Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Scanner + tire = WRITE OFF

Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Scanner + tire = WRITE OFF

Old 01-19-2005, 03:52 AM
Muza

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scanner + tire = WRITE OFF

The following is the story of the demise of my Phoniex Models Scanner[:@]:

Having just done a go around, I came in and slowed sooner, the wind was still throwing the plane around, so I TRYED for another go around. This time the cut when I was 1.5 metres and crosswind[]. Turned downwind and landed very fast. Yeah I got it down and no damage[X(]. WHAM!! The left 1/4 of the wing hit at about 50kph a car tire that we use to mark the runways. Quite basically, the thing was written off.

Everything of value (except my pride) was salvaged.

But I'm now got another model ready to crash[>:][>:]

John Murray
Old 01-19-2005, 12:35 PM
PickeringRC

Default RE: Scanner + tire = WRITE OFF

Hey john

look on the bright side, your skills landed the plane, it was just unlucky the tire was there
Old 01-19-2005, 12:50 PM
britbrat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why do you use something as intrusive as a tire to mark your runway? If it can be hit -- it will be hit.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:52 PM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

John....

....you have company. If there is one obstacle out there, I will hit it.
One time, there was a big orange safety cone out in the field....Blam !

Another time while landing I caught a wheel in a gopher hole, another total. [X(]

FBD.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:07 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Our field is surrounded by farm land... at one time the farmer was pressing straw bales at the right side of the field... normally these bales end up flat on the ground when the leave the press... but of course there was this one stubborn bale that decided to stay upright, right smack in the middle of my landing approach.
I was flying my trainer in those days... needless to say the reflex to avoid that thing wasn't there. It was a good excuse for me to build a new wing to replace the crappy ARF unit.

So Dave is right keep your field clear... anything that can be hit, WILL get hit.
Old 01-20-2005, 06:48 PM
multicasting

I recently joined another club because they have a field that is good for evening flight. (Pits are west of the runway) Being used to a paved runway on a very open field, I didn't think I would have too much trouble adjusting. Unforunately, there is a "grove" of sapling trees right at the north end of the runway. Since I just joined, they are bare of leaves, and are not very visible in peripheral vision. They are also taller that I thought. Can you see it coming? While turingin in on final, I tagged one with my wing which spun the little aircaft around 180 degrees so that it hit tail first into the next tree taking out the elevator. I was VERY thankfull that the only damage was a broken elevator. The trees ended up being about 10 feet tall. Withough leaves, they are very difficult to spot. Now I have had a chance to watch others in their approach, they swing to the side and kind of land diagonal acorss the runway. I'de rather cut down those saplings!