Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Boy, THAT was stupid....

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Boy, THAT was stupid....

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 12:42 PM
StallN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Boy, THAT was stupid....

The only prop I have been bitten by is on an old trolling motor I was re-wiring. When I turned the switch on, nothing happened. I reached back over the prop to turn it back off and that is when it started spinning. Very minor cuts on the back of my fingers but the impact hurt bad. Big bruses.

I was starting my la40 with a chicken stick when my glow ignitor popped off and fell into the prop as it was starting. It was thrown and hit me in the chest. The twist connection was worn out. Needless to say, it has been retired.

Everyone just needs to be careful.

Later
S
Old 01-17-2005, 03:27 PM
airbatic

Why the pictures?

Kraus
Old 01-17-2005, 09:31 PM
RC MANIAC119
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We should all learn from each others mistakes....BUT WE DON'T!! It's not stupidity.......it's familiarity........and we all know that famous saying...."FAMILIARITY BREEDS CONTEMPT"!
But even when safety is clearly on your mind, things happen...thats the nature of this hobby. Now here's my story...alll true every word.........It was cold, about 30 degrees and my flying bud was starting the engine, I was standing on the tail with the transmitter in my gloved hands. The engine started, but was running very funny..so reached for the needle valve to adjust the RPM.............I did'nt realize until it was over...that the motor was running backwards! When I reached for the needle valve, my glove tip on my middle finger hit the spinning prop...cut the glove and pulled my hand into the prop!!!!! Three fingers slashed......37 stitches..and one totaled glove, and I did everything by the safety book!!!!
This hobby will always be dangerous.so we must ALWAYS BE CAREFUL!!

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it!!!
Old 01-17-2005, 10:48 PM
RC-Captain

the motor was running backwards!
2 questions please , 1. if the motor was running backwards didn.t you feel the force under your foot as the plane should have tried to roll backwards 2. If I flip the prop completely around and start the motor running backwards will the upset any laws of RC airplanes ?
Old 01-18-2005, 09:45 AM
RC MANIAC119
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: RC-FIEND

the motor was running backwards!
1. if the motor was running backwards didn.t you feel the force under your foot as the plane should have tried to roll backwards.............No, the engine was running so poorly that there was no thrust

...... 2. If I flip the prop completely around and start the motor running backwards will the upset any laws of RC airplanes ?
YES..........the engine will not rev-up, which is why I went for the needle valve, not realizing that the motor was backwards.....and of couse the plane won't fly!!
Old 11-10-2006, 08:59 PM
Lilienthal

tsawyer148 - In case you are still a member (haven't checked) how did your fingers heal by now, years later?
Old 11-15-2006, 10:20 AM
pilot727

It is not a stupid thing to do it is just not being careful or not paying attention some people do not put there full attention on what there doing even if it is dangous, like when an engine will not start unless it is opened up, i would not run that engine and i have seen that one many time's i think that almost everyone in this hobby has had contact with the prop i have a few times, once from behind while trying to adjust it brushed me that was when the adjustment was close to the prop i did not even want to put my hand near a strong running engine, i have also been hit several times by a prop before i could pull my hand away, for some reason i have always had the thought of putting my hand into the prop doing some kind of adjustment when i first started specially after i got hit lightly a few times but so far have not but when my engine dont run i surely do not open it and try to start it although i have had many pilots or a few tell me to do so if it wont run sit back have a great time either working on yours or watching others, i have even let guys fly my smaller planes if they had none but i came to understand that they did not respect me or my planes i thought this was the very best hobby and the very best of people but i have learned different, there is always some one trying to get rid of something that is either dangous or does not run at all but 95% of club members are the best friend you can meet and will give you great advise, the older guy's usually but now a days every one is in the hobby and enjoying it, just to throw this in when a hobby store sells a plane or a pilot he should always tell the guy to get instruction and not turn his radio on around any field and what it will do, one guy came to our field and downed an expensive plane they left feeling foolish but it was not his loss.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:39 AM
Johnnie Red

Hey Guys

Accidents always happened, are happening, and will always happen!!
Participation in an accident is sure for everybody that gets born in this world. Even the few people that have wrote on this board saying that they are extra cautious I am sure if they look back in their lives they will see their "participation"....It might be not a propstike but definatelly there is a type of an accident...DEFINATELY...! Now the fatality doesn't make you "stupid" or "dork" since you might be unlucky or victim. So I strongly recomend to all the fellas that are reading this, to have more chances in their lives by not being EGOISTS ....Egoism makes you prone for mistakes...People that have said that are "precautious" and "nothing will happen to them" will also die....and their death might be accidental....So lets lower our egoism, learn from all kinds of mistakes and this is a good start in order not to participate in the next accident in our lives!
Cheers
Johnnie
Old 11-16-2006, 02:39 PM
snys

One of the guys in our club clamped a .46 in a bench vise and was running it full throttle. He was in front of the engine.
You know what happened next. The engine came loose from the vise, and ate some reaaly big chunks of meat out of his chest. [X(]

He was walking around with abig mother plaster on his chest for quite some time. Bet he won't do that again. You can also bet that I won't do it! )
Old 11-16-2006, 08:04 PM
s14slide

ORIGINAL: snys

One of the guys in our club clamped a .46 in a bench vise and was running it full throttle. He was in front of the engine.
You know what happened next. The engine came loose from the vise, and ate some reaaly big chunks of meat out of his chest. [X(]

He was walking around with abig mother plaster on his chest for quite some time. Bet he won't do that again. You can also bet that I won't do it! )
this one sounds like Darwin's Law in action to me. Bet that felt good!
Old 11-18-2006, 05:00 PM
alfredbmor

I had a similar accident about three years ago:
Let me share this story:

First mistake: I was alone at the field with a brand new Plane and Brand new engine
Second Mistake: I mounted the plane on my wood tool box and attached the front of the fuselage with rubber bands with the purpose of break in the engine.

Luckily I was using a wood propeller. I started the engine and turned to look for the radio in that minute the engine was gaining speed and the plane moved to the front of the box, the rubber band was not enough to keep it in place and for a mere reflex I used my hand to avoid the plane to fall from the box and I heard the propeller break and the engine stalling, for a second I thought that the propeller has been broken with the box or a part of the box, since the plane did not fall completely but I was feeling a terrible pain on my fingers and started to see blood everywhere then I realized that I had been cut by the propeller and I saw the tips of my fingers very loose with a bunch of blood flooding my hands and my pants, I felt panic, I was alone, in the middle of the desert loosing bunches of blood, then with only one hand I picked up all my stuff, plane, tool box, chair, table, etc. got them in the car and phoned my wife, she is not very comfortable every time I go to the flying field she hates my planes and the time I spend with them so that call was kind of “I told you that something like this was going to happen” well I informed her that I was heading to the Hospital to meet me there. The doctor at the Emergency room did a great job and my fingers had healed really well,
I have learned some lessons from there, I break in my engines in my back yard and I do not go alone to the flying field and if I arrive to the flying field before anyone I wait till’ somebody show up to start any engine. Of course I do not use my Tool box any more to break any engine in now I have a special bench to do that.
Thanks for the time to read this and I hope it will be helpful to avoid unnecessary accidents in home or at the field.

Alfred.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71712.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	562564