Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Ever have one of those days ....

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Ever have one of those days ....

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2004, 08:31 PM
rcjon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ever have one of those days ....

... when the brain and thumbs just seem unable to connect properly?

I went to the field today, and it was a beautiful clear cool November day, wind mostly light, but erratic. I flew three of my planes and two of them came home needing repairs - thankfully minor, but could have been, and probably should have been, much worse.

First I started up the .40 size AT6 Texan and headed out to take-off. Zzzwit. Nosed over before I could get her off the ground. Brought her back and restarted, making a successful flight with a nice landing.

Assembled the UltraStick, anxious to try to knife edge with the newly programmed rudder to elevator mixing. I goosed her off the ground and nearly lost it. I had wiped out all the radio settings and reprogrammed everything the night before and wasn't thinking that all the trim settings were gone. An out of trim plane is bad enough on its maiden voyage, but then you are anticipating trouble. This AM, I was taking off a familiar plane - but it was flying all screwy. Managed to get her trimmed without disaster and flew around a bit - but never got comfortable. Made a nice smooth greasy landing and pulled up elevator to plant the tail wheel to taxi - and, you guessed it, she's suddenly airborne again. I goosed the Saito 100 and was flying again. I had flaps down on next landing attempt ran out of fuel about 20 feet off the ground, way down at the other end of the field. Only I didn't realize that I had lost power until I had lost almost all airspeed. She stalled and came down hard and tumbled over. But no damage.

Then I put the Texan back up and again on landing I screwed it all up and managed to catch a wingtip and cart-wheeled her in. Wingtip came off, canopy and vertical fin busted.

A couple of more UltraStick flights without event except for knocking the seeds off a few weeds when I got all discombobulated about right/left/up/down.

I put the US away and got out the old reliable Tiger Stick. First 2 flights with it were fine, although I never felt sharp with it. Our field is oriented NE-SW and the low November sun was blinding on the SW approach. On the third flight I'm trying to shoot some touch and goes by coming in toward me and turning right into the wind to avoid the wicked sun. Somehow, either the wind gusted or I just misjudged - and I thought I was going to fly the dang Tiger Stick into my face. I had to jerk it hard to the right and it stalled right into the ground - breaking the motor mount and tearing the gear off.

I decided to pack up while I still had an airplane or two in flying condition.

Can't wait to get patched up and get back out there after some thumb work on the Sim.
Old 11-26-2004, 09:18 PM
a65l
My Feedback: (17)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Ever have one of those days ....

I know that feeling. Usually I'm lucky enough to recgonize it early and just stand around talking.

I know what you mean about the field orientation..... we got the same problem. At least the sun is out of the way by around 12 pm. I did manage to loose a plane a couple of weeks ago by flying it through the sun, right into the runway at full throttle. What a mess.

Andy
Old 11-26-2004, 09:30 PM
mstroh3961
My Feedback: (4)

Me thinks the reason this hobby is so addictive is that when you feel you've got it down pat.....It will bite you where you sit!

Good Luck with your repairs.
Old 11-26-2004, 10:07 PM
rcjon

>> I know that feeling. Usually I'm lucky enough to recgonize it early and just stand around talking. <<

That probably comes with seasoning. I'm too green to have realized that I had a bad case of "dumb thumbs" today, but looking back on the day's events, I should have quit early.
Old 11-26-2004, 10:10 PM
rcjon

>> Good Luck with your repairs. <<

Thanks. At least it gives me something to fiddle with for a few evenings without having to buy a new ARF to assemble.
Old 11-28-2004, 06:06 AM
LuckyArmpit

I was out at the field friday, day after thanxgiving with my repaired Cessna 182 Skylane. Temp was 38 and some wind but I just had to fly this thing as its never seen a landing on all three wheels yet. After taking off, I noticed that the plane wanted to climb alot. More so than the maiden flight. What eventually happened was the engine came loose off the mount. I had trouble with throttle too. Managed to get it back to field but it glided into the high grass and flipped over. The JR 527 throttle servo was stripped and the engine was missing two screws to the mount. Prolly reason why the plane wanted to climb. That is the one thing I didn't check after the first landing crash!!!
The repairs are easy but I must make sure I check all this stuff before next time. This plane is developing into my "Beater" aircraft"!!!
And I shoulda known that when I gave it throttle when starting engine, I heard binding noises.

Dave...