Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

What is the most expensive plane that you have crashed?

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

What is the most expensive plane that you have crashed?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 02:50 AM
GPitts
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the most expensive plane that you have crashed?

I'm just curious, what is the most expensive plane that any of you have ever crashed. How much is it?

-Paul
Old 02-04-2005, 03:47 AM
MerlinL14

Default RE: What is the most expensive plane that you have crashed?

I am surely going to get blown out of the water with my "most expensive" crash. £125.00, Seagull PT-19. All the electronics and engine were undamaged, so just the airframe.
Old 02-04-2005, 07:23 AM
aaron2874

The most expensive plane I have crashed is my Lanier Giant Stinger. Cost 1,800 to build. The fuse broke in half at the front of the wing saddle. Fortunately, it looked much worse than it really was. Had it fixed in a few days and only cost about 10 bucks!

Now for the most expesive total loss: I had a Thunder Tiger Sport 40 that I loved. I lost orientation in the sun and pulled back to gain altitude. Unfortunately, the plane was inverted and I pulled it straight into the ground!! [X(] It was a total loss. Cost me about 500 dollars and broke my heart... []
Old 02-04-2005, 09:29 AM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, if you figure it on a cost per flight basis, my Funtana 40s with a Saito 72 on it. I got in only 11 flights before it went in on high rates. Over all, I still have my most expensive planes flying. I am sure that will change some day. The longer I fly, the more expensive the planes that I put in the air. At least it seems that way.
Old 02-04-2005, 10:26 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Are you wondering about all up cost, or just the airframe?
Old 02-04-2005, 01:53 PM
bobo_54501
My Feedback: (19)

I saw a guy crash a large Bipe into the side of his Wifes NEW Ford Expedition while showing off once . It was the funniest Beating ive ever seen . Wish I would have had the video cammera .The more he tried to talk his way out of it The more she beat him like a rented Mule ...
Old 02-04-2005, 02:27 PM
aaron2874

That would have been a most excellent R/C related video!! LOL!!!!
Old 02-04-2005, 02:38 PM
rcmiket

They all hurt but my worst was my Zoroli Stearman I built from plans. Radio and G-38 made it but the airframe was toast. Hard to put a price on something you loved.-Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71421.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	224880  
Old 02-04-2005, 04:07 PM
FredSheldon

Uh, $165,000, my '79 Cessna Skylane Turbo RG when a rod went out the side of the engine and it was destroyed in the crash landing. Now if you are talking about R/C models, $175.00 for my Graupner trainer.
Old 02-04-2005, 07:18 PM
Torqued-Up
My Feedback: (16)

Well, funny you should ask... I killed my first RC Airplane today... Lost my GP Dazzler when I pulled and shoulda pushed too close to the ground... Made a sickening "THUD" when it buried the engine in the ground @ 70 mph... Unfortunately, I don't think it's repairable...

Ok, I'm not out 165K, but I did lose $200 I paid for it RTF at a swap-meet...

And so far, I haven't killed any full scale aircraft... Knock wood...

Name:	Fd92133.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	224969   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27978.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	224970  
Old 02-04-2005, 07:26 PM
jw637362
My Feedback: (1)

A fellow club member purchased a 30% Carden Aircraft Extra 300s from a gentleman in Canada who built it, Custom Everything.
'Beeeaauuutiful Plane'. Had another club member fly it to trim it out. The second pass made - going into vertical and a snap roll, Off shoots the right wing - The plane came down hard. Smashed!!
Forgot to connect the wings with tie straps.
I had the opportunity to rebuild it and am learning IMAC maneuvers with it.
I believe he stated $2100.00 Bucks
Old 02-04-2005, 07:33 PM
jw637362
My Feedback: (1)

I have another, My wife and daughter decided to come watch me fly one day, had my 40 size bipe that day. I was showing off doing a little more than I should, Crosswind , inverted flight down the runway. Pulled a dumb thumb and scattered it about half the runway.
.60 o.s demolished and the plane was totaled.
I stripped the plane of everything and tossed it. Before I was done packing the car. A scrapper was at the trash can pulling the fuse , I guess he thought it could be rebuilt???
My wife has not been back to see me fly????????
Old 02-04-2005, 08:46 PM
pauluk2w
My Feedback: (7)

I don't think many of us could beat the guys from England that had the giant B52.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:08 PM
GPitts

That B-52 might have been close to 100K![X(]

-Paul
Old 02-04-2005, 09:19 PM
GPitts

The most expensive RC plane that I've ever crashed is my WM P-51 mustang with a YS 1.10. That is also my first crash ever and it hurts more than I thought it would. I mid-aired with a trainer even though there was only two of us in the air![:@] The plane cost $900. The airframe was trashed, also one servo, switch cord, bent crankshaft, chipped cam gear, and a cracked valve cover. Salvaged about $500-$600. I wish the trainer went a little faster! Worst crash I have ever seen and it had to be mine.

