Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

big stick crash

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

big stick crash

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 02:56 PM
rccrazedman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default big stick crash

I went out flying today for the first time this season and I lasted one and a half flights. I am seriously disappointed in myself with my dumb thumbs. you would think that after flying from 99 I would not wreck planes anymore. to be honest my list of wrecked planes are well more than I like to admit (14 or so and I'm sure there was more that I can't think of right now) some my fault some not. But this time It was simply pilot error. I pot the plane pretty much coming down at the ground and it was on a 45 degree from where I was standing and I got confused. I didn't know if I should have pulled out or tucked in and I rocked it back and forth till it planted the prop and spinner and half of the motor into a deep hole in the ground. I ripped the wings into many pieces and I destroyed everything from the middle of the radio compartment forward into little tiny pieces of confetti plywood and all. radio pieces where laying right next to the hole where the motor was sticking out. I didn't access the damage yet because I'm just really sick about it. what would be the best way to make a new front piece of fuselage or would it be best just to scratch the whole thing ? I was thinking of the jib way about it but I really don't have the building knowledge for rebuilding a wreck this bad. I used to scrap it but I'm getting tired of spending all of this money.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:06 PM
RC-Captain

Default RE: big stick crash

. I pot the plane pretty much coming down at the ground and it was on a 45 degree from where I was standing and I got confused. I didn't know if I should have pulled out or tucked in and I rocked it back and forth till it planted the prop and spinner and half of the motor into a deep hole in the ground.
sorry to hear about this umpteen crash. But what I quoted above is confusing me. It sounds like you didn't even try to use up elevator or you got confused and used down elevator , or the servo was reversed and you forgot. please explain this. As far as rebuilding I was never good at it . I wrecked two trainers and never attempted to rebuild either one. But I have since moved on to building SPAD planes . The material used is cheap and some of the material is very accessible. They have a forum for SPAD planes go check it out .
Old 03-23-2005, 01:08 AM
rccrazedman

well sorry to be confusing I got the plane coming down with the left wingtip facing me at about an 8 o'clock position and I pulled up elevator then it seemed to be inverted as it didn't seen to respond right so I then added down elevator and that didn't work so I didn't know what to do and planted it in the ground instead of picking a way and pulling hard elevator. It was simple pilot error. nothing wrong with radio and servos were not reversed. just me being really dumb thumbed. I'm kicking myself really hard for it. Now I have like one plane to start the season ( a trainer at that) as I was short in money to get some motors I needed to get my winter projects in the air. for me it's a repair thats probably way to far out of my league. I can scratch build but I don't know if it's even worth bothering or just scratch build a whole new plane. I was thinking to myself just how far gone is to far ?
Old 03-23-2005, 07:32 AM
RC-Captain

Disorientation sounds like the cause of the crash. I did the same thing back in OCT. or NOV. The plane flew over my head in to the sun I lost it found it then as it was coming toward me I frozeand airplane hit nose wheel first. Hey at least I didn't get hit. Since then I learn to stand horizontal to the plane on launches and landings which helps keep the plane in front of me.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:04 AM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

pictures?
Old 03-23-2005, 08:31 AM
rccrazedman

yeah I can get some pictures after work with the digital.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:27 PM
rccrazedman

[link=http://www.flickr.com]Get Your Own Flickr Account![/link]
Old 03-23-2005, 06:50 PM
Old RC Aviator
My Feedback: (9)

Man, That's a cryin shame. I got one looks just like that under my work bench and another one setting here in one piece. The crashed one is my son's.
Jay.