Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

It's the end of the world..

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

It's the end of the world..

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 08:48 AM
aerobatixkid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It's the end of the world..

..For me anyway

Today I lost my Avistar to a radio hit. As asoon as the plane lifted off the ground, it went straight up, I had no control and then it banked to the left and went nose in..

I'm without a plane till I get a job next summer.. Great.

Shane
Old 11-21-2004, 09:07 AM
jzinckgra
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: It's the end of the world..

Are you sure you got "hit". Did you make sure the plane was balanced correctly?
Old 11-21-2004, 09:16 AM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bummer, Shane....

....maybe a flyer will give you a decent used trainer....[]

FBD. []
Old 11-21-2004, 09:20 AM
aerobatixkid

Can't be the balance.. I changed nothing and I had 60+ flights on this plane.. Also I had had 2 flights on it this morning before this happened, this was my 3rd tank today.
Old 11-21-2004, 10:10 AM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear your loss. Was it a total loss ? As per Dave, hope you get a used plane cheap and good.
Old 11-21-2004, 12:40 PM
smokingcrater

if only the airframe was damaged, put together a spad! it might cost you $20 total, at least if you are able to salvage all the parts off the avistar.
Old 11-21-2004, 04:07 PM
scoli121
My Feedback: (20)

Ebay man! Ebay... You can get Avistar parts on there pretty cheap. I had one a while back and had to replace the fuse. I think I paid $30 for it and it was brand new. it's worth checking if you're gonna be w/o a plane.
Old 11-21-2004, 04:15 PM
nitrobasher
My Feedback: (2)

might i recomend the sig four star kit. I know its a KIT but i got one, and im tellin you its easy. I finished it in 3 days (but then again i dont havea job or anything. very worth wile and fun
Old 11-21-2004, 04:58 PM
smokingcrater

to build your first kit will probably cost well above what a cheap arf will go for, although you can spread the cost out some.

4 star kit goes for $70, $20 in monocote, $15 in CA/epoxy/kicker, $20 for covering iron, $30 knifes/sanders/misc small building stuff, so that is up to $150+ MINIMAL, assuming you don't have any of it already. kind of interesting that the ARF goes for $150, exactly the same it would take to get the kit and equipment.
Old 11-21-2004, 07:13 PM
a_bubas_sign

Just out of curiosity what condition are the elevator hinges in? I busted the tail off of mine last weekend when I tried to land it. During the flight it decided to go nose up for some reason and during landing it was real sluggish to elevator inputs. When I recovered it from the runway I found that the hinges had come about two-thirds of the way out.
Old 11-21-2004, 08:35 PM
aerobatixkid

well guys, i really dont need another trainor kit... I have my extra 300 almost complete, and my mom asked me what I wanted for X-mas so I said FUNTANAS 40! Pretty sure my grand-dad will buy me an Engine for christmas, Saito 72
Old 11-22-2004, 08:10 AM
Villa

gp300....In my opinion, most "radio hits" are something else. Pilot error, equipment failure, or self induced interferance are more likely. If this is not addressed then the next plane may suffer the same. I have been flying for over 30 years and have over 100 crashes to my credit. Others seem to have "radio hits" all the time. I have an occasional "glitch" that makes me wonder. They only last a fraction of a second. If I cannot pinpoint the cause I will retire the equipment.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:41 PM
a65l
My Feedback: (17)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

60+ flights.... are you sure all your connectors were tight? Dosen't take much to pull out the battery, freezing a servo in one position.

I've got another story.... I have a warbird that I had flown successfully quite a few times. Then one day, out of the blue, it acted like it had gotten tail heavy, or like the elevator servo was stuck full up. Would only climb, then stall, was only luck that I managed to save it. Examined plane, radio, servos, etc etc, couldn't find anything wrong. So back we went out again, and as soon as I got some speed up it jumped straight up off teh runway, again it was only luck and a good strong .46 that saved it. AFter much head scratching and revewing radio equipment, we tried running the engine up while holding the airplane. Sure enough, as the engine came up in R's, the elevator would go to full up deflection. Turns out that the elevator servo wire was rubbing on one of the mounting screws, and had worn thru the insulation. Right combination of vibration caused the elevator to go to full up deflection, making for very scary moments. Moral of the story is again, radio hits are uncommon, but radio problems are usually the last thing you'd expect.

I do hate to hear you have to go without a plane.... maybee Santa will be kind this year...

Andy
Old 11-22-2004, 10:31 PM
aerobatixkid

Got my extra done, need to maiden it, dont got the guts, oh well. lol

Shane