Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Creamed friends 40%

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Creamed friends 40%

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 03:22 AM
Tenrail
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Creamed friends 40%

Im still shocked and its been a week. I leveld this guy's scratch build sukoi for him. I helped him preflight start up and was watching at his side after a 6 min of his paces he handed the controls over to me and I felt confident. After a minute of plinking i asked if hed mind if id try the flat spin, so i get it into it 800 feet up there and he guides me to add more thorrotle to make it come down slower. It was spinning quite quick and as i released the sticks to nuetral it kept spinning and i paniced and for some reason was holding full down and 3/4 power and he was guiding me what to do as we were both fretting so im listening and holding down and he points to me im holding full down pull up! hes playing with the rates during all of this as the planes about 100 feet about that time i hand him the radio but no time. Looked like full thorrotle strait in.
I never felt so horrible, after talking about all the neet tricks he'd done building it and the quality. Total write off one side of the DA wiped out, pipes. His immediate reaction was it was just fine... insane? Sure was something to take in. -dann

wendell (owner/left) me(right)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15051.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	222083  
Old 01-29-2005, 06:09 AM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

Default RE: Creamed friends 40%

oh you are going to hell for sure now[X(]

j/k buddy box could have saved the day...
Old 01-29-2005, 07:35 AM
aaron2874

ORIGINAL: Alkaline

oh you are going to hell for sure now[X(]

j/k buddy box could have saved the day...

HHHAAAAHHHHAAAAHHHHAAAHHHAAA!!!!!! Excuse me while I clean my monitor. [:@] That made me spit out my coke!!!

I had the same experience. I let a buddy of mine fly one of my planes. It was a 500 dollar arf. He slammed it in the ground and I laughed about it. He felt so bad, but hey... that IS part of this hobby. Don't fly something you can't stand to part with, cuz these things happen, no matter how much we try to avoid it.
Old 01-29-2005, 07:43 AM
Mhale71

if hes laughing about it.. then its ok i guess... well not really... i put a plane into a barbed wire fence today... funny enough i was laughing hehe... its all you can really do..

mike
Old 01-29-2005, 08:27 AM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

Mega Ouch!
Makes you wanna cry.
Sorry about your loss.

Gravity 1 - lift 0
Old 01-29-2005, 09:49 AM
scoli121
My Feedback: (20)

Man! That is SO true... don't fly something you can't stand to part with. I'm currently over extending my budget on a project right now, and I"m gonna be too scared to fly it (almost anyway). That's prime advice!
Old 01-29-2005, 09:55 AM
Russmall

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tenrail, I destroyed a friends airplane in about the same way as you did. My policy since then is a simple one, I do not fly other peoples airplanes. The only exception is to help a beginner learn to fly..........RS
Old 01-29-2005, 11:43 AM
Fletch124
My Feedback: (7)

i don't know if i were you o give the guy $500 or something, thats just me!!!
Old 01-29-2005, 01:45 PM
litebipe

Did you have that hearse, er trailer, at the field for just that kind of incident?
Old 01-29-2005, 02:52 PM
silverdelt

ouch ouch ouch OUCH! crashing your own is something...but having to live with the guilt of crashing someone else's hard work/money...i'm a firm advocate of the "never fly someone else's" policy...obviously the guy just laughed...its not like he was gonna break ur limbs over it...lol...but MAN that must've hurt! [&o]
Old 01-29-2005, 05:29 PM
Tenrail

Lol, he has a fleet of these things 5 more of the same model. He's trying to sell his ARC Sukoi's or find someone to take its blueprints down the road. I took that policy on as well of no more flying other's craft unless the begginner needs assistance. As for the hearse, i dont know where that thing come from but hopefully we wont need its service's again..
Old 01-29-2005, 06:26 PM
HighPlains

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Big difference between flying around an airplane, and putting it into a flat spin. Some designs and/or setups will lock into the spin. You can do 100 spins on a plane and the 101st may not react the same and take longer to recover.
Old 01-29-2005, 10:15 PM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Ouch! I done that, but with a rotten trainer teaching spins to a friend... And felt miserable.... But at least you learned a lot, never fly other's planes, or drive other's cars,motorcycles, lawnmower, wifes, etc....