-Paul

Name:	Rp44887.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	225040   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72051.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	225041   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vb73973.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	225042   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ib82064.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	225043  
Old 02-04-2005, 09:25 PM
LuckyArmpit

Last year at a local club fly in. I had attended to watch all the glow aircraft as at the time I only flew electric.
There was a guy there who had a 90 ish sized Pitts bipe. He was coming out of a loop and was too close to the ground.
THUD!!!!!! An explosion of wood with millions of pieces everywhere. They picked up the pieces with a blanket.
Everything was toast on the plane including the Saito 4 stroke engine. Since then I joined the club and the pilot who crashed
is finishing up a new one. He said the loss was well over 700 bux.

Dave...
Old 02-04-2005, 09:46 PM
thewrap

Well my crash really sucked. I was flying and was about to land when some dude narly runs into me so he gets to land. I pull out to do another pass. While the guy steals my run way again so I go the other way. (Unfortanately i didn't get much sleep the night before.) And I had my best friend watching. I lost orientation and smashed into a building. At first I start looking for my plane then I realize that its on top of a building. I sit down and start swearing the crap out of that. Oh by the way. I as only 10 at the time. I smashed an Ultra stick 40 with a 46fk I lost all the airframe and the motor and spinner. Cost. about 280. Other wise. I wrecked my Funtana because the landing gear came off
Old 02-04-2005, 11:06 PM
whoover619

I crashed a trainer because i hit a telephone wire and it ripped my tail off and the plane flew into the ground. I saved everything but my engine took a good beating and lost compression because little metal flakes were in the piston head and when i cleaned it out it was too late.
I also wrecked my GP Dazzler because i glued a piece of flat balsa to a dowl and stuck a washer with a streamer on it and when i was flying i turned upside down for a low inverted pass and i shook it a bit because the washer didn't fall right away, as i was shaking it i hit the dual rates switch and it went out of control and hit the ground. It broke the nose off was the major damage but it was a kit so i had saved the pieces left over fortunatly and used some epoxy to fix it and used hobby lite to fill the gaps. very easy fix i got lucky.
Old 02-05-2005, 12:17 AM
hap2bee

I didn't crash this plane, but was at the field the day a friend lost radio contact with his jet. It went about a mile out and landed in the bottom of a ditch under a big thorny bush. It took 5 of us about 3 hours to locate it. When we found it about the only thing to salvage was a few of the servos and the gear and a few other electronics. The turbine may get rebuilt, but had also taken major damage. My guess is it cost at least $3500 to replace the parts in that wreck.
Old 02-05-2005, 12:05 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I stuffed an award winning 1/3 scale Weeks Bipe. 8' wing span. It belonged to a freind. The plane was 5 years old and was a awsum but had never flown. After two laps around the field it became uncontrolable. It would slowly start to turn right until I had all the aile in it. As soon as I would touch the rudder it would snap inverted. When I would would push to a half outside loop and roll it over it was fine for about 30 seconds. Then it would start to go right again. This happened about 3 times and I saved it. The fourth time it was to low. If I had it to do over again I would have landed it were it was at.(if I could have) It was over a cotton field and the stalkes would have shredded the fabric covering. It least it would not have been a total loss. He did save three servos the RX and the battery. I don't know how much cash was in it. I was more upset than he was. It's way worse to crash someone elses plane than your own. No matter the cost.

David
Old 02-05-2005, 12:31 PM
davidmor

Mine was a 27% Midwest Extra that I spent a winter building, and sifted through some trees. Airframe was a total lost, a little bit of radio/servo damage, and my Brison 3.2 had to go in for repairs. When I added up the cost to get back in the air with another plane, including the needed engine and radio repairs it was just under $700. [:@]
Old 02-05-2005, 12:57 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

A plane is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it.....

I had just turned down $18.5K for this plane when I went down to a lockout.

Name:	Rp44956.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	225279  
Old 02-05-2005, 02:29 PM
GPitts

Aww man that sucks.

-Paul
Old 02-05-2005, 10:52 PM
Kota_air
My Feedback: (3)

I have a WM P-51 also. I bought it from another club member for 200 bucks. The plane, radio, motor, everything.
I had it about 2 weeks and was flying the grey Mustang on a grey overcast morning. I was 3/4 around the field when I lost orientation and couldn't tell what direction it was flying. It went in full throttle just behind a small rise. It made a wonderful explosion of balsa wood.
I drove my SUV out into the field knowing it was in more pieces than I could carry. It piled in the nose back to the canopy and did some minor damage to the wing. Broke the carb and engine case on the OS 72 FS. I picked up every piece I could find and used the parts to trace out new ones. Some parts I only had one half and had to flip it over to make the whole former. I ordered a new engine case and carb and It took me a couple of weeks but you can't tell it ever went in. It's one of my favorite planes. It looks so scale when it flies by with the gear up.
Old 02-05-2005, 11:22 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Your a modeler Kota, good for you it is a dying breed.........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.