Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

RIP Funtana 40 (And everything else on the plane too)

Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

RIP Funtana 40 (And everything else on the plane too)

Old 11-07-2004, 08:35 PM
kevod
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RIP Funtana 40 (And everything else on the plane too)

How many people have lost an airplane, not just crashed it but completly lost it?
Well - add one more person to the list

I was flying my Funtana after putting it back together for the first time after about 1 month of time off (moved equipment from another airplane back into this plane). I was flying straight and level about 2 minutes into the flight when the plane went directly vertical, stalled over and went straight into the ground. I had no control over the plane, I even had enough time to switch to high rate elevator, but still no response at all, and the throttle did not change from the 1/4 setting that I was flying even though I pulled it all of the way back. I think that the battery may have come undone and fell to the back of the airplane causing it to be instantly tail heavy.

Why do I think that the battery came undone? When I was re-putting the plane together I noticed that the rubber bands holding the battery down were worn down and needed to be replaced, but I did not replace them at this time. It was almost 2 weeks before I did anything more with the plane and I did not remember about the needed fix then.

We have a river that goes along the north & west side of our runway, along both sides of this river there are plants (I don't know what they are called, but they look like bamboo) that are between 6-10 feet tall. The plane went directly into these plants, but it could not be seen due to the height of these plants. I also thought that the plane went in on the far side of the river, but a couple of other guys do not think that it was that far out. Me and 4 other people spent about 1 hour looking through one side of the river and could not find the plane. I also went to the other side of the river and look for almost 2 more hours with no luck.

I guess this could make a good argument to make sure that you fix problems that you notice right away, or make it obvious that the plane should not be flown until it is fixed. I am glad that it did not come down near the pits, there were a lot of people there when this happened and could have been dangerous.

So, not only did I loose the Funtana, I lost a very good running Saito .91 4 stroke, 2 airtronics servos (ailerons), 1 hitec digital servo (rudder), 1 hobbico high torque servo (elevators), Futaba 6 channel receiver, 4.8v NIMH receiver battery.

Oh well - I guess that's life! Fly hard on go on with life!

--Kevod
Old 11-09-2004, 02:57 AM
DragonHeart

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: RIP Funtana 40 (And everything else on the plane too)

Sorry for ur loss......... i love my Funtana..............

I thought maybe is a good time to install a lost model bleeper, but then again if the batt came loose as you said i guess it wouldnt work !!!!!!!!!!......... with my batterys and servo extentions i allways reinforce the joints with very strong black tape...... just incase they decided to go walkabouts in flight ..............
Old 11-10-2004, 03:16 PM
NeoGenesis
My Feedback: (27)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I would still be out there looking.

Neo
Old 11-10-2004, 04:18 PM
kevod

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the replies guys!

I would love to be out there looking, but it is hard for me to be able to do that.
I could only stay out until 12:30pm on Saturday (I had about 2.5 hours to search that day). I went back out again on Sunday and looked for about another hour with no luck.

I get off of work too late in the day to be able to go look for it again (it is getting dark when I get off).
And to make it worse it rained quite a bit on Monday & Tuesday -

-- Kevod
Old 11-10-2004, 06:13 PM
powertoys
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sorry for the loss,

Just to add my two cents, the planes are always further out than you think they are. When I lost control (elevator came apart) of my Dago Red mustang and she went into the woods by our field (looked as if near the tree line). I searched for five hours with no luck, brought the three kids and searched for another six hours. Then brought two friends from work with a hand held GPS and three machetes to walk a straight path for 4 hours. Two make a short story long the tree line was 3/10 of a mile from the runway, and the plane was another 6/10 of a mile in. That height kind of throws the judgment off a bit. Although it made for one heck of a Miller time as she was in repairable condition and the YS engine was not hurt.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:55 PM
kevod

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Great news for this airplane!!!!

Another flyer was out looking for his downed airplane in the same area that mine went down and he ended up finding mine (but did not his )

My plane was sitting upright about 2 feet off of the ground in the plants (bamboo looking things, I don't know what they are really called) It never hit the ground despite going what looked like directly down at about 1/4 throttle.
The only damage to the airplane is from water seeping into the wood and some mold growing on those areas over the 2 months it was out there.
Other than that the plane is perfectly flyable (the wooden prop was not even broke!!!!)