Enrique
Old 01-29-2005, 10:47 PM
SpeedBird

Try a SPAD next time. I gave the controls to my friend one time with a SPAD on its first flight. He did the same thing. Not a scratch. We both laughed walking back with the plane.
I have lost a lot of others myself though. So, I know exactly why the owner laughed on the way back. It's a part of the hobby. Now it's your turn to trust him with one of your planes. And watch how he flies.
Smile,
Old 01-30-2005, 12:00 AM
BankYank
My Feedback: (63)

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I hate it when guys at the field try to hand you the TX. I just cant bring myself to try out someone elses pride and joy because they want me to. I'll help noobs or anyone that needs help but to do it for fun NO WAY.
I know how i would feel if it were mine[&o]. It's true they ALL have an experation date and it is the owners job to find it[8D]
Old 01-30-2005, 10:30 AM
SpeedBird

You can take your last statement to the bank yank. My friend, whom I consider one of my best, will take "a" plane only if pressed. And if so, has told me in his own words, that any risk is taken up high. This is a good mentor.
Old 01-30-2005, 12:43 PM
BillS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is unfortunate that you had a loss. But why would anyone with only one minute of familiarization time on an airframe attempt to test the flight envelope?
Old 01-30-2005, 09:22 PM
Tenrail

ORIGINAL: erbroens

Ouch! I done that, but with a rotten trainer teaching spins to a friend... And felt miserable.... But at least you learned a lot, never fly other's planes, or drive other's cars,motorcycles, lawnmower, wifes, etc....

Enrique
Heheh test drive wifes, it may as well been if it were my craft.
I dont kno why I did it but I was extremly comfterble with the plane since in 5 years of flying heli's and maidening trainers to scale birds ive never dumbed thumbed a craft in till I happened to get my hands on the priciest one, funny how things work. I was really concentrating on what he was recommending i do to recover wich probably took my brain off my thumbs.
Old 01-31-2005, 11:25 AM
Huntster

All great points but some of us have to live it to learn it! I had a friend ask to fly a Global Cessna 180 (built like a Tank, Almost as heavy too!) that he couldn't make fly to his likeing. I got it to fly once I coupled Rudder and Ailerons. This was on the first flight that I had were it flew well. I hadned him the controls and He made 2 rounds around the field right at tree top level and on his third trip he "couldn't" make the turn. It banked and looked like an attempt at knife edge......The large Oak tree cut it up like a Knife Edge. The plan went into the tree in once piece and came out in 5! Two wings, Rudder and elevator came off in one piece and then the motor came off too.
3 Weeks later it was up and flying again Heavier than ever. He felt bad even though it was easy come and easy go!
We didn't learn from that mistake, It was my turn to feel like crap when I flew his electric glider. It was his own design and while it flew well for him it was way different than what I was ready for. It acted like a lawn dart and that was it! Wing popped off and the motor pushed back in.
I NEVER want that feeling again! I fly MY planes and you fly yours! :-) We can both have fun that way without risking anything.
Old 01-31-2005, 03:29 PM
Homebrewer
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It happens. I lent my plane to a friend and he crashed it due to elevator hinge failure. Not his fault but he still felt bad. I've crashed so many of mine that I don't care if someone else takes up the slack on the rest of my fleet.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:16 PM
HighPlains

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

"Son, your ego's writing checks your body can't cash."

Best line from Top Gun
Old 01-31-2005, 08:48 PM
SpeedBird

I think along the same lines Homebrewer.
Take a look at this. The first time, I bet it was the owner flying.
http://www.w2knews.com/rd/rd.cfm?id=041101FA-SkyCutter

The second time, well who knows?
http://www.teambanana.co.uk/b52crash2.wmv
Old 02-01-2005, 10:20 PM
Swager

I didn't know a plane could break into that many peices!

When you crash, you don't mess around!

Old 02-01-2005, 11:05 PM
Taildrager-inactive
My Feedback: (11)

I don't see Wendell laughing in the picture. I think you owe Wendell a 40% bird ready to fly.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:10 AM
Tenrail

I guess i could sell my truck, lol. I heard homeowners would pay for something like this. Heres a pic of him smiling Man what a lesson.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33687.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	223885  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.