow the next time and 2 pointed it then it dug in and fliped over...
No damage just a new wheel needed..
Old 10-26-2004, 09:20 AM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well my wheel didn't fall off, but I had a landing gear go sideways on me. It was caught in a photo by one of the members of the club. Luckily there was a bit of a head wind and when I brought it in for landing, I slowed it as much as I could without a stall. The RC gods were with me cause when the front wheel hit, the gear swung around almost in its original position. It did not roll very well and the plane skidded to a stop, but all was left intact. Just had to put a screw back in and kept flying. Here's the pic my friend took.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88957.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	186872  
Old 10-30-2004, 02:07 AM
redraider08
My Feedback: (1)

This happend to me with my maiden flight on my kadet senior. it was my first plain to build so it was pretty scary. My dad flew it first since i had only been flying for a couple of weeks, and about 200 yards from the strip the right wheel fell off, then while thinking of what do to about the situation the other fell off. so after flying without wheels for a while we decided to kill the motor and glide it in slow and catch it. so me, my brother, and a coouple of my cousins ran under the plane waiting for it to get low enough to grab and as it got low enough i jumped up and cought it by the landing gear. then we put some other wheels on and had a few flights and actually landed on the runway! later my dad asked if i filed down the axel where there screw went, and shure enough i didn't. but in the end it turned out to be a good time and gave everyone something to crack jokes about! I have a video of it and will see if i can get it posted.
Old 10-30-2004, 02:15 AM
Wing-Ding

It happened to me on my 4*60. With the weight of the right wheel missing, the plane listed to the left and favored the side of the landing gear that still had a wheel. It was on asphalt, so no damage.
Old 10-30-2004, 05:08 AM
LuckyArmpit

When I had my H9 Arrow, I had the plane at just about take off speed when the front nose wheel and shaft comes off!!!!!
Plane does a nose plant and the OS .46's prop hits the ground and just stops!!! Actually, kinda funny looking!
Turns out the screw that held the shaft in had loosened up and fell out.

Dave...