Also, supprisingly the motor does not appear to be rusted out at all! (I'm saying my thanks to the Saito gods!)

I am hoping that with some dry out time it should end up being ok.

Postmortem - (I know you all are thinking that) -
It appears that due to stupid setup I had put the receiver too far away from the switch, which put some tension on the line that supplies power to the receiver and it vibrated/pulled out of the receiver therefore killing all power to the receiver. Other than that line being disconnected everything is intact.

-- Kevod
Old 01-07-2005, 05:20 PM
litebipe

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Simply amazing. I remember feeling bad for you after reading this thread some time ago. Good to hear!

Did you buy replacement equipment in the meantime to fill your loss?
Old 01-07-2005, 05:22 PM
litebipe

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This story makes me want to do a little random searching in the tall cat-tails near my home field!
Old 01-07-2005, 05:27 PM
Montague

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Congrats on getting your plane back.

Btw, that's a good reminder that it pays to put ID in your planes. You never know when someone might find a lost plane and return it to you if they know how to reach you.

Lost plane alarms are nice too, when the battery stays connected.

When I was learning to fly, I crashed one way out, and wound up looking for 3 days. I finally found it by using a machette, loping shears, compass, goggles, etc to basically cut a grid pattern through the brambles. Found 2 other planes before finding mine as well.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:20 PM
powertoys

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Alright Kevod! I can only imagine the smile on your face was as big as mine was. If the mold has rooted itself in that porous balsa, take a damp cloth or Q-tip with a 10% bleach solution and wipe the infected areas to make sure that it doesn't come back. Down here in Florida, if you don't kill the mold it is only a matter of time before it comes back.

Mike
Old 01-07-2005, 11:13 PM
RC-Captain

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

YES .[>:] I lost my favorite EP plane almost the same way, the Freedom Flyer . I over ran the batt and I was about 500 feet above the earth . At first I thought I was shot down but then I learn what being shot down was really about .

I'm glad someone found yours but mine is going through the third season being lost come spring..

Get a key finder . It runs on its own battery . A sugestion told to me when I lost my FF but I still haven't bought one [:-].
Old 01-08-2005, 07:52 AM
kevod

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yeah!!!

I was very excited to get the plane back. I just got it back yesterday morning, so I have not had the chance to do anything with it including test the radio/motor.

litebipe: Go looking, this proves that you never know what you will find!!!

Motague: I will start posting my contact information in all of my planes. I had never met the guy who found it before, luckily he was honest enough to call the club president about it, which happened to be one of the guys that helped me look for the plane when it first went down.

Powertoys: I may have to do it that way, but I would have to cut into the covering of the wing as the first 3 ribs have mold on them.
Kind of ironic isn't it - I have to do more damage to the airplane to fix it than the crash did!!!

RC-FIEND: That is a long time to have lost an airplane and never found it, the longest that I have heard of before yours was a local guy found his airplane (in the same area as mine) 9 months after he crashed it there.

-- Kevod
Old 01-08-2005, 11:45 AM
powertoys

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: kevod

Powertoys: I may have to do it that way, but I would have to cut into the covering of the wing as the first 3 ribs have mold on them.
Kind of ironic isn't it - I have to do more damage to the airplane to fix it than the crash did!!!

-- Kevod
If you could mist the bleach solution through the servo mount or other hole with something like those nasal sprays then let it air dry, that might do the trick. All you have to do is kill the spores, and the balsa will not get soaked.
Old 01-08-2005, 12:02 PM
TOPGUNNER

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: litebipe
Simply amazing. I remember feeling bad for you after reading this thread some time ago.
WOW!!! my thoughts exactly!!.. I read this and thought to myself "MAN.. that must really suck!" but cangratz!!
on finding your baby.... Reminds me of the r/c plane found in the middle of the ocean, picked up by some fishing boat and brought back to the owner after almost a year... <---- maybe it was 6 plus months.....

Glad you got everything back....
Old 01-09-2005, 06:09 PM
antslake
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What, no picture?