Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Great Planes P-38 on maiden day

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Great Planes P-38 on maiden day

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2004, 01:28 PM
Falcon0988
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes P-38 on maiden day

Well, on the it's third flight, I got too confident and tried a couple rolls. Got disoriented, and by the time i figured out I was inverted, its was nose down at about 30-40 feet. I hit at about a 30-40 degree angle, on a wing and cartwheeled into oblivion. At the crash scene, it spread over 30 sq yards. The engines and one gas tank went the farthest. Engines were tuned just right, within 100 rpm and sounded awesome. They made it through and look to be alright, but I need to inspect them closer. The radio gear looks alright, but only testing them will tell me the truth. Even though I hardly got to fly it, I loved this plane, especially when I made a couple low level passes and made my best landing ever, for all planes, and got applause from everyone. It was extremely stable in flight. I have set it aside for now, and will decide what to do. I do want another 38, tho. I will either buy a new one, or maybe rebuild, but I don't think I could. I had bought it, built and I covered it, off of RCuniverse. If anyone has one that they don't think they'll get to, or started, but don't want to finish, I just might buy it in the near future, when I get over the shock over my first true horrible crash. I've been flying since June, so I had the club pres. fly it on its maiden. I miis it already (maybe I can talk my parents into buying me the stuff for a Ziroli b-25 because I'm suffering from post-traumatic stress of crashing it )

Hunter
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14572.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	188155   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41586.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	188156  
Old 10-30-2004, 01:38 PM
britbrat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Great Planes P-38 on maiden day

Serious bummer. What a shame you only got to enjoy 3 flights. I don't want to offend you, but maybe you weren't quite ready for a warbird, & a twin at that (you said that you got disoriented -- a sign that a bit more stick time is needed). Rebuild or replace, but practice some more with a somewhat more forgiving bird before you break your heart again.
Old 10-30-2004, 06:02 PM
Downtrodden

The loss you're feeling will be what inspires you to practice, practice, practice at flying. Although it's hard to take it sure is invaluable experience. In this hobby if you're not thorough you'll be made aware of your mistakes soon enough, but nothing beats the satisfaction of flying your own planes. I hope you're up in the air soon and happy flying!
xs
Old 10-30-2004, 06:04 PM
Falcon0988

Yeah, everyone at my club said that if I redo it, I should change the scheme so that it is scale-looking on the top, but funky looking colors on the bottom so that I can tell the difference. I didn't have d-day stripes on either side. At the distance I was out, it looked the same. The crash, now that I've calmed down, looked somewhat like a split-s that just started too low. Everyone at my club said I should rebuild. This plane flew better than my trainer (at least thats what i think). My neighbor said he may help me get a new kit and build it and he may hire me out to mow his yard, too. I was thinking that i may build the palmer B-25, since he states that it uses .25's (not sure if I trust his "ideal weight" ) I've also heard that the plans aren't of the best quality. I like the idea of a B-25, so if anyone knows of another plan that is small enough to accept .25's, please let me know.

Hunter
Old 10-30-2004, 06:30 PM
SilverEagleBW
My Feedback: (1)

Falcon,To bad about that plane,DARN!,,That is a profile plane,heck,rebuild it,if you do not have the plans for it contact the guy you got it from he might have them.If not see of your LHS can order you a set from Great Planes.I've rebuilt a whole lot worse crashes than your P-38.
Old 10-30-2004, 10:40 PM
xplayer930

Yoman profiles are great, there cheap, and just about disposable!!!
Old 10-31-2004, 08:55 AM
Falcon0988

Well, last night I stripped alot of the ultracote and started to look at it, and here is where I'm at. I know I can get the wing built nicely, but I'm gonna need to build completely new booms for this thing. I would like to completely sheet this thing with balsa and ply because my neighbor said he would let me borrow his airbrush system and would help me rebuild or build a new one. I might just get a new one and build it the way I want, and build this one to hang up from my ceiling to look at. One idea I had was to build new booms that would be 3D, not profiles. But that would take a lot of work.

Hunter

Name:	Ge94355.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	188395  
Old 11-01-2004, 02:34 AM
Flying Scotsman 70

It look simple enough to re build but if you do re-build be careful of the weight twins need to be built light good luck[8D]
Old 11-01-2004, 11:50 AM
ksechler

Falcon:
You don't have a heck of a lot to work with. If I were you, I'd buy another kit and start over. That things pretty trashed. If you do rebuild it, you have to set up a jig so your wing is straight when your done. Then you'll need to add braces where your spars cracked. You will be hard pressed to end up with a straight wing with sufficient strength.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:39 PM
Falcon0988

Well, here it is, ready to fly on Saturday (I hope, weather permitting, forecast says it should be a pretty good day and if my dad isn't too tired from going to Homestead and back). It does weigh some more, I don't have a good scale, but it feels a little heavier. I covered it with ultracote and monokote, then hand painted the D-day stripes and the white stripe underneath. When I looked through the wreckage, I tested the radio gear and found one servo was stripped, so I just went and bought a new one, instead of getting new gears, which I may do for a future plane. Along with the Sharks mouth, I may still put a name on this plane, but I can't figure out what. I spent about 5 hours covering, trying to do my best, but I was also watching tv while I did it. I built completely new booms, but used the same tail section and engine mounts. I don't know much about paints, but I used cheap walmart paint and don't know if its fuel proof. Does anyone here know? If not, would walmart clear gloss fuel proof it? (I don't want the stripes to streak from the fuel getting on it)

Hunter

Name:	Nl29782.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	193894   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kg15278.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	193895   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz67462.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	193896   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mg98778.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	193897  
Old 11-17-2004, 10:53 PM
Broken

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking at your before and after pics it looks like you did a good job putting it back together!!!!

I'm not sure about the paint- I don't think it will run from fuel but it might peel or flake... But look at it this way- Over time it will give you that perfect battle scared look...
Old 11-18-2004, 05:17 AM
SilverEagleBW

Falcon,You did a great job at rebuilding that plane!
Old 11-18-2004, 06:15 PM
tonystro

Falcon....

Great job rebuilding! Perhaps you might call it BONES, a name Dad gave to a B-25 rebuilt from the 'useable parts' of three other planes in his Squadron serving in China during 1944-45. This seems appropriate since that's about what you had with which to start the rebuilding.
Old 11-20-2004, 04:17 PM
Falcon0988

Well, I got one flight out of it today, but it lasted only 30 secs or so. I had taken it out earlier and attempted to take off, but I went off the runway, but I was near flying speed (didn't get up, looked down to kill the throttle and it hit a big bump and did a horizontal cartwheel). Brought it back in, started up the engines, and tried again, once the wind died down, I got up, but it kept wanting to roll left( I was thinking that the left engine wasn't running very good) I got it down, barely making it to the runway before it set down. I took it to the table and looked at it, the rudders were set, with neutral trims, to the left. We got it fixed, but the tested the engines, and one of the glow plugs wasn't lighting very good, so I've now gotta get some more plugs.
Old 11-20-2004, 06:57 PM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

WOW! Good job on the repair! That was quick! How'd the paint hold up so far? []
Old 11-20-2004, 10:42 PM
Falcon0988

No problems with the paint. The other members of the club loved it and were shocked it was the same one.

Hunter